Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m going to post my custom cage build experience on here step by step. I have been wanting to upgrade to a custom cage for a while and just had not done it. I rolled the machine to the side once over a couple years ago and the cage did ok. I bent it back and replaced the piece of cage that had a little wrinkle in it, replaced the radiator that got damaged. and pressed on. Last fall going up a normal hill I just barely clipped a rock at the top and it bounced us into a tree that the passenger wheel in diff lock went right up. We rolled 3.5 times backwards down the hill with wife and kids in it. Had helmets on and the cage and seatbelts performed as designed. Little sore but we were all fine. Flipped the machine over and drove it out. Had to stop a couple Times and put water in the once again trashed radiator. Here is a pic of the after.

Looks kind of ugly but the only damage was the cage, radiator, it bent the passenger hood mount and the front bumper slightly.

Now the cage became top of the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now over the winter I began scouring the internet for a cage for the machine. Missed a used one, and found finding a cage for a teryx 4 isnt an easy task. What I really wanted was a kit to weld together and customize to my liking. I found a guy in Utah and a local guy in STL that could do a kit. I liked the design of the kit from the Utah guy. So that’s the direction I went. He quoted me $800 for the kit. After talking to him he talked me into adding the spare tire holder for $50. He got a shipping quote and I sent him a check for $1050 to get going on this. He told Me it would take two weeks once he got the check. This was at the first week of March. That’s when the fun began with him.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I waited two or three weeks and didn’t hear anything from the cage builder. I finally got a hold of him he said the check never showed up. It wasn’t cashed. So we lost almost a month now. I overnighted another check and he said he would get right on it. Another week I text several times and he finally texts back that he decided to be out of the office for the next 7 days and didn’t get the cage done. Ok. I wait. After this it is another month and a half of it almost done, it’s done I just have to crate it for shipping ect ect ect. After three months for something that was promised in two weeks it finally ships.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So mean while Ido everything else I can. I got some super atv rear offset a arms to push the wheelbase back. Got them installed. Went well. As I stated earlier that when you roll the machine the radiator gets smashed. Since this happened twice I wanted to fix it. So I found a upper factory front bumper and went to work on it. The front bumper is weak so I beefed up the mounts with heavy wall square tubing. And fully welded all the joints.

The upper showed up and it clamps on. This won’t do so I fully welded it on to the front bumper. Now the front end is solid as can be and is above the radiator.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After over three months of broken completion promises and terrible communication the cage kit shows up.

He said the rear section was complicated so he welded it for me.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So after I got the cage I started going through the parts. Many of the parts were not labeled. About 1/2 were. It looks like some of the marker came off on a couple of the pipes during shipping. After some time I realized that the spare tire holder was not there. I texted the builder and he said he didn’t bid it. I was furious at this point. I texted him that he was the one that talked me in to and raised the price from $800 to $850. I asked him what he was going to do to make it right. Now he won’t answer texts or the phone. I’m pissed, and its a shame because he makes a well built and nicely designed cage. I would avoid Green’s off road in Ut. Ron Green has terrible communication, months late on delivery promises and now he ripped me off for $50. It’s not the money it’s the principle. Enough with the rant on to the actual build, I just don’t want other people to go through what I did with him.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
On to the build. The first thing I did was bolt the bungs in place. We bolted the pre welded rear bumper. Then I started with the main side pipes. I actually have a crane in my shop (my favorite tool) so I used it to hold up the sides while I fit the some of the other pieces in. Most it fit very well. It only took about 2 hours to get 90% of it tack welded together. Here are some progress pics.

I was using the ratchet straps to pull the cage together tightly. I also fitted the super atv flip up windshield at this point to figure out where to put the front window bars where they wouldn’t interfere.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Tacking it went together fairly well. The two angled bars in the back window were 2-3” too long and wouldn’t fit. They were mis cut from the cage builder. I didn’t want to try to grind the complex curve into the pipes when I cut them down. Ended up going to Harbour freight and getting their pipe notcher for $57 and used it. Worked like a charm.

Now the main part of the cage is tacked together and I need to start fabing up all the little brackets I need for the accessories on the cage as well as the solution to the spare tire I came up with.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For some reason the center bar didn’t go all the way to the front windshield bar so I cut up a curve from the old cage and welded it in

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While fitting the flip up windshield I noticed with the leaned back cage it put the lip of the SATV windshield real close to the steering wheel. I put a sanding disc on the angle grinder and wedged it between the window and the steering wheel. Sanded it down and I think it’s good to go now.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now a bunch of fabrication details. Used the light mounts I cut off the factory upper front bumper for the rear lights.

I used the top of the center bars from the old cage to make the mounts for the whips.

I don’t want to run the wiring in the cage. I don’t want holes in it and I want to be able to add things to it later. I had some small chain sitting around the shop so I cut a ton of the links in half giving me little u shaped loops I can weld to the cage. Then I can zip tie the wiring up under the roof where you won’t see it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While I liked the look of the cage without handles I think the doors of the teryx sit very low and the loops by each passenger serve a purpose for safety so I cut the handles off the old cage and welded them on the new one.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Made up a t handle for the passenger. Couldn’t find any metal that would slide in each other so I used black iron pipe and ground down the inside one to fit.

Made some more brackets for accessories and got started welding all the joints. I am a fairly proficient welder, but I’m used to welding straight lines. Holy cow welding small Pipe is much more difficult to make look pretty. I went down and talked a friend of mine who is the welding instructor for the pipe fitters and he gave me tips. After getting about 90% of the welds done I started getting pretty good at them. So I took the cage off to finish the welds I couldn’t get to with it on the machine. And the START THE GRINDING to make the joints look good.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Used the spare tire mount I had from e trailer to mount the spare since the cage maker ripped me off and didn’t send the one he up sold me for.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
299 Posts
Sorry you had such a crap experience with the cage builder but man it's looking sweet.

Reactions: Jones_Mahoney

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got the grinding/sanding done this evening and put the primer on the bottom half of the cage. My plan is to paint everything that I can’t paint when the cage is back on. I liked the factory textured paint so thats what I’m putting back on. I opted for paint instead of powder coating because I want to be able to touch up the cage, it will get scratched. I got the rear bumper primed and painted.

I’ll put it back on tomorrow and get the bottom of the main cage painted.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got the cage bottom painted and let it dry. The rear bumper and the cage are back on the machine. Went to a local steel supplier and had a piece of cold rolled sheet metal for the top. Can’t remember if it was 16 or 18ga. Had them bend a drip edge in it for the front. Most guy use clamps to put the roof on but I decided just to weld it on. Should keep it from rattling and give the cage more structure.

Used the crane to hold the back up while I tacked the front. Used clamps to start making the curve and welding as I went. This cold rolled is really stiff. Has to get two of my employees to stand on the roof in the middle to get it down to the cage so I could tack it. I will solid weld the edges and short welds where it touches the cage underneath it. I am wondering about heat from the sun as I am planning to paint it the same textured black.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Saw this this morning. Guess I get to change a cv boot while I wait for the ECU flash from Jbs to come back.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts