Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been thinking about getting a hard top for my T2. I have a soft top that I like just fine, except that I can't open trailer with it on. I like the idea that a hard top doesn't have to be taken off to trailer and it also gives me a great place to mount a sound system. (The Kawasaki sound system is a joke)

Of course, my problem is, I'm cheap and I have a very limited budget of around $300 and I want to spend that $$$ on the sound system, so that doesn't leave me anything for the top. So, I do what any good country boy would do, I make my own! Of course, scoring a free camper shell helped!

Its not quite done, but check it out! (Note: This also works really well for T4's)

1) Start with one topless Teryx
2) Acquire one free and battered truck cap - preferably fiberglass (mine is also carpeted underneath!)
3) Remove the windows and make your measurements (measure twice! Cut once!)
4) Cut to length (in my case, 48"), radius the corners, sand and paint to match

I'm still painting so installation is not yet complete but test fits look really good. Will post more pictures as work progresses!
Total cost so far: $15 for paint

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Part 2 - The teaser

Here's a few teaser shots. Its not installed yet as I am still painting, but it gives you a good idea what it will look like.
A light bar will go on the front flat area, and an red (or green!) LED light strip will fill the area on the back where I had to cut through a re-enforcing core. Oh! And a roof mounted stereo on the inside.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
That's a pretty damn good idea! Very resourceful!

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the compliments guys! I am really happy with the way it is turning out. Unfortunately, I apparently got a bad can of paint and this last coat bubbled up so I am going to let it dry, sand it down, and put a few more coats on. With each new coat, it gets brighter and whiter. I also stopped by the auto parts store and picked up a roll of door edge protector. Its 18' long and I will try to use that to finish off the ruff edge around the bottom.

If anyone wants to try this themselves, you will need a cap from a full size truck. This one came off a short bed Dodge 1500 but even at that, I think it would have been plenty long enough to cover a T4. The cap was free because a friend who had it was storing it on saw-horses so he could carry his ATV and the wind knocked it over. The back glass was shattered and there were several bad nicks along the bottom edge. Basically, it wasn't worth fixing and he was going to take it to the dump anyway so I asked if I could have it.

I originally wanted to get the factory hard top, but that was going to cost somewhere around $350 delivered and after seeing the plastic top in the showroom, I hated to admit that I really didn't think it was worth the $$$. Its nice, but it isn't THAT nice! I would have felt a lot better about it if it was "double sided" instead of just one molded layer.

I do admit though, when starting off, I was concerned that this might be too heavy. I don't think it is now though. I can easily carry the top by myself now and I would guess the total weight of it to be about 40 pounds (before I install light bar and radio that is). My original thought was to try to make one out of an old bed-liner, but even a full size truck was too tight between the wheel wells to give a good look on the Teryx. Thats when I started thinking about using an old cap instead. The bonus is that its carpeted on the underside which *might* help with sound, but it also gives it a nice automotive headliner look.

I will post up more pics as things progress, but they are calling for several days of rain here so it might take me a bit.
Thanks for the compliments!

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mail Call!! Got the light bar and radio in today! Tried to upload a pic, but for some reason it won't attach???

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Bldrum,

I only have a half windshield at the moment so I'm not completely sure about a full windshield. The top rests on the roll bar and the clamp for my rearview mirror does not get in the way at all. You can also move the top forward or back to suit your needs in case you want more sun shade, or need to clear other items. Just get an idea of where you want the front to be before you cut the length. I would also say that you could probably get some peal-n-stick rubber seals online to even give you a waterproof seal against the top of a windshield. The real kicker would be to see someone do this with a full cab enclosure like some of the guys up north! I think it would look amazing.

I should have everything done by this weekend and will post up pics if I can

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I figured out I was at my max for picture uploads, so I removed a few less important ones above so I could share an update!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Finally done!

So its finally all done! Everything is wired up, working and bolted down! Here are a couple of finish shots to complete this thread. I think it came out great. Now its time to trail test it :devil
Just click on the thumbnails for a larger view :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

·
T2 in Ak
52 Posts
Creative idea, for using what you had around the house! I assume you tried selling the truck topper before you chopped it up! Those sell for $600-1500 up here depending on the condition.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Creative idea, for using what you had around the house! I assume you tried selling the truck topper before you chopped it up! Those sell for $600-1500 up here depending on the condition.
The topper was damaged beyond reasonable repair and was gifted to me by a friend. The rear glass was one of those curved glasses and would cost way too much to replace it. It also had a number of large chunks taken out of the bottom edge of it where it fell against a tree in a wind storm. Easy enough to repair, but when combined with the rear glass being smashed and the need to repaint after repair, it just wasn't worth it. I would have been lucky to get $200 for it, and by cutting it up, I saved myself about $350 in not having to buy the Kawasaki top.

Besides, I like this one better :wink

And now its street legal! :grin

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for this! This is mine so far. Before the rain hit. Sure could use a garage!
That is a LOT of rain! Nice to see that you were able to make it work with a flip up windshield. I have a solid one now I made out of flat sheet that I've been using since right after the pics with the half windshield were loaded. I just found with the half glass, it caused too much wind turbulence for my taste so I went full. When this one finally wears out, I was thinking a split window like you have would be good but wasn't sure if it would work. Glad to know it will!

You are now the third person I know that has done this and the first with a 4 seater. I made another one for a friend with a new T2 about 2 weeks ago. Its one of the best upgrades I've made :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for this! This is mine so far. Before the rain hit. Sure could use a garage!
That is a LOT of rain! Nice to see that you were able to make it work with a flip up windshield. I have a solid one now I made out of flat sheet that I've been using since right after the pics with the half windshield were loaded. I just found with the half glass, it caused too much wind turbulence for my taste so I went full. When this one finally wears out, I was thinking a split window like you have would be good but wasn't sure if it would work. Glad to know it will!

You are now the third person I know that has done this and the first with a 4 seater. I made another one for a friend with a new T2 about 2 weeks ago. Its one of the best upgrades I've made

What did you use to secure shell to ROPS? I have the factory plastic roof and hardware. Shell does not sit nearly as flush as factory. Probably a 3" or 4" gap in rear, less than an inch gap in front I could fab something up but thought I'd ask if there is an easier way. Thanks in advance!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts