Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
this is the first time I am attempting to replace the cvt belt on my 2016 Teryx 2,is there a way to pull the clutches without a puller? Do I need to install a new nut on the driven pulley as it specifies in the service manual?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I believe you should be able to change it without pulling either. I believe there is a 8 or 10mm bolt that you can adjust on the secondary to loosen the belt allowing you to change the it.. I could be mistaken though

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
The housing is tight on the newer ones. I had to pull the clutch to change the belt on my '17 T4. Shouldn't need a puller and I didn't install a new nut... Maybe the clutch doesn't have to come off on the '16.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe you should be able to change it without pulling either. I believe there is a 8 or 10mm bolt that you can adjust on the secondary to loosen the belt allowing you to change the it.. I could be mistaken though

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
I believe that only works on the 4 seaters and 2 seaters to 2015.
The housing is tight on the newer ones. I had to pull the clutch to change the belt on my '17 T4. Shouldn't need a puller and I didn't install a new nut... Maybe the clutch doesn't have to come off on the '16.
Thanks for the reply,
According to the Manual it has to come off.did you put any non permanent Locktight or anything on the nut?

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,157 Posts
You will need a couple of properly sized bolts to screw into the larger pulley. Cranking them down will release the tension on the belt pulley. Then you can impact wrench the two bolts holding the clutch and pulley onto the shafts. Warning! One of them is reverse thread! once the bolts are off and the tension released, both with slide off together. Slip off the old belt, put on the new one, and slide them back on and reassemble with all the parts back in place and pointing the same direction. You should be able to reuse the nuts no problem. I used the impact to put them back on, but I know that my impact equals about 100 ft pounds on the wrench so that was close enough to spec for me. One last thing, my advice is to ONLY use Kawasaki belts. They are the only one's that fit exactly right.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You will need a couple of properly sized bolts to screw into the larger pulley. Cranking them down will release the tension on the belt pulley. Then you can impact wrench the two bolts holding the clutch and pulley onto the shafts. Warning! One of them is reverse thread! once the bolts are off and the tension released, both with slide off together. Slip off the old belt, put on the new one, and slide them back on and reassemble with all the parts back in place and pointing the same direction. You should be able to reuse the nuts no problem. I used the impact to put them back on, but I know that my impact equals about 100 ft pounds on the wrench so that was close enough to spec for me. One last thing, my advice is to ONLY use Kawasaki belts. They are the only one's that fit exactly right.

Thanks VirginiaHawk!
really appreciate it! Did you need a clutch puller to get them off?

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,157 Posts
No clutch puller needed. Once the bolts are off, gently slide them off by hand, making sure to keep them even as they come off. (they come off easier if you keep them coming off at the same rate)

Good luck!

·
Registered
960 Posts
You have to pull both the primary and secondary off at the same time to change the belt. Make sure you take the tension off the belt first, and sometimes you can pull the clutches off by hand and sometimes not. The first time I changed the belt on my '15 I could not get the primary off and had to use a puller. After cleaning up the shaft it would slide on and off easily.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts