Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Happy new year. Looking to go to 28x10x14's all around and seem to get mixed messages on whether re-clutching is necessary. Currently running complete stock 12 in. rim setup with, thankfully, no issues whatsoever. I have a 2018 T2 Camo with a Brute Performance 2" lift and the original Bighorns. 1050 miles on it now. I did just recently buy a spare Super ATV belt to have on hand but heard OEM is what I should have gone with. The original is still running great. I mostly trail ride in woods here in N.E. Pa. If I can avoid messing with the stick clutch setup, I would prefer that.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
From my experience you definitely don't "need" to re-clutch with 28's. I ran heavy 28" Intimidators (one of the heaviest tires out there) on heavy beadlocks for years with no issues, and now run either 30" Crawler XG's or 29.5" Terminators with both being on heavy beadlocks. I don't have a ton of run time on the Terminators but I've done a lot of rockcrawling and steep climbs at Brimstone and Windrock with the 30" Crawlers and it does fine. Not saying that a clutch kit wouldn't make it better, but it's not required.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From my experience you definitely don't "need" to re-clutch with 28's. I ran heavy 28" Intimidators (one of the heaviest tires out there) on heavy beadlocks for years with no issues, and now run either 30" Crawler XG's or 29.5" Terminators with both being on heavy beadlocks. I don't have a ton of run time on the Terminators but I've done a lot of rockcrawling and steep climbs at Brimstone and Windrock with the 30" Crawlers and it does fine. Not saying that a clutch kit wouldn't make it better, but it's not required.
Thank you. Appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
2022 Teryx4 S LE
116 Posts
I agree with Blazer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I like the idea of having the same size tire all around and then a spare to rotate in. Not having to mess with this clutch assembly is one less variable. I ride some rough trails but never abuse my machine.

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,508 Posts
I run 28's on my bike, and did so for a while before doing a clutch kit. I will say, it definitely helped having the kit. Required? No. Helpful? YES!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the valuable input here. Some of you folks put so many more miles on your machines than I do. You ran 28's for some time before doing a clutch kit which, in turn gave you benefits. What changed after your clutch kit? What ride improvements did you gain?

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I don't know that a clutch kit will improve your ride, but it definitely improves your power. It basically gives you a lower gear so it improves your low end torque, power and take-off. On bikes that don't have a speed limiter, this will reduce your maximum speed. But our bikes in stock form are speed limited to 50 mph. Because the limiter is based on wheel speed and not engine speed, putting in a clutch kit will not cause you to loose top end speed. The engine will turn a little faster at top speed, but it won't hurt it. You will also be able to get to your top speed a little faster.

Another benefit of a clutch kit is longer belt life. The lower gear affect reduces the load on the belt a bit. Before I put the clutch kit in, I would sometimes hear the belt squeal under load. Once in a while isn't a big deal, but when the belt squeals, its making heat and heat destroys a belt. The advice I always give people is this:

If your belt squeal's, replace it. If you replace it and it still squeals, its time for a clutch kit.

If you do decide to do a clutch kit, you can install it yourself. If you have any miles on your belt, I recommend just putting on a new belt while your in there. It's a fair amount of effort to get in there, but its not complicated. Its more time consuming than difficult and once you've done it a couple of times, its no big deal. I recommend you give V-Force John a call. He knows Teryx clutches better than anyone. He will ask you questions about your bike, tire size, load and riding conditions and will send you a custom setup specific to your needs. vforcejohn.com

The thing to remember is, the clutch kits from the factory are a good "all-around" kit that works well in most situations. But if you want top performance from your ride, you need a kit that is specifically tuned to your riding needs.

So again, is having a clutch kit required? No. Does it help? YES.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was really looking at these Tusk Terrabites in the 28x10x14. My other concern is going up to 8 ply and giving me a rougher ride. I know the carcass is stronger with the 8 ply but I can't complain of the ride on these Bighorns. After the Brute Performance 2 in. lift and preload adjustments, I think I have a pretty nice ride. We just got our first 3 in. snowfall yesterday and I really enjoy being the first tracks out on the trail with my enclosure and cab heater. Wondering if the Terrabites perform as well as the Bighorns in the snow.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again. V force John is only a few miles from me. Talk on this forum and word around here is he's highly respected in his clutch work and heard he's focusing alot on performance tuning. When I'm ready for my upgrade, he will be my first call.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I run the 28" Sodona Rock-a-billy tire, which is very similar to the Tusk Terrabites. I have found that 7 PSI works best for me as it allows the tire to make full contact, provides a nice ride and improves traction. The Terrabite and the Rock-A-Billy tires are both best suited to hard pack conditions. For snow plowing conditions, which I just did this week, I put my stock Bighorns back on. To me, the Bighorns do better in the snow and ice than the Terrabites. I put the bigger tires back on for all other seasons.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is good to know. My stock Bighorns have alot of tread on with 1050 original miles. A co worker runs the Rock-A-Billy's on his Can Am. My terrain around here is hard pack mostly, rocks and occasional semi deep puddles. I ran in some deep snow last year up to the skid plates and went in places some local ATV guys couldn't go.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Little known fact... Bighorns also make an excellent ATV tire and if you happen to have a Brute Force SRA or Kawasaki Prairie with the 4x137 bolt pattern, you can reverse the rear wheel from the Teryx and use your Teryx tires on your ATV. These are my stock original Teryx wheels and tires on my Brute Force (The blue bike).

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice. While it may not help me at this time, that information is sure to come in handy for fellow Kawasaki riders that aren't aware of that. My previous ride was a Grizzly 700. I put GBC Grim Reapers, 8 ply, on that. Awesome tire.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My used 08 had a worn out belt and 30 mud lite 2s on it when I purchased it. It ran fine. When I changed the belt, put the Dalton clutch kit, and the 28 inch xtr 370s on, it was a completely different animal. New found power to the ground really gave me confidence in this older purchase. I feel like I can roll anywhere that doesn't high center it.
Ymmv.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts