Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Alba Racing had a Cyber Monday sale on their ECU reflash, 50% off!! So I took advantage of it and started to tear down my Teryx last night and the location of the ECU’s two 8 mm bolts was a pain in the @$$. I finally got them out after some hard work! I will update you all when I get it back. I’m excited to get rid of the governor on the machine.
If anyone has done a reflash I would appreciate some feedback or experiences with it.

· Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
643 Posts
So Alba Racing had a Cyber Monday sale on their ECU reflash, 50% off!! So I took advantage of it and started to tear down my Teryx last night and the location of the ECU’s two 8 mm bolts was a pain in the @$$. I finally got them out after some hard work! I will update you all when I get it back. I’m excited to get rid of the governor on the machine.
If anyone has done a reflash I would appreciate some feedback or experiences with it.
haha... there are a few of us that took advantage of alba's sale and we were talking about it on another thread. I haven't taken mine out yet to send in and I'm not looking forward to it, but I will tackle it this weekend. Did you go through the ignition/key switch hole to get to the bolts?

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha... there are a few of us that took advantage of alba's sale and we were talking about it on another thread. I haven't taken mine out yet to send in and I'm not looking forward to it, but I will tackle it this weekend. Did you go through the ignition/key switch hole to get to the bolts?
I did take the whole front end plastic off along with black hood cover off, and ignition switch but you can’t get to it through the hole anymore like the 13 and under models. I watched the video on YouTube and my 2021 was different. The bottom 8 mm bolt is too far down to get to it through ignition. I had to take the front Basel cover off and go through the side with a very small 8 mm ratchet. It flipping sucked because I could only ratchet a few clicks at a time. Idk how I’m going to get it back in. Might have to use 🧲 to line it up and then hopefully get my hand in there and start it, then hopefully ratchet the rest in. Such a cramped location. UGH!!!!

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Registered
335 Posts

· Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
643 Posts
Well i got the ECU out and sent to Alba. I agree with everyone else that it is a pain in the ass. But most of that pain is removing the plastics and stupid push pins. Once i got the fenders and console off it really wasn’t bad. I removed the 4 screws holding the top of the dash (one in the glovebox) and i was able to pull that out enough to get my hand in there easily for that bottom bolt. You can see how much room I gained in the pic.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive design

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i got the ECU out and sent to Alba. I agree with everyone else that it is a pain in the ass. But most of that pain is removing the plastics and stupid push pins. Once i got the fenders and console off it really wasn’t bad. I removed the 4 screws holding the top of the dash (one in the glovebox) and i was able to pull that out enough to get my hand in there easily for that bottom bolt. You can see how much room I gained in the pic.
View attachment 64631
Nice. I’ll take those 4 bolts out as well. Did you decide to use premium fuel for yours and get the HP/TQ bump or just regular reflash. I went with the premium gas because I drive a GM 6.2L anyways and it recommends premium. Plus I wanted a little HP/TQ bump.

· Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
643 Posts
Nice. I’ll take those 4 bolts out as well. Did you decide to use premium fuel for yours and get the HP/TQ bump or just regular reflash. I went with the premium gas because I drive a GM 6.2L anyways and it recommends premium. Plus I wanted a little HP/TQ bump.
It didn't give me any options for fuel... but I chose the "stock" map option because I never plan on doing any exhaust mods to it, so maybe that is the difference? Did you get a tune for slip-on or full exhaust? The description does say that you need to run 91 fuel so I assumed that all of the flashes require that?

· TOTM Winner May 2022
Empire slip on,Memphis sound bar, Tusk windshield, winch, light bar etc.
80 Posts
I installed an empire slip on on my 21 with no tune. It seems to be ok. No backfiring or running weird. Empire suggested getting a fuel programmer for it so I might wind up doing that. He said it will run a little lean.

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It didn't give me any options for fuel... but I chose the "stock" map option because I never plan on doing any exhaust mods to it, so maybe that is the difference? Did you get a tune for slip-on or full exhaust? The description does say that you need to run 91 fuel so I assumed that all of the flashes require that?
Ya on the website it’s states that the reflash requires 91 octane and let’s the engine run cooler, less lean, and smoother while giving you an increase in HP/TQ

When I called them I asked if they could just reflash it without using premium they said they could. I wanted that at first, but then thought about it and decided to do the reflash with premium fuel.

· Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
643 Posts
Ya on the website it’s states that the reflash requires 91 octane and let’s the engine run cooler, less lean, and smoother while giving you an increase in HP/TQ

When I called them I asked if they could just reflash it without using premium they said they could. I wanted that at first, but then thought about it and decided to do the reflash with premium fuel.
right on... I just bought it online, so I assume that I got the standard one that requires 91. It's damn near $1.00 more a gallon around me, but I don't really get to ride the Teryx all that much anyway so I figure the little bit of extra gas money is no deal breaker. It might cost me an extra $50 on a sxs trip, but it will be worth it to be able to get to the trailhead without bouncing off the rev limiter for 10 miles, haha.

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya on the website
right on... I just bought it online, so I assume that I got the standard one that requires 91. It's damn near $1.00 more a gallon around me, but I don't really get to ride the Teryx all that much anyway so I figure the little bit of extra gas money is no deal breaker. It might cost me an extra $50 on a sxs trip, but it will be worth it to be able to get to the trailhead without bouncing off the rev limiter for 10 miles, haha.
Ya it’s about .50 cents higher here, but the tank is only 7 gallons. So I’m not worried about that. I’m very interested (excited) to see the performance side of things. From talking to the gentlemen at Alba. The machine just runs so much better. 🤞🤞

· Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
643 Posts
Ya it’s about .50 cents higher here, but the tank is only 7 gallons. So I’m not worried about that. I’m very interested (excited) to see the performance side of things. From talking to the gentlemen at Alba. The machine just runs so much better. 🤞🤞
yeah, me too. I was a little nervous to be sending a $900+ part across the country these days, without which the machine is fairly useless.. but let's hope FedEx is on the ball, haha.

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah, me too. I was a little nervous to be sending a $900+ part across the country these days, without which the machine is fairly useless.. but let's hope FedEx is on the ball, haha.
I agree, I just an got email back from them and they received my ECU and are tuning it to premium. Now let’s hope it gets back home safely.

· Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
643 Posts
I agree, I just an got email back from them and they received my ECU and are tuning it to premium. Now let’s hope it gets back home safely.
I know it's an easy upgrade for them, but they are quick! I got an email from FedEx saying that it was delivered late Tuesday morning, and then later that afternoon I got an email from Alba saying it was back in the mail with the return tracking number, and this morning it landed back on my porch. Hopefully I'll get it back in this weekend and check it out!

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know it's an easy upgrade for them, but they are quick! I got an email from FedEx saying that it was delivered late Tuesday morning, and then later that afternoon I got an email from Alba saying it was back in the mail with the return tracking number, and this morning it landed back on my porch. Hopefully I'll get it back in this weekend and check it out!
Haven’t gotten mine back but I won’t be testing mine out right away. I have a sound bar and winch on Xmas list and I’m thinking the wife is getting for me so going to wait before I put it all together and then have to take it all apart again to install those. Just going to do it all at once. Very excited about it though. Hopefully there is a noticeable difference on how it runs and behaves.

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I agreed to Alba Racing not to have a signature on the FedEx dropped off but they forgot to put that down. So FedEx came twice but no one was home, so I called Alba and they had to have ECU shipped all the way back to California, redo “no signature “ and send it back. Kinda frustrating!!! I don’t need it right away, but I don’t want it lost!!! In this day and age who knows what will happen. Will keep you posted. Should have it by end of week 🤞🤞

1 - 20 of 42 Posts