Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for anyone that has recommendations for a folding windshield for a 2013 Teryx4.. Currently looking at the Clearly Tough folding windshield and the SuperATV flip windshield. Anyone have experience with either?

Thanks

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
270 Posts
I run the SATV flip up windshield and I'm very happy with it. It gives you different options depending on the conditions. And I really like having the option to flip it up with one hand while driving, so if it gets really muddy or dirty on the trail you can get it out of the way quickly so you can see where you are going. You do have to take some care when cleaning these windshields, so watch their videos on the process and they will last a long time.

Reactions: SuperATV

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I run the SATV flip up windshield and I'm very happy with it. It gives you different options depending on the conditions. And I really like having the option to flip it up with one hand while driving, so if it gets really muddy or dirty on the trail you can get it out of the way quickly so you can see where you are going. You do have to take some care when cleaning these windshields, so watch their videos on the process and they will last a long time.
Thanks for responding! I haven't been able to see that windshield installed in person on a vehicle. What is the field of view like when the windshield is flipped up/open? From photos I've seen online, looks like the opening is very small, but again, hard to tell in the photos. Looking for something with a nice big opening.

Thanks

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
270 Posts
Thanks for responding! I haven't been able to see that windshield installed in person on a vehicle. What is the field of view like when the windshield is flipped up/open? From photos I've seen online, looks like the opening is very small, but again, hard to tell in the photos. Looking for something with a nice big opening.

Thanks
The field of view is great, more than you get with a glass windshield for sure. The piece on the bottom that doesn't open does not obstruct your view at all, and it's clear anyway. For a super short person, like a kid maybe, the seam where the two pieces meet and where the folding part latches might be an obstruction, but for a normal adult it is not an issue. The struts that flip up the windshield are strong enough that you don't get any sort of rattling or bouncing when it is open, even on bumpy trails. You do have to be aware of it when open on really tight trails or woods so that you don't make contact with something, but it's never been an issue for me as you can just pull it closed if you are worried about clearing something.

Reactions: Mark64061#

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The field of view is great, more than you get with a glass windshield for sure. The piece on the bottom that doesn't open does not obstruct your view at all, and it's clear anyway. For a super short person, like a kid maybe, the seam where the two pieces meet and where the folding part latches might be an obstruction, but for a normal adult it is not an issue. The struts that flip up the windshield are strong enough that you don't get any sort of rattling or bouncing when it is open, even on bumpy trails. You do have to be aware of it when open on really tight trails or woods so that you don't make contact with something, but it's never been an issue for me as you can just pull it closed if you are worried about clearing something.
Thanks for the info. And when the window is closed, is there any rattling against the post or anything like that?

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
270 Posts
Thanks for the info. And when the window is closed, is there any rattling against the post or anything like that?
no, not that I've noticed. there are good seals along the edge and everything fits tight. If something is rattling then the hardware is loose. And if there was, you wouldn't be able to hear it over the engine noise of a Teryx anyway 🤣

Reactions: Mark64061#

·
Registered
2019 Teryx4 LE
82 Posts
I got the SuperATV windshield and there was some rattling that came about after a while. This was due to the dealership putting it on so it was cock eyed just a tad and when the stripping wore down it started rubbing together and make the rattling sound which was very distinct over the engine noise since its right in front of your face. Once I straightened it out and put a new piece of foam/rubber stripping on it, no issues what so ever. I'm currently in the process of either getting my T4 fixed or having it totaled out and buying a new T4. Either way, I will stick with the SuperATV windshield. I got several of their products and so far I have had awesome Customer Service on their end. Remember, its not glass. It can scratch. I've had mine for almost 3 years now and I think I just recently got my first scratch. That isn't due to a lack of trying.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have the SuperATV flip up windshield and have been happy with it. It is nice to be able to flip it open and shut while on the move, so for example will have it shut when running the road to the trails on a chilly morning and then flip it open one going slow or it starts warming up (or as mentioned above if it gets covered with mud you can flip it open). I try to be halfway careful when cleaning and it has held up fine after a few years. There are a couple of scratches from tree branches and stuff but nothing that causes any issues on the trail. I will remove the top section if it's warm out and running tighter technical trails. It was mentioned above also, but when flipped open you do kinda' have to watch what you are doing a little in some situations. For example if you are running with one side down in a deep rut you could snag it on the bank or tree root, or catch it on a tree branch.

·
Registered
2019 Teryx4 LE
82 Posts
I have the SuperATV flip up windshield and have been happy with it. It is nice to be able to flip it open and shut while on the move, so for example will have it shut when running the road to the trails on a chilly morning and then flip it open one going slow or it starts warming up (or as mentioned above if it gets covered with mud you can flip it open). I try to be halfway careful when cleaning and it has held up fine after a few years. There are a couple of scratches from tree branches and stuff but nothing that causes any issues on the trail. I will remove the top section if it's warm out and running tighter technical trails. It was mentioned above also, but when flipped open you do kinda' have to watch what you are doing a little in some situations. For example if you are running with one side down in a deep rut you could snag it on the bank or tree root, or catch it on a tree branch.
The cheap foaming windex IMO works perfectly for keeping this clean and not scratching it.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
270 Posts
The cheap foaming windex IMO works perfectly for keeping this clean and not scratching it.
They say not to use anything that contains ammonia as it is very hard on polycarbonate material. SATV and other manufacturers recommend just dish soap and water for cleaning, but I know that isn't as practical on the trails all the time. A lot of people use Pledge furniture polish to clean them regularly, along with a few coats of a good car wax once in awhile to help protect it. There are products made for poly windshields like Novus and Plexus but they are expensive. There are also a number of options for ammonia and alcohol free glass cleaners out there too. I keep a small weed sprayer full of water (sometimes with a bit of soap) on my machine along with some microfiber cloths when trail riding, so that I can clean it out on the trail.

Reactions: Andy>

·
Registered
2019 Teryx4 LE
82 Posts
They say not to use anything that contains ammonia as it is very hard on polycarbonate material. SATV and other manufacturers recommend just dish soap and water for cleaning, but I know that isn't as practical on the trails all the time. A lot of people use Pledge furniture polish to clean them regularly, along with a few coats of a good car wax once in awhile to help protect it. There are products made for poly windshields like Novus and Plexus but they are expensive. There are also a number of options for ammonia and alcohol free glass cleaners out there too. I keep a small weed sprayer full of water (sometimes with a bit of soap) on my machine along with some microfiber cloths when trail riding, so that I can clean it out on the trail.
Here is what I use. You can get it at Walmart for pretty cheap.

Attachments

Reactions: huntertim214

·
Registered
2019 Teryx4 LE
82 Posts
I always like to spray my windshield down after a ride with the water hose to get the loose dust and dirt off as well. And yes, microfiber cloth. I have a trash an full of them in my garage.

Reactions: huntertim214

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For everyone running the Super ATV Flip up windshield, what kind of rear windshield/screen do you have?

Also, when the window is flipped up/open and you have a rear window, does it prevent the air from flowing and cause a lot of dust build up in the cab?

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
For everyone running the Super ATV Flip up windshield, what kind of rear windshield/screen do you have?

Also, when the window is flipped up/open and you have a rear window, does it prevent the air from flowing and cause a lot of dust build up in the cab?

Thanks
I bought Kawasaki’s OEM one and absolutely love it. I am still not in love with the SuperATV flip windshield on the front but it will suffice for now till I get Kawasaki’s new one piece polycarbonate front windshield.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have it pressed down as far as it can go against the hood of Teryx and tightened all down properly, yet it still has gaps in it and doesn’t fit perfectly for almost $500! I put another rubber gasket on it and I will check it again Friday. It’s off now because I’m installing Ryco’s
turn signal kit. Hopefully the new gasket will help with the movement/vibration of the flip up windshield.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts