Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals, im just a redneck dumb lineman and im curious. what kind of round tube are these cages being made of, like somthing special other than mild steel or what. i imagine that it is drawn over mandrel not hot rolled electrode welded. but like what thickness. .120 or what? my little experience with this stuff {nerf bars, bumpers, what ever } has only been sch 40 black wall seamed pipe. I know that it is not a good idea for a cage, but realy works ok for nerf bars and other little stuff.
I know there is a better way to do this and save some much needed weight. Ive heard that these things weigh between 1200 and 1300 pounds, and with little hp in stock form every pound means a lot.
Any info would help. Going to try to make some front and rear bumpers and sliders.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just curious, what does a say 1 - 5/8 " o.d. piece of DOM ChrMo 4130 round tube cost per foot right now. Im from Indiana Pa and cant seem to find a supplier that is close, within 3 or 4 hours drive, because shipping i imagine is out of the question with a 21 foot stick. And may be pounds per foot, for the DOM ChrMo. 1 1/4" sch. 40 ERW is around 2.25 lbs. per foot and would like a comparison since it has the roughly the same O.D.. Any info would help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts