73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of the Teryx owners here have any info on the
charging capacity of these things?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not gunna get it

I was running at night with my KC HiLites 35 Watt HID's (4 of them) and within an hour and a half, my battery was dead and that was running the whole time at a pretty good clip. I turned off the headlights and it still was not enough to run them on the weak battery so ended up turning everything off and following a buddy for a bit then getting enough juice to run just 2 lights. What do i need to do?

·
I WANT ONE
202 Posts
Check Dirt Wheels Mag. or one of the others and see if you can find the phone # or website for "Rickey Stator". If I find it, I'll let ya know.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks

mouser58,

Thank you. I have contacted R.S. and I will let you know when they know.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
The stock halogen lights will use much more power than the HIDs. Make sure you have the HID on a separate switch so you can turn off the stock lights.

The other thing that uses a lot of power is the radiator fan.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks

Crowdog,

Great points and I did just that. I have 2 HID lights (pencil beams) on one toggle and the other two (driving beams) on another designated toggle switch. Neither of them are activated by the stock head lights.
I had Kawasaki Superstore check the charge system out and when they turned on all four HID lights, they drew more than the starter did at 17 Volts. I know HID lights spike at first then lower their draw once at optimum illumination temperature and the ballast is charged and the 17 volts was measured at under normal draw, not during start up.

factory

·
Registered
23 Posts
Lights

Well I am in the same boat as you are factory, Lastnight was the first time out running the extra lights. I was going to contact R.S. on monday and see what they say. I also live close to a good electrical shop going to see if they can fab some thing up. I will keep you updated if you can do the same.Thanks Shane

·
Registered
44 Posts
I want the power!

Shane,

I will keep you posted but I am banking on you though. I have been so wrapped up at work that I have dropped the ball a bit. Run Forrest run! You have the weight of this on your shoulders for now. I will jump back in after I get back from my work trip on the 22nd. Good luck and may the force be with you.

Jason

·
Registered
171 Posts
07fj,

It was kind of like " Doctor when I turn my arm this way it hurts, the Dr. says Don't turn it that way"

The four lights is too much juice but two would be fine.

·
Registered
528 Posts
After startup, HIDs draw much less than halogens. Just put the HIDs on a separate switch so you can turn off the factory lights.
I know how they work, but HW says not to use them, and I wanted him to explain his reasoning behind his comment.

Not get anyone mad, but the reply was sad indeed with no relative data to explain. Keep up the motor and clutch mod info that your good at. Maybe electrical is for someone else on here.

And you should never connect aftermarket lights to your headlights anyways.

Always should be separate.

Rog

·
Just a guy with a toy
66 Posts
I think that was said as a bit of a joke.

·
Registered
528 Posts
FOr most people the output of just converting the stock headlights with HID's will be more than enough light. Several people want more than they need. THese things will hardly outrun the light available in most cases. These are not Baja trophy trucks.

Trouble is, unless people actually see the difference they think they need more lights instead of more efficient light per watt.

HIDs perform this function very well.

Rog

·
Registered
44 Posts
So let me ask this.....

If I run my 4, 35 watt KC, HID's and run them without my stock lights on, would my system be able to keep up? Would that not be the same as the stockers on with 2 additional 35 watt lights?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts