Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd document an issue I'm having with my Teryx and maybe get some input.

I installed some A-pillar lights over the weekend and while I had the control panel cover (dashboard) off I found a mouse nest covering the relays for the fuel pump, radiator fan, etc. I removed it the best I could and put it back together. The next time I drove it, I noticed the yellow engine warning light was on, which indicated service code 46 - fuel pump relay malfunction, relay is stuck. I removed the panel again to inspect the relay and wiring. I found that two wires going to the fuel pump relay were chewed up. Pictures attached.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Electrical wiring

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Wheel

Prior to removing the nest, the Teryx ran great and had no engine light. My guess is, the nest provided some level of insulation for the wiring. When I removed it, it may have caused a short. In any case, the Teryx still ran after removing the nest, but now had a slight miss and a yellow engine light. I cut out the damaged wires and soldered in new wires, thinking this would repair the circuit and clear the engine light. No luck. Now the fuel pump isn't getting any power at all.

When I get home from work, I'm going to try and bypass the relay and see if I can get power to the fuel pump. Fuses look good, so maybe I fried the relay.

Reactions: SuperATV

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I made a jumper this evening and bypassed the fuel pump relay. This worked and allowed the fuel pump to operate. I tested the relay, according to the service manual, and it seems to pass inspection. Now I'm thinking I have an issue with ECU.
Light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

Reactions: SuperATV

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Continuity is good between the fuel pump relay and ECU terminal connection. Wiring, relay and fuses are all good.

If I run a ground wire to the Brown/Yellow wire (this is the wire that goes to the ECU) on the fuel pump relay connection, the fuel pump operates and the engine will fire. Still shows a service code on display. This seems to tell me that the ECU is not grounding the relay. ECU may have been damaged when the bare wires were allowed to touch, but can't say for certain.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sucks!
Just for shits, did you try plugging the fuel pump relay connector into one of the other relays(next to the fuel pump relay) to test instead of jumping the connector? Maybe the original relay clicks but is effered inside?
IIRC the pump only runs for a few seconds when the key is first turned to the run position then shuts off.
Yeah that was actually one of the first things I did. I think I tried both of them just to be sure.

Reactions: Andy>
1 - 4 of 4 Posts