Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talk about a disappointment!

I was riding in a damp, sandy creek bottom - coarse sugar like sand along the water's edge. in 2WD, I dug the back tires in about to the bottom of the lug nut pattern. Seeing how I wasn't going anywhere in 2WD, I switched to 4WD Low Range and eased on the throttle hoping I would pop on up out of my ruts.

Not happening. The front end started pulling and sinking a few inches, and then I let off the gas. I shifted into reverse and was met with the biggest disappointment ever!

My Teryx4 800 could not even turn the tires in 4WD Reverse, even with my foot to the floor! Talk about weak-sauce.

I run 28" Radial Outlaws: 28x9.5 in the front and 28x12 in the rear. I guess I could understand if all four tires were buried in the wet sand and packed tight from sitting for hours, but this was pretty pathetic. Low Range has plenty of power but don't ever try to reverse if you need 4WD and have bigger tires than the stock Bighorn 2.0.

At least the belt didn't slip. The engine just bogged and would not rev and turn the tires. I had to winch myself out. My Teryx 4 800 definitely let me down. This kind of thing hurts my pride. If I'm going to be stuck, I at least want to be able to spin my tires. Reverse really sucks on these things.

:sad:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had the same problem this past weekend I went to reverse and couldn't spin them then back to low and it struggled there to. I wonder if the belt is getting worn out or something I understand I'm trying to turn 29.5s but I have never had the problem till now. Is there a way to check the belt to see if it's roached?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Yeah, these things suck in reverse! I think it may have something to do with the rev limiter. It won't let it rev high enough in reverse to spin them if they are bogged.

Clutch kits will help some.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love Low Range. It is powerful. I can even do surprisingly well in High Range 4x4. But Reverse is a weak, weak gear.

I am running the new #39 belt, brand new belt first ride on it.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
It's like that on every machine, and has nothing to do with the rev limiter. The reverse gear ration is a taller gear than low, why they gear it so high and then put a speed limiter on it is beyond me. If they don't want us going fast in reverse give us a lower gear ratio and be limited by rpm and not the speed limiter. Anything running bigger than stock and semi aggressive tires will bog in reverse if it's in deep enough mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MattN03

·
Registered
230 Posts
I can't believe there aren't more threads about this. My 20 Teryx4 has the stock wheels and tires and does this too. A relative owns a 2018 with similar mileage(around 300km) and claimed his didn't do this...Until they came out to the mountains with me last week and now knows exactly what I was feeling. Get stuck and the thing won't rev up at all in reverse. It felt almost like it governor in reverse but didn't hit a rev limiter. Put the pedal to the floor and it would only rev up a little, belt was dry, not slipping. It would try to move but just didn't have the power. I've never owned a machine that did this and I'm

When I talked to the dealer about this they acted like they had never heard of this before and by the sounds of it nobody with a newer 800 has either. Does everyone who owns these things just drive them around groomed trails and roads or is this a commonly known issue that everyone just embarrassed to talk about?

Will clutch work actually help with this? I'd like to think it should unless there is some limiter in the ecm? If so like to find a wiring schematic and make it think it's in low when it's in reverse and see what happens.

Down the road I'd like to get 28 or 30" tires and some clutch work but would like to get this fixed first.

·
Registered
955 Posts
This topic is pretty common knowledge and has been discussed a lot. I believe these are the gear ratios:
High = 43:1
Low = 73:1
Reverse = 60:1
Basically reverse is right between high and low and as you figured out it doesn't work good in some conditions. I also wish it was lower, at least the same as low. I've ran some pretty difficult trails and ran into the issue once. That was trying to back up a steep hill with about 6" of heavy clay mud, and that was with heavy 28" Intimidator tires on beadlocks.

Clutch work will help. If you machine the clutches for lower gearing (i.e. JBS) it will help in either forward or reverse. Granted, reverse still is not as low but it will be lower than it is now.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thanks for that. I was sure I read about the ratios somewhere. I haven't been able to find any recent threads about this, only old ones from 2014 and older. I is confuser slow at times though.
I see turner offers gear reduction but that looks more involved to install and would kill the top end. 50mph is fast enough but I wouldn't want to be limited to much less than that.

I figured I'd have problems with bigger more aggressive tires but am still in awe they sell a machine that can't move in reverse in stock form. I guess that must be how they offer a 3 year warranty, don't let it have enough jam to break anything? I'll live with it for now til my buddies get tired of wearing out their winches pulling me out all the time.
I'll probably get in touch with JBS in the winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts