Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have my Teryx4 yet, but when I do, bigger mud tires will be the first thing I do. I've done some searching on this forum & online & I'm not finding what I'm looking for. Isn't there a simple clutch kit for bigger, heavier tires? I don't want to mail my sheave out to be machined & I don't want a kit with a bunch of different springs & weights which gives me a bunch of different combinations to figure out. For example on my current Wildcat it's just a different secondary spring to run bigger, heavier tires. Even a kit with a spring & a single set of weights would be simple enough. I found a Kawi red spring on the JBS website but there's no description of what it does. We do trails & a lot of thick mud. Top end is of no concern to me. I want to run 28x10 Intimidators & they are very heavy at 45 lbs a piece. Maybe there's no "simple" clutch upgrade for these tires in mud? Any help with this would be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have not really looked into the mud setups but from what I gather it seems like you have a couple options. Run portals to get lift that will fit the big tires and it provides gear reduction which allows you to run on stock clutching. The other option would be to do one of the available kits which seem like you are trying to avoid. If you dont want to send your stuff out you can get likely pay JBS or VFJ to have a brand new one machined and sent to you, another option would be to get the STM billet secondary(2012-18 Kawasaki Teryx 4 and 2014-18 Teryx 2 STM Billet Secondary - STM Power Sports), stm also has a weight kit available.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Portals would be my preference but I don't have that kinda money. I shot VFJ a message. Sounds like they can send me a kit with springs/weights for playing in the mud. Not trying to be the baddest machine on the planet. Just want to keep my clutch/belt in one piece while I'm out getting dirty.

Reactions: NeedAWD

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey Man I called up VFJ and he asked me what tires I wanted to run and what kind of conditions. I told him at least 30's and I do hunting which involves mud and some steep mountain trails. He sent me his spring and weight kit already set up for me and what I wanted to run. So now I have a clutch set up to run 30-32" tires. I installed it yesterday and I can tell a good difference.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Hey Man I called up VFJ and he asked me what tires I wanted to run and what kind of conditions. I told him at least 30's and I do hunting which involves mud and some steep mountain trails. He sent me his spring and weight kit already set up for me and what I wanted to run. So now I have a clutch set up to run 30-32" tires. I installed it yesterday and I can tell a good difference.

Is it pretty simple to install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeah pretty easy. Getting all the crap off just to get to the belt is a pain in the ass. Gotta remove center console cover, passenger seat, seat support beam, gas tank. Then you can get to the 8mm bolts holding the belt cover on. Zip off the primary and secondary with impact (must have impact, 22mm for primary, 27mm socket for secondary) oh yeah kit comes with the bolt needed to spread secondary sheeve. Primary is easy to swap out spring and weights, just make sure you put primary in vice with some allthread going up through the center and a washer and bolt holding the top before you remove the bolts or else that top flys off and knocks all your teeth out. Secondary you gotta compress the spring and get the Snap ring off and thats a bit tricky without the right tool. After that its just a re-assemble and good to go.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Does high gear feel better? Also do you mind if I ask how much was the kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
yes High gear feels better, much better "punch" for sure. I lost 2 mph on top end however. Machine hits governor now at 48mph instead of 50mph like before. Its a small price to pay for better low end torque and allowing the machine to work easier turning bigger tires

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you want to notice a bigger difference than you'll need to just go ahead and just send away your clutch for the special machining. I didnt want to do that and wasnt looking for anything extreme so for me the springs and weight kit was a good option. It was $295 I believe shipped to me in Alaska.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Spencer,
Old thread so please forgive me getting in at the end. I also am in AK. All i do is hunt with my '09 750, then it gets parked until next year. I am putting on a different primary, current one is trashed. I haul heavy and pull a meat trailer. This sounds like maybe what I need to do myself. Easy enough to do it sounds like?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts