Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Premium is not really a waste in the small engines, as they are not used everyday like our cars. The octane rating begins to degrade fairly quickly in lower octane fuel and with not much time it can be way lower than the 87 the engines are designed for. The higher octane fuel takes longer to start degrading, so even if it sits you should still have the 87 octane the machine requires. Once I switched to ethanol free premium in all my equipment I have not had any more fuel/carburetor related issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Octane does not degrade or decrease over time. The fuel itself can degrade as it can collect moisture or can start evaporating some, and ethanol makes is lightly worse. With that said any typical gas is usually formulated to last at least a year (based on some sort of ASTM or the like parameters most likely) without any major issues. I regularly have small engines (mowers, etc...) that may sit 5-6 months unused and have never had an issue, and that is with typical 87 octane pump gas with ethanol. I have a 15 HP Briggs on a mower from the mid-90's that has always runs this type of gas since new and I can't even remember the last time the spark plug was changed (at least 7-8 years), then I have a 20 HP Kawasaki twin on another '98 model mower that I've owned for around 8 years. This spring was the first time I changed the plugs just for maintenance reasons and noticed no difference in performance.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Octane does not degrade or decrease over time. The fuel itself can degrade as it can collect moisture or can start evaporating some, and ethanol makes is lightly worse. With that said any typical gas is usually formulated to last at least a year (based on some sort of ASTM or the like parameters most likely) without any major issues. I regularly have small engines (mowers, etc...) that may sit 5-6 months unused and have never had an issue, and that is with typical 87 octane pump gas with ethanol. I have a 15 HP Briggs on a mower from the mid-90's that has always runs this type of gas since new and I can't even remember the last time the spark plug was changed (at least 7-8 years), then I have a 20 HP Kawasaki twin on another '98 model mower that I've owned for around 8 years. This spring was the first time I changed the plugs just for maintenance reasons and noticed no difference in performance.
Well the fuel manufacturers say you are wrong and octane does decrease over time. That’s why it’s better to put in higher octane so you have at least 87 when you use it.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Well the fuel manufacturers say you are wrong and octane does decrease over time. That’s why it’s better to put in higher octane so you have at least 87 when you use it.

Well........read the article closely. There are a lot of "can" do something comments, and it also makes a comment that octane rating can be preserved for years. The simple fact that they don't provide details on the amount of degradation makes we scratch my chin. Are they saying the octane rating goes from 87 to 86.9? And finally, keep in mind thee is some marketing going on here that is pointing you towards buying the more expensive "premium" fuel.........
I still stand by my comment but will add in the stipulation that while maybe there is some "octane degradation" it isn't enough to really cause an issue in real life and in a realistic time period.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well........read the article closely. There are a lot of "can" do something comments, and it also makes a comment that octane rating can be preserved for years. The simple fact that they don't provide details on the amount of degradation makes we scratch my chin. Are they saying the octane rating goes from 87 to 86.9? And finally, keep in mind thee is some marketing going on here that is pointing you towards buying the more expensive "premium" fuel.........
I still stand by my comment but will add in the stipulation that while maybe there is some "octane degradation" it isn't enough to really cause an issue in real life and in a realistic time period.
Yes. Why should you be confused by the facts, antidotal Evidence is much more compelling I’m sure.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts