Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

CVT Belt inspection plate......

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  mudbug_dw 
#1 ·
I took off the CVT belt plate today, just to check it out, I see now how it works. I was pushing on the belt to check the tension, and it felt really loose. I know it tightens up as it goes in gear, but just sitting there it still seemed pretty loose. Anyone familiar with this??

#2 ·
Im not... Kawi dealers are supposed to have a tool to check deflection,im just going to pull the cover off and take a shim out as soon as I can as I have 27hrs on mine already and want to get it adjusted right as a bud of mine has a rzr that we will be racing around when we go riding this summer.

#5 ·
It will PJ and I think its gonna be critical that we do this to make this belt last and perform the way it should with the weight we are pulling around. We shouldnt have to do it but once.

Im gonna do mine as soon as I can get bret901 to help a brother out. :xboit5:

#10 ·
Generally the belt when new stretches fairly quickly as it breaks in, usually to around no more than 30mm sometimes as high as 32mm, then it doesn't stretch anymore, it simply wears over time like any belt, this initial break in stretch happens anywhere from 10-30hrs of use, depending on how hard the machine was run, tire size, etc.......It is important to have your deflection tightened after this break in period to bring the belt back into spec which is 22mm-27mm of deflection (looseness) if deflection is close to 27mm or higher remove a shim from the rear clutch, usually the thinnest shim will bring it down close to 22mm, if you remove the thickest shim, deflection will be too tight and the belt will be trying to engage all the time........ always shoot for the tight side of spec (22mm) as it will extend service intervals, after the first adjustment and after getting the deflection back down to 22mm, you should be good for 200 hrs before needing it checked again.........Now if you continue to run the unit without having the belt tightened, you will experiance this "shudder" when pulling out, this is the belt being too loose, and the "studder" is the belt actually slipping slightly as it engages the clutch sheaves........ if this is done over and over you will either flat spot the belt or glaze the belt and it will need to be replaced very soon.........So, get your belts tightened at no more than 25 hrs. to as close to 22mm as possible and you won't have belt issues, unless you get water into the CVT housing or extreme abuse......... maintanance is the key

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.