Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are new to utvs. What emergency equipment do you suggest carrying along for trail rides that are musts haves but don't require alot of room.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
575 Posts
My tire repair kit has plenty of plugs, some patches, glue and slime, a good quality air compressor, a ratchet strap for reseating a tire on the rim, a small scissor jack and a wrench or impact gun for the lugnuts (I carry the impact on big trips in case I need to change a belt anyway). I carry this kit even if I have my spare tire with me. I also carry a spare belt and the tools I need to change it in the field... a broken belt is unlikely in a teryx, but it won't leave me stranded if it ever does happen. Other than those general tools I carry the essential "fix it" stuff like zip ties, gorilla tape, JB weld, some hose clamps and spare fuses. I like to have a spare tie rod along as well, just because a broken one can really leave you stranded. I also have a basic first aid kit with items for cuts, burns, eye wash, paracord, ibuprofen, benadryl, etc.

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,589 Posts
My tire repair kit has plenty of plugs, some patches, glue and slime, a good quality air compressor, a ratchet strap for reseating a tire on the rim, a small scissor jack and a wrench or impact gun for the lugnuts (I carry the impact on big trips in case I need to change a belt anyway). I carry this kit even if I have my spare tire with me. I also carry a spare belt and the tools I need to change it in the field... a broken belt is unlikely in a teryx, but it won't leave me stranded if it ever does happen. Other than those general tools I carry the essential "fix it" stuff like zip ties, gorilla tape, JB weld, some hose clamps and spare fuses. I like to have a spare tie rod along as well, just because a broken one can really leave you stranded. I also have a basic first aid kit with items for cuts, burns, eye wash, paracord, ibuprofen, benadryl, etc.
Dang Hunter! Thats a lot of stuff! But thats what happens when you ride a bike with so much storage room! LOL!

My personal "Minimum" list would consist of:
1) Spare tire and tools to change it
2) Plugs and small air compressor (if tire is off the rim, go to your spare)
3) First Aid kit with pain meds
4) Fire Extinguisher (only needed if you ride around Polaris owners)
5) Cell phone

·
Registered
210 Posts
Dang Hunter! Thats a lot of stuff! But thats what happens when you ride a bike with so much storage room! LOL!

5) Cell phone
That right there is funny as HELL. I almost spit my coffee out this morning reading this. Awesome!!! 😂😂

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
575 Posts

5) Cell phone
lol, yes it is. And that doesn't include my 4 gallon rotopax and all of my recovery gear like straps, extension lines, snatch blocks, a shovel, etc. All the crap fits in one tote that rides in the bed, but my buddies do make fun of me for being over prepared. But then when I am putting their tire back on the rim, or fixing their flat, or helping to revive their swamped machine I get the last laugh. My first aid kit has also grown because of them over the years, due to broken collar bones and ribs, and some nasty cuts and burns out on the trail. I agree that it may be a bit much for the group rides because there is always someone to get you out if the need arises, but I have used most of the gear at one point or another. A lot of the riding I do by myself is for hunting so I am usually very remote and out of any cell service, so I like to be prepared to get myself out if anything comes up.

·
Registered
2014 TERYX 4 LE 4X4
71 Posts
I laughed my a$$ off at the fire extinguisher comment as well. I carry alot of stuff myself on the trail you never can be fully prepared imo. I cary flares,2 dewalt tool bags 1/2 Impact sockets batteries charger 2 3/8 impacts channel locks ,Pliers,jump box,air compressor with patch kit,high lift jack, Rhino tree saver & 30' synthetic snatch rope,extra gloves,zip ties,tire gauge,first aid kit,fire extinguisher large trash bags cooler with water & adult water as well. Lol generally all in my bed unless I don't have a full rig then it's in the back floor board wrapped in plastic bags just in case of the deep water crossings.

·
Jan, Jun, Oct 2021, Feb 2022 TOTM Winner
831 Posts
I carry most of the same stuff as everyone else. Zip ties, duct tape and haywire are always in the tool kit. I picked up a battery powered pressure washer(with a spare battery) last year so I can clean my rad out on the trail. I also have a little inverter that plugs into one of the cig ports so I can charge the batteries using the 120v charger. It works.

I usually carry a chain saw along and an old rusty bow saw. Before installing a rear winch I carried along a comealong for those times when you can't move in reverse and can't winch forwards.

I picked up a kinetic recovery rope and some soft shackles. It's one of the best things I've bought over the years.

I usually carry extra fuel but probably won't bother this summer, I've never needed to use. It's mostly incase someone else runs out or we end up getting really lost or stranded.
There's a small set of booster cables in there too. I'll probably carry along a grown up sized booster pack as well just incase, since I've been having draining problems last year and haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.

Reactions: LiftedT4Le

·
Registered
2014 TERYX 4 LE 4X4
71 Posts
I have that so no worries I also carry baby wipes cause my buddy actually scares the s$&@ out little kids when they ride in the back seat. ROTFLMFAO
It's an on going joke with him & his Polaris.🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 - 14 of 14 Posts