Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,641 Posts
Back down on your speed by 5mph and it will do better. I get 15.5 mpg out of mine while pulling my toy hauler at 65mph, 19 to 20 around town and 22 to 24 on the highway empty. Mines a 2004 non-HO all stock

·
Jan, Jun, Oct 2021, Feb 2022 TOTM Winner
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Holy shit. My best ever has been 20mpg for one tank. Got 1000kms commuting across the city.
even with my old trailer last weekend I weighed in at 18500lb combined. 7000lbs were on the trailer axles and the rest on the truck.
I usually don’t do over 65-70 when we go out.
I managed to sell my old trailer in under 30 mins of posting it. “Water damaged old trailer.” $2500.
teryx fits in the new one. So that’s a bonus.

Reactions: VirginiaHawk

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
619 Posts
I managed to sell my old trailer in under 30 mins of posting it. “Water damaged old trailer.” $2500.
teryx fits in the new one. So that’s a bonus.
The new trailer looks great, congrats on the score. I have been considering a toy hauler but am leaning towards a small, 20-24' fifth wheel with a tag trailer for the teryx. Most of the places we go, especially here in Michigan, we can't ride directly from the campground so we would have to load up the whole camper every day to go ride. With a small tag trailer pulled behind the 5th wheel we have a way to haul the Teryx from the campground and back.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I would love to get 11. My V-10 in the F-250 has a bigger thirst, especially loaded.
My last tow vehicle was a 2003 F250 V-10. Sold it to buy the diesel. Wish I had kept the Ford. MPG wasn't very good, but it towed better and more confidently than the Dodge. The Cummin's has more power on paper and much better MPG, but the F250 just handled the load better. The Ford was also rated to tow more than the Dodge so go figure

·
Registered
2017 Teryx4
530 Posts
Yeah, I love the F-250. My first was a 2000 that rode like a buckboard wagon. IIRC, it had 7 leaf springs. Whomever had it before me hauled something heavy. My 24' trailer loaded wouldn't squat it. Alas, my son totaled it. My '03 isn't as strong as that '00 but I really like it, other than the mpg. I just know that when I hit the road I gotta stuff some extra Benjamins in my wallet.

·
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
My current 05 dodge diesel was kind of a turd pail until I got a Smarty Jr. It's got enough power for me now without worrying about having egt's too high. The specs for my truck say a single wheel is rated to tow more, because the dually weighs more..The gvw of this toy hauler is 14,000lbs or maybe a little more, towing capacity for the truck is 13,something. It's fine. I am buying a better class V hitch though before this one breaks apart.

My last truck was a 99 F350 crewcab long box that the previous owner swapped in a 12 valve cummins from a school bus and a 6 speed from a dodge. Had an 8" lift and 38" tires. It didn't drive too bad and fuel economy was similar to my current truck. I liked that the ford cab was considerably larger than the dodge(except for the new crew and mega) and the tailgate opening was wider too. But the wife hated trying to climb into it and my neighbors hated it(straight piped).

Reactions: Haywire

·
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I just got back from our first trip with the toy hauler. Only had to change my shorts 4 times! I figured there was more than enough weight in the front of the trailer to more than counter the weight of the Teryx but nope...The combination of light tongue weight and shitty dodge steering made for a 5 1/2 hr white knuckle road trip. The axles are pretty far back on the trailer but not far enough I guess.

The trailer towed fine when I bought it and drug it home 2 1/2 hrs at 70-75 mph.

Lesson learned, I gotta load way more beer in the front of the trailer next time, and buy some adult diapers.

Reactions: Haywire

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
619 Posts
I just got back from our first trip with the toy hauler. Only had to change my shorts 4 times! I figured there was more than enough weight in the front of the trailer to more than counter the weight of the Teryx but nope...The combination of light tongue weight and shitty dodge steering made for a 5 1/2 hr white knuckle road trip. The axles are pretty far back on the trailer but not far enough I guess.

The trailer towed fine when I bought it and drug it home 2 1/2 hrs at 70-75 mph.

Lesson learned, I gotta load way more beer in the front of the trailer next time, and buy some adult diapers.
glad you made it back with only some soiled shorts... Maybe have to switch from cans to kegs for that beer! :ROFLMAO:

·
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
That's a great idea!

I'll unpack everything I can from the Teryx before loading it next time and not fill up the fuel tanks until I hit the last fuel station before camp even though fuel is considerably more expensive the further away from home we go.

Sure glad we had an onboard generator and working ac. It got up to 35C/95F where we were camped.

Right when we rolled into camp and started setting things up I found a leaky tire on the trailer. Center axle of course. Unloaded the Teryx and the Check engine light was on...next morning discovered the 4x4 switch on the dash was between the 2wd and 4wd position. And it was jammed up, wouldn't shift to 2wd. I pulled the shift motor off the diff and made sure it was working. re-installed it and it worked fine the rest of the weekend. Not sure wth happened there.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Your hauler is definitely setup different from mine! Mine is tongue heavy as crap! I have to put my weight distributing hitch on before I let it down or else I can't even get the jack off the ground. Filling the 36 gallon generator/fueling station tank (which sits behind the axles) and loading Rex all the way back as far as I can get it, and I still have tongue weight for days. I even switched from 30lb propane tanks to 20lb tanks to help lighten up the front. But loaded up, she does pull nice

·
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I got this trailer to tow pretty well now. Just had to toss a buddies Chinese sxs in the box. Managed to squeak out 7.7mpg through the foothills. I forgot how smooth the truck rides with some weight in the bed.
Tire Cloud Wheel Sky Vehicle

everything was going great until we were heading to go drop team China off. Truck just died going up a hill. All the gauges were stuck to the left and the red security light was lit up on the cluster. Engine cranked but no fire…after a while I discovered a crusty small ground wire on the drivers side battery. Snipped it off and cut the crappy chunk off, and it came back alive. Got away lucky, I was worried one of the modules shit the bed cause when the key was onthe fuel pump and some other relays were buzzing away like signal flashers.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 T4 2015 KX450F
5 Posts
We are experienced travel trailer owners and about a year ago purchased a grand design 31G bumper pull TH. I will list pros and cons

pros
Not a 5th wheel so I keep the bed of the truck
Cheaper than 5th wheel but we retain GD quality
Has high ceilings like a 5th wheel
1 1/2 baths
Back garage door serves as party deck
30 gallon fuel tank with pump
Onangenerator
Layout works great for us with separate garage that serves as our 4yr olds bedroom
Fits our T4 with 2” lift and 30’s barley but that is with no cage chop

cons
1600 tongue weight. My single axle Cummins required timbren springs to keep a level ride
You really need a bazillion dollar WDH and 2 1/2” receiver in my opinion
I have to ballast the front of the camper by filling fresh water tanks because Teryx sits behind back axles and sways if not addressed

you will not be able to pull with a half ton

There is one other company that has a similar layout to the 31G but I can’t remember their name. We have owned several travel trailers over the years but so far the Grand Design quality is top notch and owner support is fantastic
Sky Tire Cloud Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is one other company that has a similar layout to the 31G but I can’t remember their name.
Have one and its made cheap. My old 2009 Sunnybrook Edgewater Camper will probably still be on the road when the Palomino falls apart
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Sky

old setup

41 - 56 of 56 Posts