Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
KFXokie
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to improve my performance after adding the bighorn.* Looking for more bottom end and mid range to break the tires loose.** I would like some input on what would work well for my ride.* I have dual exhaust, six holes in the air box, jetted and pre-programmed Dynajet Cdi.* Also would clutch modes be more beneficial at this stage than a cam?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Off the shelf cams from someone like hot cams are not much bigger than stock. Cams work best with hi-comp pistons. To get much performance out of cams you would be much better going with bigger custom cams from a engine builder such as Four Stroke Tech. He also has custom hi-comp pistons. Be careful buying big custom cams without custom pistons. Some of the bigger cams will not have the clearance without deep valve relief pockets in the pistons. So unless you really want to get into the motor, I would have your clutch machined and wait for the dalton clutch kit.

·
KFXokie
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
XChamp,
How much did your FST Standard bore kit run all totaled up and what stage cams did you put in? What kind of performance are you seeing? Top speed, can you spin your tires in a power slide at will, accelaration? I ride on wet sand on the river and Little Sahara dunes a few times a year, what stage cam would be good for my set up? 0 to 50 is more fun than 60+ to me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
KFXokie,

Did you go with a lighter spring in your diaphragms in your carbs when you drilled all the holes in the lid?

This might be part to blame too for your low end losing ground.

·
KFXokie
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No low end lose

My low end is good, I am just wanting more.* I lost the ability to break the tires loose when I put on the Bighorns.* I could bust a donut or power slide much easier on the stock tires.* The Bighorns are very sticky.* I want more low-mid range overall.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
Both Custom Creations and Crowdog have my STD 11.5 pistons and stage 2 cams they are doing for a magazine projects you will be reading about or you can PM them for their veiw on how it works.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I changed out my slide springs and drilled the aux holes in the slides and installed the tpi valves and it made a heck of a differance.. Post up your setup in the carbs and see if we can help ya out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
we just got the epi clutch kits in stock, hopefully get some hours on ours and throw the kit in next week, they didn't use anything from the bruteforce clutch either. talked to tech for a while and was impressed with knowlege they had on the teryx. lots of seat time on it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You should not do off the shelf cams. If you want a HUGE improvement in horsepower and drivability most definatley go with FST 11.5 to 1 and stage 2 cams. Do not use just a slip on exhaust, a full exhaust with equal length headers is the best choice, but it is necessary to run a full exhaust. 1 1/2 is the best choice of header tubing. A VDI box made a huge difference. We found the best timing to be at 30 degrees on pump gas and had no detination. our teryx outran a RZR by at least 4 lengths with this motor set up, at the same time we raced a stock teryx with no cage and it lost to the RZR by alot,,,, way more than 4 lengths, it was not even a contender. The kit was very nice and easy to install, and many people who have driven the teryx are way impressed as we are. It honestly feels like it is going to do a wheelie! That would be awesome...
If anyone has any techincal questions or jetting issues you can call us at any time, we have messed with this thing left and right. For do it yourselfers, you may want to invest in a good air fuel ratio guage. Thanks Mickey for this untouchable kit. and by the way I talked to another company who builds cams and asked them honestly will these be better than Mickey at FST's cams, and they honestly said "NO" we can not compete with him, he is the best!

973 Posts
You should not do off the shelf cams. If you want a HUGE improvement in horsepower and drivability most definatley go with FST 11.5 to 1 and stage 2 cams. Do not use just a slip on exhaust, a full exhaust with equal length headers is the best choice, but it is necessary to run a full exhaust. 1 1/2 is the best choice of header tubing. A VDI box made a huge difference. We found the best timing to be at 30 degrees on pump gas and had no detination. our teryx outran a RZR by at least 4 lengths with this motor set up, at the same time we raced a stock teryx with no cage and it lost to the RZR by alot,,,, way more than 4 lengths, it was not even a contender. The kit was very nice and easy to install, and many people who have driven the teryx are way impressed as we are. It honestly feels like it is going to do a wheelie! That would be awesome...
If anyone has any techincal questions or jetting issues you can call us at any time, we have messed with this thing left and right. For do it yourselfers, you may want to invest in a good air fuel ratio guage. Thanks Mickey for this untouchable kit. and by the way I talked to another company who builds cams and asked them honestly will these be better than Mickey at FST's cams, and they honestly said "NO" we can not compete with him, he is the best!
Kevin,
I would love to see some RZR @$$ kickin!

·
KFXokie
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

I appreciate the info! I was about ready to order FST and found out I have to replace my heat pump on my house.* Post poning future modes for a month or two.* I am ready for the long weekend and will be at Little Sahara a couple of days this weekend.

·
KFXokie
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Little Sahara

Went to the dunes on Sunday morning and rode a half a day.* Got a stock Razor to race and it was dead even from start to finish.* I feel pretty good considering my Bighorns sucked in the sand.* I was spinning all day.* The teryx does fly well though. Hit several jumps getting about 5 feet of air and the suspension was awesome.* The dunes were very rough and the Teryx rode very smooth over the ruts. Paddles and a FST standard bore kit are next on my shopping list.* Razors won't stand a chance.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
good to hear,ill be looking to outrun a rzr or 2 next time i go to the dunes!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts