Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any mod than can improve engine braking. For short down hill section it seems to be really good however if I'm going down a long steep downhill section I've got my foot on the brake hard to keep this thing slow (1-4mph) Hard enough to have the front brakes squealing and begin to fade. Ive only got my father and I with nothing in the bed.
Will any clutch mods help this? Is there any engine brake adjustment that will help?
I'm at 20 hours now and my belt is at 35mm deflection. I'm going to adjust it and retry it I'm just not sue it will help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yah Gumbo.....that's what I was wondering too, if he's in low. Also, would the engine braking be more effective in 4WD?

·
Gumbo
85 Posts
not sure 4wd would help unless the rear tires are slipping but being in low will definety make a difference and i was thinkin with a deflection that loose the belt may not be grabbing correctly:tools1::run:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Try a little gas for part of a second this will get the clutches to engage. This should help a bit. Make sure you are in low gear and your belt deflection is correct too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is in low. If i give it any gas even for a second them im flying down the hill.
I don't know if im asking too much for a belt drive system as far as engine braking. I'm normally in an older atv with a manual gear box and i don't have a problem like this. However th teryx is a lot heavier. Is this as good as it gets or can i improve it?
can i get more engine braking with clutch work?
I adjusted the belt tonight so i guess ill see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I'm thinking that your belt is too loose. If you are engaged in the clutch engine braking should slow you down to a reasonable level. I don't think you will go 1 mph with it, but not so fast its not controlable. Blipping the throttle a tiny bit should not make you uncontrolable (ie flying down the hill) unless your engine breaking is not working and you pinned it. Good luck.

·
Registered
528 Posts
it is not going to hold you back on every hill, you already stated that it is heavier than a quad your used too. It is normal I'm sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts