Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UTV Guide just put out an article on a ride from Big Bear to Las Vegas. Anyone know the route or general route that can be taken? Also account for support stops and at least one night under the stars...

·
Registered
125 Posts
La to Vegas

18 years ago I participated in a "Dual Sport" motorcycle ride that was dubbed the LA to Barstow to Vegas Ride.
I skipped the first days ride, since it covered mostly an area that I frequently rode,and picked up the ride in Barstow on the second day.
( If I remember correctly the ride originated in Newhall, California, at an MC Shop that was then called Dick Allens Yamaha, no longer around)

From Barstow the ride paralleled ( Roughly ) the 40 going east to an area around Ludlow, where we gassed up and then headed north east toward the 15.
Eventually crossed the 15 just north of State-line
( Primm) and came into Vegas from the hills on the south west side of town.
The orginizers of the event had set-up a couple of lunch and gas stops along the way.
Looking at a map of the area this AM, I see the area is identified as the Mojave National Preserve.
Pelossi may have gotten this area banned from future riding on this area.........
Sorry , didn't mean to get political on ya.
Cheers.
FST1

·
Work blows, I wanna ride !!
708 Posts
18 years ago I participated in a "Dual Sport" motorcycle ride that was dubbed the LA to Barstow to Vegas Ride.
I skipped the first days ride, since it covered mostly an area that I frequently rode,and picked up the ride in Barstow on the second day.
( If I remember correctly the ride originated in Newhall, California, at an MC Shop that was then called Dick Allens Yamaha, no longer around)

From Barstow the ride paralleled ( Roughly ) the 40 going east to an area around Ludlow, where we gassed up and then headed north east toward the 15.
Eventually crossed the 15 just north of State-line
( Primm) and came into Vegas from the hills on the south west side of town.
The orginizers of the event had set-up a couple of lunch and gas stops along the way.
Looking at a map of the area this AM, I see the area is identified as the Mojave National Preserve.
Pelossi may have gotten this area banned from future riding on this area.........
Sorry , didn't mean to get political on ya.
Cheers.
FST1
Whats there to be sorry about ?

I bet it would be a fun ride.
________
Weed

·
Registered
769 Posts
who is going to get this set up? Maybe after the new year. I am sure if we got a few of us together we could coordinate the logistics. Let me know, I am in:icon_thumleft:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
April or May

Im thinking April or March may be a good time. The weather may not be as cold. Plus that will give me some time to find the most legal route. I have never had to set up a pit stop type ride so im sure the logistics may take some trial and error.

·
Premium Member
4,030 Posts
Count me in. I'll help in which ever way I can.

I have put together several group rides and once you start getting a larger group it becomes very difficult to manage. The best is a group of 5-8 cars in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Count me in. I'll help in which ever way I can.

I have put together several group rides and once you start getting a larger group it becomes very difficult to manage. The best is a group of 5-8 cars in my opinion.
I agree I would limit it to around 8 cars 10 max. Count me in.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Big Bear to Vegas

The route was assembled by Wally from UTV Outfitterz. You have to be extremely careful on this route, it is very easy to get into many of the wilderness areas out there. (thank Fenstein and Boxer for that) The Wilderness areas are open to 4X4 travel but only to those that meet Ca DMV laws so this excludes plated SXS's. That means you need to zig zag a little to make it work.

Wally has done this in a SXS many times but a group larger then 6 is hard to do because of the dust. I did it with Wally in July as a night ride to Vegas for the Endurocross. There area few variations and it is fairly easy to chase but plan ahead and bring supplies with you because on a ride that long with a big group anything can happen and probably will.

·
Registered
769 Posts
count me in. I am not sure who is willing to take the lead. I do not have any experiance in this route or area but I am willing to help in anyway I can

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I did a very similar ride with Wally and Team Green Kawasaki in the opposite directions a few months ago right after the Kawasaki Dealer show in Vegas. We left Vegas about 8:30 pm and pulled into Cougar Buttes (near Johnson Valley) about 8:30 am. All done at night with new Kawasaki Teryxs. I've got a bunch of SPOT locations somewhere, but I wouldn't do it without Wally. I'll have to dig them up though.

Here is the info and link to video from Kawasaki:
http://blog.utvguide.net/2010/12/big-bear-ca-to-las-vegas-nv-on-kawasaki.html

·
Premium Member
4,030 Posts
I already put in a call to Wally about another trip I am planning. When he returns my call I will ask him about this ride as well. Maybe I can make the run from Big Bear to Vegas with him and then be able to setup a goup ride of some sort.

Wally sets up UTV Adventure rides all over the SouthWest and is the one person I would want leading me on a multi day adventure ride.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm in if there is room for another. :) And am willing to help however possible.. (If a chase vehicle is needed etc..)

RD

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GPS

GPS cord. would help out a lot Im still looking at about March or April. More info for sure after the New Year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thx

I have posted up a crumb trail on my trip report. We went from Vegas to Cougar Buttes (Johnson Valley) with Team Green.

Kawasaki Teryx Run from Las Vegas to Johnson Valley - UTV Guide
Thanks Crowdog, this gets us to Barstow anyone have a trail from Big bear into Lacerne Valley?

I plugged in the GPS Cord. and it looks like a pretty direct route. The route on the post starts by Barstow and is only 177 miles might be good for the first try; however, this takes out the big bear mountain portion.

Are there any gas stations on this route? 177 miles might be pushing it. Crowdog thanks for the help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts