Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent had much time to drive my Teryx yet, but I have been reading a lot about the complaints of exhaust heat in the drivers compartment. There has also been a few instances where exhaust heat has warped the bed floors in the back!

Because of this, and an issue I had with the front header pipe melting the engine cover, I decided to take action while the Teryx is torn apart!

I've had this heat shield product by DEI in the garage from a past project, so I decided to put it to good use. I basically took every factory, and Muzzy heat shield, and "reinforced" the already existing heat shielding. (basically the same stuff as DEI)

After cutting all the pieces to fit, I simply used a 2 part epoxy to secure the new material.
I'm still considering insulating the inside of the engine cover, and will probably do so. I'll post pics when it's completed!

Moving on to the exhaust.........

I decided that wrapping the head pipe with DEI's exhaust wrap would solve my issue with the plastic engine cover, and keep the cabin temps down. I went down to SDHQ and bought the black exhaust wrap, and some safety wire to secure it. DEI makes real fancy "cv boot clamps" to secure the material, but cheap safety wire works just fine!

Here are the pics of the exhaust and all the stuff I coated. I wont have any "real world" reports on how well it works for another month or so, but I'd imagine doing all of this has dramatically lowered temps in the cab, and under the drivers seat! We'll find out!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Great Info Brian!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Any feed back on the heat mod(did it substantially help)? I'm thinking wrapping the exhaust is a great idea, how durable?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Where can you buy that material? I am wanting to stop some of the vibrations the muzzy heat shield creates and do the same with the wiring and plastics. What is the cost of the material?

·
Just a guy with a toy
66 Posts
I went out and bought a powder coater and some ceramic coating beads and sprayed my exhaust, needed to sand blast it first but what a difference, way cooler.

Hole cost about 250 dollars and to do it again for another exhaust would cost me about 10 to 20 bucks in material

·
KFXokie
195 Posts
Heat tape

I tried something a friend told me he did and it helped a lot, but I also raised my windshield by 4 inches and it made a huge difference. I took heat reflective duct tape and covered the area between the seat base and engine cover all the way back to the seat belt opening in the cowl. I ride around town (legally) and have noticed a big change. The biggest help is the windshield acts like a scoop and pushes air down toward the engine compartment.
my 2 cents anyway.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The seat base and engine cover? Hmmm I just took my windshield off and it made all the differance in the world. I'll put it back on when it gets cold.

I tried something a friend told me he did and it helped a lot, but I also raised my windshield by 4 inches and it made a huge difference. I took heat reflective duct tape and covered the area between the seat base and engine cover all the way back to the seat belt opening in the cowl. I ride around town (legally) and have noticed a big change. The biggest help is the windshield acts like a scoop and pushes air down toward the engine compartment.
my 2 cents anyway.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Cab Heat

The seat base and engine cover? Hmmm I just took my windshield off and it made all the differance in the world. I'll put it back on when it gets cold.
I too took my windshield off and it solved the problem. This winter I plan on putting it back on for some free in-cab heating!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I wrapped my exhaust and the first ride out produced an intense burning smell and plenty of smoke. I removed the seats to find that the wrap was turning dark brown in certain areas.

Is this normal?
Will it eventually go away?
Should I remove the wrap?

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
It is normal. If you sprayed it with the silicon wrap sealer it is really bad smell and smoke. It will go away in time. I rode about 10 miles non stop at WOT(or as close as I could keep it to WOT) and it was eliminated completely in one ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Muzzy Teryx Exhaust System is a high performance stainless steel exhaust that saves weight and produces significantly more power than the stock system. Muzzys highly recommends heat wrapping the exhaust. Not only does wrapping reduce radiated heat, but by keeping the heat inside the pipes, it increases the exhaust velocity and power. During break in of the exhaust, you may experience odor and a small amount of smoke from the muffler packing as it expands. This is normal and will go away after break in. The silicone spray is included with our wrap kit and helps to keep moisture out and keep heat in for additional power. Muzzys wrap kit also includes eight clamps to allow for exhaust joints typical in two cylinder exhaust applications.

It is normal. If you sprayed it with the silicon wrap sealer it is really bad smell and smoke. It will go away in time. I rode about 10 miles non stop at WOT(or as close as I could keep it to WOT) and it was eliminated completely in one ride.

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
I just had a dealer install the muzzys as part of the deal, wish he had wrapped it now I have to take it off and install, just ordered off of the web site along with metal cover.

·
Registered
267 Posts
What do you Muzzy owners think of them? would you do it again or look around for something else with maybe more HP output?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've installed or handled 100's of name brand exhaust systems in my life, and the Muzzys system I did on the project Teryx was the nicest kits I have ever worked with. I stand behind their product 100%. So much, that I chose them for my Rotax rhino project, even though there are easier options available.

Havent heard a bad thing about Muzzys, ever.

·
Work blows, I wanna ride !!
708 Posts
So how did the wrap & silver stuff mounted on the rex work out? I'm trying to figure out the best way when I get my muzzy system, thought about getting it ceramic coated first, but never had it done before.
________
SC2 PRO REPLAYS

·
Registered
271 Posts
Wrapped painted the muzzy and installed the metal cover, Be sure to ask em for the right bolts or your off to the store for hard to find 6 mm bolts to install the cover. I have only driven it around enough to burn off all the smoke issues, And dont seem to be getting too much heat radiation even with no plastic panels replaced yet at all. I opted to move some wireing around some from factory position to better protect from heat we will see if this proves adequate.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
The red tips at the end of the Muzzy is a nice touch Brian.

·
Raptor0271
37 Posts
I have an 09 750 with Muzzy on it. The exhaust pipe off the rear gets cherry red hot right out of the engine before making the downward turn to the passenger side. Did yours do the same? Mine melted the plastic CVT Exhaust Duct (which caught on fire). Did the DEI wrap solve your problems? I have posted on several threads and haven't gotten any answers about this. Hopefully you can help!!!!

·
Administrator
3,938 Posts
Sounds like you're running lean. Wrapping the exhaust would be a bandaid, but it's going to fix the problem. Do you have a fuel controller? If not, look at getting one to adjust your fuel/air ratio. VForceJohn, a forum sponsor, sells them customized for your particular setup.

·
Raptor0271
37 Posts
No, there is no fuel controller. I bought this machine set up the way it is and this is my first UTV. So I'm on a learning curve. All help is greatly appreciated. Is the fuel controller a plug and play or does it have to be programmed?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts