Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tightened my CVT belt to 22mm spec, and the slippage is gone completely but I cant take the squealing! When it is idle in any gear it squeals like crazy, but as soon as you give it enough gas to move it stops. I try to take it out of gear when stopping but it usually starts squealing before I completely stop. It is just annoying this being a brand new machine and having it squeal so loud. Anyone else have this going on with theirs??

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I think it is too tight too. Did you take out both shims?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have it adjusted to 22mm-23mm, which is in spec. I had to order more shims to get it right. It only had two shims stock, one bigger one and one smaller one, I first took out the bigger one and it was too tight, around 19mm. then I took out the big one and put in smaller one and it was too loose around 28mm. So I ordered 3 smaller shims, and put original smaller shim with another small shim (both together smaller than big shim). This got me to 22-23mm. No slippage but loud squealing. I was told after belt coggs pollish down it will stop. I dont know. I dont want slippage but i dont want squealing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The clutch/belt design is very poor on ALL KAWASAKI automatics. Its great for snowmobiles but a bad idea for atv's, even worse on heavy side by sides. They need a design like Yamaha, Suzuki and AC where they employ a wet clutch for engagement. The belt would be under constant tension and eliminate all the slip and over tight issues. Kawi's design requires much more maitenance and adjustment to keep the belt in the sweet spot. Its really to bad their engineers have their head up their :)

Its been a constant battle over the years with my prairie, get a new belt, break it in then its too loose, tighten to spec then it squeals. After a 100 miles or so back to normal til it stretches out of spec again. I understand why they did it to start with back in the day but there are better alternatives. What makes it really bad now is how difficult it is to get to the clutches on the teryx. I will bet anything that this will change at some point. Too many dealers and customers will complain.

When a good clutch kit comes out it will help the issue with the slippage. Hurry up and wait.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've got 70 hours over 600 miles on my and its been jumping starting off ever since I had it. Never had the belt tighten and about the last 500 miles the belt been squealing, the dealer tells me that nothing is wrong with it, so guest what going to run the sh-t out it till it quits. And you are right, I'm getting pretty good about being able to knock it in nuetral to keep from hearing the damn squealing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not understanding what is causing the thing to squeal.

mudbug - you had no squeal until you adjusted? So you went loose to normal and the squeal started?

alarmman - your belt has to be loose if you've never adjusted and you have squeal?

So what causes it?

The epi clutch...with you posting to this thread are you impling the epi fixes the squeal? What does it accomplish for you?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I set my belt deflection at 20 hours and mine started squealing real bad too. Its not too tight. I have to put it in neutral when I stop or it drives me nuts.

Lance

·
Registered
82 Posts
if the belt is squealing at a idle in drive = the belt is to tight. when squealing for a second on take off its to loose. we always set all the belts up to the tightest setting and ocasionally set one up a little tight and it chirps a little and then quits. epi kits don't have to much to do with squealing problems, just performance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re- Can't stand the squealing

I'm new to the site, but here's some info which might help. I tried using the tool to check belt deflection on mine through the inspection cover, and it's really hard to tell if the belt is at 90 degrees to the plunger tool before starting to measure. So I took the cover off and did it the same way as the Brute by resting a straight edge across the belt between the 2 pulleys, then pushed down on the belt from there to get the proper reading. Mine was fine at 30 hrs, but I could have thought it needed adjustment using the official tool. I'll bet a lot of belt related complaints out there are because of this inconsistency. There are probably a bunch of people who have adjusted their belt when it didn't need it hence the squealing complaints. Mine does the juddery takeoff occasionally in high gear range, but it doesn't bother me, I'm usually pedal to the metal anyway, and it's fine after about 2MPH.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Jim4by - the way yours acts is as mine, but I also only have 10 hours.

You press the belt down to get the amount of deflection. Could it also be an inconsistency as to how hard a person pushes down to read the deflection?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re- Can't stand the squealing

I'm new to the site, but here's some info which might help. I tried using the tool to check belt deflection on mine through the inspection cover, and it's really hard to tell if the belt is at 90 degrees to the plunger tool before starting to measure. So I took the cover off and did it the same way as the Brute by resting a straight edge across the belt between the 2 pulleys, then pushed down on the belt from there to get the proper reading. Mine was fine at 30 hrs, but I could have thought it needed adjustment using the official tool. I'll bet a lot of belt related complaints out there are because of this inconsistency. There are probably a bunch of people who have adjusted their belt when it didn't need it hence the squealing complaints. Mine does the juddery takeoff occasionally in high gear range, but it doesn't bother me, I'm usually pedal to the metal anyway, and it's fine after about 2MPH.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jcummings, My belt never squealed when it was too loose (35-39mm waaayy too lose>from factory). I first tightened to 28mm and began hearing slight squeal. I then tightened to low side of spec - 22mm. At this point it began squealing so loud it is painfull to listen to. I can coast up and pop in neutral when rolling, but when taking off its hard to put in high and immediately floor it to keep from hearing the squeal. I dont know which I had rather live with the slippage or the squeal. Shouldnt have to live with either, its a brand new machine!!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I saw Daltons new Teryx clutch kit out to Vforce John on Kawieriders. I assume a little more testing and Helix will be back on the site to talk about it once its ready to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine didn't squeal when new. After about 10 hours of use it started to squeal. I checked the belt through the inspection plate at 40 hours and the deflection was over 30mm. The belt is definately not too tight. What is causing it to squeal?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know that when you put in any gear, the primary clutch starts spinning. The belt stays still while the primary is spinning inside the belt, this is where it is squealing. As you give it gas the primary clutch moves together and grabs the belt on its sides and the squealing stops. As you slow back down to a stop the clutch lets go of the sides of the belt and it begins resting on the bottom of belt and the primary center shaft, then it squeals. Poor design i guess, I dont know if belt dressing would work or just burn off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
You press the belt down to get the amount of deflection. Could it also be an inconsistency as to how hard a person pushes down to read the deflection?

Use the same tool and push down on the belt with it until it reaches the mark. However, it is a much more consistant way even without the tool. The belt will only deflect a certain amount with reasonable pressure applied.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts