Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious I've been hearing that teryxs' are known for the fuel pumps being bad. We are thinking that's whats wrong with ours. How can I be sure the replacement pump won't be bad as well, seeing as how there known for having this issue? Did Kawasaki build the pumps better later after the fact?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
There are a LOT of posts talking about replacing the fuel pump, but seems like in a lot of those posts they replaced the part but it didn't correct the issue. Seems like whenever somebody mentions that the machine isn't running right there are 20 people piping in that they need to change the pump or the fuel filter. Overall I just hate to see people randomly replace parts without doing at least basic checks, or at least making sure the issue they are seeing if even a symptom of the part being bad.

Can I ask why you think the fuel pump is bad? How is the engine running?

·
Jan & Jun 2021 TOTM Winner
548 Posts
I'd verify your pump is bad before throwing parts at it. Like the fuel pump police mentioned. ^

With that said I've had 3 pumps take a shit on 2 different machines. One just quit after jumping it hard. Never could get it to work after that. The other 2 were in a rzr where the fuel tank vent was down low and it was under water a lot. Pump still worked enough to idle but power was way down. Pressure was low when hot, verified pressure before swapping the first time. Second time around I just replaced it as it was low on power, that's when I realized the vent was so low. Installed a cheapo $20 fuel pump, raised the vent line and never had another problem.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
99% of the issue related to fuel issues ( low fuel pressure and lack of power,leaned out condition etc etc) is do to neglected primary fuel filter and too much debris getting into tank for many reasons, then the secondary fuel screen can clog up and with one or both filters clogged you have low fuel pressure. the electric pump itself rarely ever fails!!! its clogged !!! you can replace the primary fuel with oem parts you can also backflush or swap out the secondary unit as in the regulator section of the pump as its not servicable. quantum sells just the regulator unit. or buy a cheap quantum complete fuel pump setup housing etc but it can be risky as you get what you pay for and they can easily fail. save your old oem unit regardless you might to swap parts. very easy and best way to figure out a issue is to diagnose it, unless you just want to throw parts at it. fuel system issues are the most common issue on a teryx for lack of power

after all these years why dont we have a sticky thread on top explaining this.....

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Not trying to argue the above post by any means, but you need to be careful when saying "lack of power". Bad spark plugs and other issues can also cause a "lack of power" and I bet half of the posts I see about this is from plugs and not the fuel pump. While both the plugs and fuel filter/pump can cause a "lack of power" they cause dramatically different symptoms. With the fuel issue generally the machine still starts and idles fine, and will run smooth but just be slow and lack top speed. If the plugs are bad it will be slow and lack top speed, but generally starts poorly, does not like to idle, and runs rough.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just replaced the spark plugs and put in a new fuel filter. It runs good for the most part but I went on a good ride saturday and when I came to a stop in the trail it died and this light came on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just replaced the spark plugs and put in a new fuel filter. It runs good for the most part but I went on a good ride saturday and when I came to a stop in the trail it died and the top light on the left came on. Ive been having this same problem off and on for a while.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
what light is it, oil pressure ? key on engine off the oil pressure light is always on normal. just because it stalled doesnt mean its having a issue sometimes they stall especially older early model t4's with higher miles. but other things can cause stalling too

what year is this ? 2012 or 13 t4 model ?

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I just replaced the spark plugs and put in a new fuel filter. It runs good for the most part but I went on a good ride saturday and when I came to a stop in the trail it died and this light came on.
does it drive good with good power at wot after a long continuous drive. if its a 2012/13 t4 it doesnt have a 02 sensor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what light is it, oil pressure ? key on engine off the oil pressure light is always on normal. just because it stalled doesnt mean its having a issue sometimes they stall especially older early model t4's with higher miles. but other things can cause stalling too

what year is this ? 2012 or 13 t4 model ?
Yes its the top light on the left oil light. Yes ill be driving come to a stop and the key will be on and the engine kills.. Its a 2018. It has like 5000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Not trying to argue the above post by any means, but you need to be careful when saying "lack of power". Bad spark plugs and other issues can also cause a "lack of power" and I bet half of the posts I see about this is from plugs and not the fuel pump. While both the plugs and fuel filter/pump can cause a "lack of power" they cause dramatically different symptoms. With the fuel issue generally the machine still starts and idles fine, and will run smooth but just be slow and lack top speed. If the plugs are bad it will be slow and lack top speed, but generally starts poorly, does not like to idle, and runs rough.
i think what causes plug issues is ethanol fuel use and or short trip causes them to get fouled and ruined some plugs gets heavily fouled once and are ruined. and ive never seen plug issues on the 12/13 t4's , only on the 2014 + models with 800 which the motor is so similar to the 750 12/13 t4 but they do use different plugs

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think what causes plug issues is ethanol fuel use and or short trip causes them to get fouled and ruined some plugs gets heavily fouled once and are ruined. and ive never seen plug issues on the 12/13 t4's , only on the 2014 + models with 800 which the motor is so similar to the 750 12/13 t4 but they do use different plugs
I only put premium in it.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I only put premium in it.
premium is useless for these, doesnt hurt it but its a waste, and can actually lose power using 92 vs 87 as its not tuned for it. octane has nothing to do with power of the fuel. the teryx is tuned for 87 and thats all it needs. use 87 non ethanol and use stabil in the tank if parked long periods.

Reactions: jmars808

·
548 Posts
Must be nice. We can only get non-ethanol gas if you buy 91 octane out here. Even mid grade has ethanol.

My local dealer tried to tell me I gotta put in premium in mine when I bought it. Yeah ok...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My '15 has randomly stalled several times over the years, usually after a short period of heavy throttle then you let off of it. As said above, it's not uncommon for a light to come on after the engine has stalled.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Must be nice. We can only get non-ethanol gas if you buy 91 octane out here. Even mid grade has ethanol.

My local dealer tried to tell me I gotta put in premium in mine when I bought it. Yeah ok...
if all you can get is 91 non ethanol then use that. or use marine stabil ? with any ethanol fuel you do have to use

·
Registered
290 Posts
premium is useless for these, doesnt hurt it but its a waste, and can actually lose power using 92 vs 87 as its not tuned for it. octane has nothing to do with power of the fuel. the teryx is tuned for 87 and thats all it needs. use 87 non ethanol and use stabil in the tank if parked long periods.
Premium is not really a waste in the small engines, as they are not used everyday like our cars. The octane rating begins to degrade fairly quickly in lower octane fuel and with not much time it can be way lower than the 87 the engines are designed for. The higher octane fuel takes longer to start degrading, so even if it sits you should still have the 87 octane the machine requires. Once I switched to ethanol free premium in all my equipment I have not had any more fuel/carburetor related issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Premium is not really a waste in the small engines, as they are not used everyday like our cars. The octane rating begins to degrade fairly quickly in lower octane fuel and with not much time it can be way lower than the 87 the engines are designed for. The higher octane fuel takes longer to start degrading, so even if it sits you should still have the 87 octane the machine requires. Once I switched to ethanol free premium in all my equipment I have not had any more fuel/carburetor related issues.

good to know, i was un aware that premium stored longer. My teryx gets used weekly but some of my older machines sit more. i do use stabil in them though

·
548 Posts
Does higher octane last longer because it's higher octane or the fact that it doesn't have ethanol? I can't say I've ever seen premium with ethanol.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The articles all say the premium takes longer before it starts degrading with or without ethanol. The 87 will start degrading in 1-3 months, the premium starts degrading in 8-9 months. I just avoid the ethanol because of all the issues with carbs, fuel lines, and moisture.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts