Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Second time it's happened. There's a cloth filter at the base of the fuel pump in the tank. It's a 2018. It gets plugged, then you don't get enough gas to the other inline fuel filter on top. Eventually, you hit a fuel deficit running at higher RPMs because the pump isn't able to push enough gas up to the inline filter and it cuts out. Have to sit there and try to wait for the pump to shove enough gas back up. The top filter always looks clean. Changed that out anyway.

Doesn't look like there's anything in the tank. Emptied the tank. Cleaned it out, but it happened again a few months later. Same problem. Fine then. This time I cleaned the tank out, the check valve vent on the tank, but now, I put long hose on the vent tube to get it up a bit higher out of the dust, and a cheap gas filter inline with the check valve to make sure I'm not sucking in dirt that way.

Sure. It's pretty dusty conditions here usually.

I'm buying the same gas with everyone else, at the same place I'm buying gas for my sleds, and I'm betting people with Polaris machines would have injector problems if the gas was really that rotten. Anyone else have this fuel pump filter problem? They do sell an after market 3 pack of them. Maybe it's common??

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
242 Posts
I know that it is a common issue for the fuel vent to get clogged on these machines as one of the first mods that many people do is to alter the vent lines. I used to Brute Performance kit and method which runs up behind the passenger seat to get out of the dust. You can see how it's run in these pictures. Hopefully by doing the venting you did it will solve your issues going foward.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Brute Performance has a fuel filter upgrade kit that is basically a much bigger filter that shouldn't get clogged nearly as quick. https://bruteperformance.com/produc...aki-fuel-filter-upgrade-teryx-bruteforce-mule. They also sell replacement filters.

The fuel vent work you did is a well known and recommended modification that has been discussed for years. Especially if you run in water you can get debris in the tank through the vent, especially if the one way valve is not working (should only let pressure out of the tank and nothing back in). If the first time happened recently I can understand it considering the machine is around 3 years old, but it happening again within a month even after cleaning the tank out has me wondering what happened. Assuming that is what happened, going 3 years before the first issue happened and then only a month until it happens again means something happened (duh, right). To be honest I would be tempted to just wait and see if it happens a third time. Carry a replacement filter with you as it doesn't take long to swap them out. Don't take this wrong but curious if there was still some debris in the tank after the first time even though it seemed like it was clean, maybe junk fell into the tank during reassembly, or maybe the vent lines came loose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The starvation of fuel seems to be an ongoing issue with the Teryx for many years now and Kawasaki hasn't caught on to the issue to make changes.

I have a 2018 Teryx4 LE with a little over 4,100 miles. I use the highest octane unleaded that is available. My rides are as short as 30-miles and extend out to 200 miles. Yes I carry extra fuel, ha,ha. I have a K&N air filter that I service regularly.

The fuel starvation is getting worse. I have watched u-tube vids and have read many areas in the forum. My Teryx does not backfire it just stops running then suddenly it starts running. I feather or pump the fuel pedal and find no position that works better than other positions. Starvation vehicle speed was first noticed at ~30 mph and now it is down to 10-15 mph. I live in semi desert mountainous area. I think its great where I live with summer temps getting up in the 90's but seldom over a 100 and after dark temps down into the 40's. When first started up, the machine runs great and later in the day the problem begins. The time frame could be any where from 6-hours to 2-hours of runtime before issue. So the idea of heat causing the starvation was an idea to the issue but now I have encountered shorter runtime with the issue and after the sun has gone down.

With reading in the forum many members have gone to the replacing the filter at the bottom of the pump and replacing fuel as a suspect. Will perform this process this week as well as change out spark plugs as suggested by a Kawasaki repair shop has suggested. The shop also suggested that the drive belt could be the cause can anyone explain how this would be possible? The last suggestion is to change out the fuel pump itself. An OEM pump is around $600 but did find pumps on Amazon (~$100) with the Kawasaki pump number that will interchange with the factory. Will they work and last I don't know yet but I did purchase one. I asked the service shop if the fuel pump failure was covered under the 36-month warranty and he advised me that the Teryx4 LE only had a 6-month warranty. Ah well it is advertised as 36 month limited on the factory website and was the reason for purchasing a Kawasaki Teryx4. Very interesting as my warranty runs out in the last quarter of the year.

On the u-tube vids people are disassembling the pump housing and eradicating the screen in the area of the pressure regulator as they feel this is the area of fuel restriction. I have thought about this but this screen is for the longevity of the fuel injectors unless there is an external fuel filter added outside the tank on the supply line to the injectors. If this is the solution then someone needs to fabricate a fuel line to add the fuel filer and utilize the factory connections.

In this forum members are expressing that the vent tube to the tank is getting plugged. After reading many and watching u-tube vids I think this is on the right track for fuel starvation issue. So what's causing the plugging? I wasn't having any issues for the first 3k miles so why now. Members have expressed that the vent tube goes into a frame rail and ends shortly. Members are extending this line relocating inside the cab area as well as under the hood with a type of filter on the end. Is the filter to keep out dust / dirt / water?

Middle of last year a Teryx4 buddy got me a good buy on a flip up windshield. This is great to keep the cold, rain, and wind out of the face when driving at higher speeds and always nice to be able to open the windshield for the fresh in your face air as well. A GREAT addition to any UTV IMO. However, we (fellow riders) have noticed that when the windshield is in the closed or down position there is a high accumulation of dust in the rider compartment front and rear. On a long ride after sundown, 30-miles of dirt road at 35-40 mph I wear glasses and I could see the dust coming down the glass lens as I drove. This was crazy! Wiped the glasses off several times and the windshield was in the closed position. This last weekend the fuel starvation issue started after we had closed the windshield as the sun had gone down and the weather was colder in the mountain area. This was after a 7-hour drive. Took a short 30-mile ride and again when the sun went down colder temps in the mountain and the fuel issue began. I want to believe there is a correlation with increased dust in the cab area and the fuel tank vent tube routing that the vent is getting plugged that is leading to the fuel starvation issue.

I will be ordering the filter kit from brute performance. Need to figure out why and how come in order to fix the problem instead throwing a lot of money at the issue without a permanent or favorable out come.

I apologize for the lengthy novel and sure I will get criticized for it but lets put on the thinking caps and see if there is a correlation to solve this issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Second time it's happened. There's a cloth filter at the base of the fuel pump in the tank. It's a 2018. It gets plugged, then you don't get enough gas to the other inline fuel filter on top. Eventually, you hit a fuel deficit running at higher RPMs because the pump isn't able to push enough gas up to the inline filter and it cuts out. Have to sit there and try to wait for the pump to shove enough gas back up. The top filter always looks clean. Changed that out anyway.

Doesn't look like there's anything in the tank. Emptied the tank. Cleaned it out, but it happened again a few months later. Same problem. Fine then. This time I cleaned the tank out, the check valve vent on the tank, but now, I put long hose on the vent tube to get it up a bit higher out of the dust, and a cheap gas filter inline with the check valve to make sure I'm not sucking in dirt that way.

Sure. It's pretty dusty conditions here usually.

I'm buying the same gas with everyone else, at the same place I'm buying gas for my sleds, and I'm betting people with Polaris machines would have injector problems if the gas was really that rotten. Anyone else have this fuel pump filter problem? They do sell an after market 3 pack of them. Maybe it's common??
Hello!

Today I did the fuel vent mod. Lowes had the 1/4 ID rubber hose in the plumbing section. 10ft ran 10 dollars? I think it was. Then I grabbed an in line fuel filter from the mower section 10 bucks. I ran my to the under side of my roof. I already had zip ties and hose clamps but if you dont pick up some while you are at Lowes. Easy install. Took about 30 MIN in real time.

Hope This helps you and encourages you to try it!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
A few comments based on the above posts:

It's never been my understanding that people think the fuel vent itself is getting plugged. The purpose of the fuel vent mod is to prevent dirt and debris from getting into the fuel tank through the vent and plugging up the fuel filter. I'm not real confident that just driving in dusty conditions could allow enough debris in the tank to cause an issue, but I can see driving through deep mud holes could allow mud and silt in. I think you really need to be careful filling up the gas tank as it's location can make it really easy for dirt and mud to fall in the filler neck.

Generally a problem that only starts after you have been running the machine for awhile, and then goes away after it sits overnight/days, is related to something getting hot. Just about any device, including electronics, can lose efficiency/power or simply stop working when they get hot. Common issue on electronics is the resistance can increase on a hot part and not allow enough power flowing to keep it running. I've seen fuel pumps in other vehicles that only act up when they get hot. Keep in mind that a restricted fuel filter can make the pump work harder to supply enough fuel and make it overheat, or overheat quicker.

Regarding the overall fuel filter issue on a Teryx. I know it's a common topic on this board but that also makes it easy to think it happens way more than it actually does. If you go back through the forums all of these years (I've been a Teryx owner since '15 and started on this site shortly after that) there are really only a handful of people who truly had an issue that simply changing the fuel filter corrected. However, anytime somebody posts any type of question regarding an issue with the engine running, or top speed, or they just think it should have more power, there are 20 people that jump on the post and say "change the fuel filter".....because they saw it on another post somewhere. Seriously, I've seen people post a question as to why their new Teryx will only go 50 mph and somebody will reply with "check your fuel filter"......even though everybody knows it's the speed limiter.

I'm not saying that the fuel filter issue is not real, or that it maybe happens a little more frequently on the Teryx, or that the fuel vent mod is a bad idea, but I think the frequency of the issue gets exaggerated a little. It's not like the Teryx uses some new and unknown technology for the fuel vent that is different from every other SxS, ATV, lawnmower, etc....

·
Registered
11 Posts
6.2Blazer
Thanks for the smooth thoughts as it made me think more on the points at hand, heat, electrical (sensors), and not to leave out fuel possibilities and upgrades upgrades.

·
Jan 2021 TOTM Winner
446 Posts
6.2LBlazer made a lot of excellent points. Great advice. I'm guilty of jumping on the fuel filter bandwagon, I blame that on watching too many teryx vijeos on the lubetube.

When I had a fuel pump crap out on my rzr(different crap, same pile) it would run fine when cold but was just little low on power, then it became more and more of a dog as time went on. I found fuel pressure was low(tested at the rail)at idle. I worked at a wrecker at the time and found a fuel pump(just the pump, not the entire entire assembly) from a trailblazer that looked similar so I swapped it out and power was back. Even with a crusty old fuel pickup filter.
The cause for that failure was water, dirt and mud getting into the tank partially from the vent line that was ran down low and was submerged 70% of the time. The other reason was probably from dirt getting knocked into the tank during fillups.

I ran the vent lines to the roof of my Teryx just to stop water and crap from getting in there cause we do a lot of relatively high river crossings and the occasional questionable mudhole.

I've got a full windshield on mine too. I've only had 1/2 windshields on my other machines and but read on this forum about how dust will get sucked in by running a full front window if you don't have a rear one. I picked up a cheapy tusk back window for around $100 on ebay. My cousin came out with us last summer with his Teryx 4. He's got a full windshield but no back window, he experience the dust storm in the cab while riding dusty gravel roads. Couldn't believe the difference that back window makes. You're probably supposed to remove it while towing but I don't. It hasn't fallen off yet after 5-6 trips.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Work performed:
1) replaced the fuel pump
2) flushed out the fuel tank and added fresh fuel from a different fuel station (did not see any unwelcome debris)
3) replaced the check valve (original valve seem to work properly but replaced anyway)
4) checked the vent hose for restriction (found nothing as air passed through easily)
5) changed engine oil and oil filter (it was time so I changed)
6) checked air filter (all OK)

First trip out 56 miles, slow going in mountainous trails and dusty roads for 6 hours, no engine or fuel issues as previously encountered. I hope that the fuel pump / fuel filter was the issue and looking for a longer trip with higher travel speeds as well. I would like to change out the fuel filter on the original pump, install pump and see if issues return or not. I know why mess with it if it's running okay now but the Teryx only had 4,258 miles on it for the pump to go bad or is this expected for the mileage?

·
Registered
2020 T2
30 Posts
The starvation of fuel seems to be an ongoing issue with the Teryx for many years now and Kawasaki hasn't caught on to the issue to make changes.

I have a 2018 Teryx4 LE with a little over 4,100 miles. I use the highest octane unleaded that is available. My rides are as short as 30-miles and extend out to 200 miles. Yes I carry extra fuel, ha,ha. I have a K&N air filter that I service regularly.

The fuel starvation is getting worse. I have watched u-tube vids and have read many areas in the forum. My Teryx does not backfire it just stops running then suddenly it starts running. I feather or pump the fuel pedal and find no position that works better than other positions. Starvation vehicle speed was first noticed at ~30 mph and now it is down to 10-15 mph. I live in semi desert mountainous area. I think its great where I live with summer temps getting up in the 90's but seldom over a 100 and after dark temps down into the 40's. When first started up, the machine runs great and later in the day the problem begins. The time frame could be any where from 6-hours to 2-hours of runtime before issue. So the idea of heat causing the starvation was an idea to the issue but now I have encountered shorter runtime with the issue and after the sun has gone down.

With reading in the forum many members have gone to the replacing the filter at the bottom of the pump and replacing fuel as a suspect. Will perform this process this week as well as change out spark plugs as suggested by a Kawasaki repair shop has suggested. The shop also suggested that the drive belt could be the cause can anyone explain how this would be possible? The last suggestion is to change out the fuel pump itself. An OEM pump is around $600 but did find pumps on Amazon (~$100) with the Kawasaki pump number that will interchange with the factory. Will they work and last I don't know yet but I did purchase one. I asked the service shop if the fuel pump failure was covered under the 36-month warranty and he advised me that the Teryx4 LE only had a 6-month warranty. Ah well it is advertised as 36 month limited on the factory website and was the reason for purchasing a Kawasaki Teryx4. Very interesting as my warranty runs out in the last quarter of the year.

On the u-tube vids people are disassembling the pump housing and eradicating the screen in the area of the pressure regulator as they feel this is the area of fuel restriction. I have thought about this but this screen is for the longevity of the fuel injectors unless there is an external fuel filter added outside the tank on the supply line to the injectors. If this is the solution then someone needs to fabricate a fuel line to add the fuel filer and utilize the factory connections.

In this forum members are expressing that the vent tube to the tank is getting plugged. After reading many and watching u-tube vids I think this is on the right track for fuel starvation issue. So what's causing the plugging? I wasn't having any issues for the first 3k miles so why now. Members have expressed that the vent tube goes into a frame rail and ends shortly. Members are extending this line relocating inside the cab area as well as under the hood with a type of filter on the end. Is the filter to keep out dust / dirt / water?

Middle of last year a Teryx4 buddy got me a good buy on a flip up windshield. This is great to keep the cold, rain, and wind out of the face when driving at higher speeds and always nice to be able to open the windshield for the fresh in your face air as well. A GREAT addition to any UTV IMO. However, we (fellow riders) have noticed that when the windshield is in the closed or down position there is a high accumulation of dust in the rider compartment front and rear. On a long ride after sundown, 30-miles of dirt road at 35-40 mph I wear glasses and I could see the dust coming down the glass lens as I drove. This was crazy! Wiped the glasses off several times and the windshield was in the closed position. This last weekend the fuel starvation issue started after we had closed the windshield as the sun had gone down and the weather was colder in the mountain area. This was after a 7-hour drive. Took a short 30-mile ride and again when the sun went down colder temps in the mountain and the fuel issue began. I want to believe there is a correlation with increased dust in the cab area and the fuel tank vent tube routing that the vent is getting plugged that is leading to the fuel starvation issue.

I will be ordering the filter kit from brute performance. Need to figure out why and how come in order to fix the problem instead throwing a lot of money at the issue without a permanent or favorable out come.

I apologize for the lengthy novel and sure I will get criticized for it but lets put on the thinking caps and see if there is a correlation to solve this issue.
Ever consider a back window? It cuts down that cyclone effect that leaves everything covered in a layer of dust when running a windshield.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Extremely considered and looking. Summer time is here so flip up windshield is open partially to full now.

Thanks

·
Jan 2021 TOTM Winner
446 Posts
I bought this one. It fits, doesn't have the notch for the flag mount but it doesn't bother me. There is another style that mounts on the inside of the cage which would be handy but won't work if you have a rear bump seat or harnesses.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was looking at the TUSK, however if it mounts to the outside it wont work as I'm running a TUSK spare tire carrier.

Will you please provide the rear windshield that mounts on the inside maker?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did the fuel tank vent mod extending the line up in the front where the air filter box is at (not in the box but outside) and attached a spectre filter.

On the 2018 Teryx4 the vent line from the fuel tank went somewhere under the console and I lost where it went. Anyone know where it goes?

I left it in place but noticed liquid had come out of it so I plugged the open end.

·
Jan 2021 TOTM Winner
446 Posts
I was looking at the TUSK, however if it mounts to the outside it wont work as I'm running a TUSK spare tire carrier.

Will you please provide the rear windshield that mounts on the inside maker?

Thanks

Reactions: Jones_Mahoney

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ever consider a back window? It cuts down that cyclone effect that leaves everything covered in a layer of dust when running a windshield.
I got the soft back window and it cut the dust way down. The link in the last post is the o e I have and it seems to be holding up well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts