Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2014 Teryx 800
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day my wife and I were riding in our 2014 Teryx 800 and I ran over a 4" concrete block. After running over it I noticed that the power steering wasn't working correctly. I shut the engine off to check the EPS fuse and a couple other things. When I went to start the bike back up it wouldn't start. Won't even turn over. I removed the battery and had it tested and replaced the battery because it was only firing on 107 out of 300 CCA. I thought that this would fix the problem, but alas, it remains. Anyone have an ideas on what it could be? I was thinking starter solenoid or starter itself, but I can't find the correct service manual to locate what all I need to take off to get to the starter and solenoid. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

· Jan, Jun, Oct 2021, Feb 2022 TOTM Winner
956 Posts
Maybe a ground wire came loose? What happens when you try to start it, just a click?
What exactly happens other than it doesn’t start.
Do you have any power at all to the cluster, headlights or anything when you turn the key on?

· Registered
2014 Teryx 800
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe a ground wire came loose? What happens when you try to start it, just a click?
What exactly happens other than it doesn’t start.
Do you have any power at all to the cluster, headlights or anything when you turn the key on?
I've checked some of the grounds and they seemed ok. All lights and cluster works. All it does is clicks when it's turned over. It's just like a single click and then nothing.

· Jan, Jun, Oct 2021, Feb 2022 TOTM Winner
956 Posts
Gotcha.
I'd still double check all the grounds just for sharts. Try the cheap stuff first. I recall some people having problems starting because a ground came loose up high under the dash on the passenger side firewall. I think the upper part of the dash had to come off to get to it. I have a hard time searching for old posts on these forums.

Does it act the same in neutral and the other gears? Try starting with foot on the brake?

I think the starter relay is up high under the drivers side of the dash. On the 16+ you gotta pull the upper part of the dash to see it iirc. Not sure if it's the same on the 14-15's?

I'd doubt it's the starter relay though. If the relay is clicking then you should have power going to the starter if it's working properly.
Could maybe try hooking some booster cables from the negative battery post to the engine itself or the starter case? This has worked for me on big trucks that had a bad ground between the engine and frame.
Only other shot in the dark if none of that works is try to tap the starter with a mallet while someone try's cranking it over.

· Registered
2014 Teryx 800
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gotcha.
I'd still double check all the grounds just for sharts. Try the cheap stuff first. I recall some people having problems starting because a ground came loose up high under the dash on the passenger side firewall. I think the upper part of the dash had to come off to get to it. I have a hard time searching for old posts on these forums.

Does it act the same in neutral and the other gears? Try starting with foot on the brake?

I think the starter relay is up high under the drivers side of the dash. On the 16+ you gotta pull the upper part of the dash to see it iirc. Not sure if it's the same on the 14-15's?

I'd doubt it's the starter relay though. If the relay is clicking then you should have power going to the starter if it's working properly.
Could maybe try hooking some booster cables from the negative battery post to the engine itself or the starter case? This has worked for me on big trucks that had a bad ground between the engine and frame.
Only other shot in the dark if none of that works is try to tap the starter with a mallet while someone try's cranking it over.
Thank you. I'll try and get to doing this sometime this week after work. Yes, it acts the same no matter how I try and start it. I really appreciate the advice.

· Registered
2 Posts
Did this ever get solved? I'm having the same issue. When using a test light, have power to cable going to starter only when it's unhooked from starter. No power when I hook the wire back up to starter. Replaced starter solenoid and battery so far. New OEM starters are $700!

Have used jumpers and hooked battery directly to starter and will turn over just fine. Took the starter off and apart. Didn't see anything obviously wrong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts