Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
El Moderator
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...I'm looking at putting together a fluid kit for your 20/50 hour periodic maintenance. The kit would include all the fluids to change engine oil, front diff, rear diff and include a WIX oil filter. Polling to see if there is some interest in a kit like this?

·
El Moderator
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm working on exact price...looking to be around $65 + shipping. It would be AMSOIL synthetic AFF 4-Stroke Powersport 0W-40 (4 qts) for engine and front diff & ATH Hydraulic/Transmission 5W-30 (2 quarts) for rear diff.

·
El Moderator
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm trying Brian! I can also get a chrome filter for those that would like a little bling (can't see it but know it's there). The chrome filter is not a WIX, but an AMSOIL EAO nanofilter (98.7% effieciency @ 15 microns). Basically I can offer either a WIX, EAO or an EAO chrome.

·
El Moderator
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Data is inconclusive, but with chrome...I'd say low 4's on a 1/4 mile! I'd like to dyno mine before I do 20 hour service and them after just to see the change (if any). I also see 10%-15% milage increase in auto engine...should translate over here too.

·
El Moderator
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AMSOIL is raising prices 8/1, so this kit will go up too...$65 shipped to your door is good through July. Looks like price increase will be 10-15% in August. Click my weblink for more info

·
Registered
528 Posts
Does the kawi recommend 0w-40? and why the chrome filter when the eaom filters are available in black for $7 less.

The Amsoil rep told me to use the 10w-40 advanced synthetic for my Rhino. The Kawi is different??

Rog

·
El Moderator
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Does the kawi recommend 0w-40? and why the chrome filter when the eaom filters are available in black for $7 less.

The Amsoil rep told me to use the 10w-40 advanced synthetic for my Rhino. The Kawi is different??

Rog
Hey Rog...the kit comes with a WIX filter, the EAO and EAO chrome is an option, but higher priced.

Really you can use the 10W-40 or the 0W-40. Both meet API SF/SG and JASO MA/MA2 and are wet clutch compatable. The 0W-40 will give you a broader temperature range (cold weather start). Both are SAE 40 (Kawai specs SAE 40) so either will work. The real difference is the 10W-40 is about $1 more retail per quart. Your choice.

I put the kit together as a one stop shop for the 20 hour service. People are having a tough time finding the rear diff hydraulic fluid, so this give you everything in one kit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why do you have to use motorcycle oil when there is not a wet clutch. I would just assume with a CVT that automotive oil would work just fine.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Why do you have to use motorcycle oil when there is not a wet clutch. I would just assume with a CVT that automotive oil would work just fine.
Alot of ducati's were dry clutched and still use Motorcycle spec'd oil.

I have used diesel rated oil in my rhino for a 1000 miles and no issues with the wet clutch.

I am switching to amsoil before the next season.

Rog

·
El Moderator
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You use motorcycle oil because, unlike a car that has a separate lubicant for the engine and transmission, ATV/UTV's typically use the same fluid. Polaris uses a chain drive transmission, so they use a different transmission lubricant in addition to the motor oil. The other major factors involved in powersport motors:
1. Much higher engine speeds - oil is subjected to higher load/shear forces
2. Higher compression ratios - higher internal temperatures
3. Much higher horsepower/Displacement density - about 2X of auto engines
4. Engine cooling - ATV/UTV are both air and liquid cooled and most use oil cooling
5. Common lubrication for both engine and transmission
6. Inactivity - oil must be able to maintain stability across infrequent use. Rust and acid corrosion are of critical concern

Desiel engines are not as heavily regulated as far as emission standards as gasoline engines, so there are inherent lubricant properties in desiel oil that are not in gasoline oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with the use of motorcycle oil in bikes or whatever that have a common transmission and engine lubrication, but with a “CVT “ constant velocity transmission, it is a dry clutch system and only grease on the bearing areas is generally required. Motorcycle oil is much like non-detergent oil that we used to use to break in new engines. The advantage of using automotive oil if possible would be the greater detergents in it to help clean the engine and keep contaminants in suspension. A Teryx does not spin at high RPM, but is more of a low RPM torque engine.

·
El Moderator
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with the use of motorcycle oil in bikes or whatever that have a common transmission and engine lubrication, but with a “CVT “ constant velocity transmission, it is a dry clutch system and only grease on the bearing areas is generally required. Motorcycle oil is much like non-detergent oil that we used to use to break in new engines. The advantage of using automotive oil if possible would be the greater detergents in it to help clean the engine and keep contaminants in suspension. A Teryx does not spin at high RPM, but is more of a low RPM torque engine.
I also agree:devil3:! The differece in TBN is slightly higher for auto oils (typically 12-13ish), most motorcycle/powersports is 10-11ish. As a factor of TBN, the rate of oil changes in a small motor is pushing 10X of your car, so the TBN becomes relatively insignificant (unless your engine dumping shi!t into the oil!). The biggest factors, I think, in the powersports oil is the anti-foam additive and detergents to reduce high acid levels that small engines can produce.

As for the CVT this is the output drive (converter) of the motor, the motor still has a geared crankcase transmission that requires lubrication.

I guess my point is auto oil is meant for less gearing applications and powersports is engineered to be able to be dual purpose.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts