Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any expierence with clutch mods. I see where DFR is offering a performance clutch setup. Will this had more bottom end and more top end if that is possible. Is just a better belt ok or do you need a clutch setup if you have a pipe, air intake, and cdi.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Helix on this forum is from Dalton Industries and is working on the springs for various set ups. I don't think he is quite done yet.

Link to his web page below.
Dalton Industries: ATV Products

·
Marcus
96 Posts
Any one have clutch mod done, I am going to be hauling 3 kids and 2 adults, with slip on exhaust, cdi, air intake , carb tuning. will also be running 27" tires

·
Vendor
55 Posts
We are getting close to being done on the teryx clutching.
It would have been easy to throw something together quickly and just do a few timed speed runs,etc using some of our many already existing kawasaki clutch tuning components,but as it turns out we are not using ANY of our existing components.Everything was done as new prototype stuff and redone a few times.

Kawasaki themselves did a LOT different clutching than what comes on any Brute or Prairie model,...and they HAD to. They even had to go to an aluminum cvt cover and design a new belt as they had some major issues with belt heat in development of this vehicle.They went with bigger diameter spring cups in the secondary to be able to use newer bigger secondary springs,they used a much different flyweight design ,they did many things differently including a lower final drive gear set,etc. Probably one of the biggest problems teryx owners will face is Brute Force owners telling them what to do ....it is different.This vehicle is not only much heavier,it is often loaded with gear and often has two people in it. We feel that there is MUCH more to testing this vehicle properly than doing some testing with some existing components designed for prairies and 4x4 utility quads....and quickly whacking a kit together. We have experimanted with all of that existing type of flyweights and such and had some pretty good results in some respects,...but some of those set ups ran extremely hot. I know the clutches run very hot on this thing anyways,but some set ups using stuff we already had ran VERY HOT. When you test the vehicle steadily you get to recognize it real quick. We have had clutches off and on this thing in the hundreds of times already.
I appoligize that we have told some people we would be finished by now.Our priorities are on makig a very good ,flexible kit that offers improved performance with the ability to adapt to different mods ,altitudes,and terrain conditons,...and do it with the best belt grip and coolest clutches we can.Our new,patended "Quick Adjust" flyweights allow adding and subtracting of mass from the main body of the flyweight without even removing the flyweight from the clutch. We have developed some new springs,including a new progressive rate primary . We have settled on flyweight curvature for this application,....and we are getting close.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
helix

That is how R&D is to work. I will wait for your clutch setup. I think many suppliers come up with a product without testing them properly, and they simply don't work or even go backwards. We still have to give the Japanense credit for the work they do for the stock product. Thanks helix I know you will have a great product keep us posted. Put me down for your clutch setup as soon as it comes out

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sounds like Dalton is going to be the way to go when they are done. I just put 2 08 Brute weights in my clutch. They are the X1 weights. They are about a half ounce lighter than the teryx X3 weights. It seems to work perfect. It still engages at a good rpm, but it bumped the shift rpm up a little so I can use more top end power before shiftout. I know it wont be as good as a dalton set up, but its tons better than stock for my motor.

·
Marcus
96 Posts
I will also wait for dalton clutch mod,
awesome work so far , best things come to those that wait, IMPATIENLY, BUT WAITING, HA HA HA, just kidding keep up the good work.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i had my clutch machined by john at interstate motorsports. i did his stage III mods which included machining the belt surfaces and had the spider modified. i run a dalton orange/blue primary spring and two X1 weights, engagement rpm is at 2600 and it shifts at 7300 now. the belt seems to be holding up fine with these mods and my 840 motor. it did 68mph with a radar gun and we only checked it the one time. i have made some changes since and am sure it will do 70+ now. a pair of 39mm fcr downdraft carbs are going on this weekend and once they are tuned the topend should be greatly improoved, 75+ is the goal.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I talked with Helix one day for a long time and personally believe they are on the right track and know exactly what they are doing. I'm so confident in them Hunterworks has no intentions of clutch mods and will depend on Dalton exclusively for what ever they come up with.

Now just get it done Helix. I can't say much I am slow on this end getting our stuff out too. Good stuff takes time!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
helix, whats your opinion on gear sets, i know Ray had mentioned maybe putting the vforce gears in the teryx or the taller set that the german company is making, but from what it sounds like, we might not want to mess with the gearing if its going to put more stress on the drive system, especially with high HP motors.
thanks
Sincity

·
Vendor
55 Posts
It may kind of depend on what you are doing Mark,...if you have a light rig and are running small tires sizes,etc it could probably offer more speed,but you are right,in the wrong situation it could strain the cvt more.I would take small steps at a time in doing so if it were me.
I think the German gear set that is a final drive in the transmission may be ok for some applications,as it would still allow you to have low range,etc. Some people in brutes used v-force gearing in there and lost low range by doing so. There was also at one time,I think some dfferent crown and pinion gears for the rear end but I think the rear end on this teryx is different housing and such. I'd prefer to leave that alone anyway.

I guess it would depend on what ratios are available for the final drive tranny sets and what application you are doing.

I'm certainly no expert at that gearing stuff on these things. I intend to leave my own alone.

·
Registered
61 Posts
thanks Dale, i am thinking leave it alone also, I'm not concerned with top end speed so much as how quick it gets there.
Sincity

·
Vendor
55 Posts
On some of the big monster motors that are in the works these days,it will probably blast right up through the clutch phase pretty quick,with the low gearing in the teryx,and if sticking with small tires it may be ok to go up a little bit with a big motor,...but myself,I'd probably get everything else dialed in first

1 - 13 of 13 Posts