Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey peeps. I did the fuel tank vent mod on my 2017 T2. I ran the hose to the top bar on the roll cage and added a filter.
Now, on very warm days of riding, i'll get fuel coming out of this vent.
Has anyone had a similar result?
I also had tank venting when i opened the gas cap.

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,618 Posts
Never had that happen on mine before. You might need a new fuel cap. They are designed to hold a certain amount of pressure so its normal to hear it push air out when you take the cap off. But if the pressure gets too high, they are supposed to release it. Sounds to me like yours isn't working properly. Some people will drill a very small hole in the cap to help with this, but I would just get a new cap so you don't have to worry about contaminants getting into your tank through a drilled hole.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
595 Posts
Do you have a check valve on the line anywhere? I used the Brute Performance kit and they supply a check valve that goes between the filter and the tank and it will only allow air/fuel to get in, not out. You can see it in the pictures here, BP Fuel Vent Mod Instructions. Some venting when removing the cap is normal.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Never had that happen on mine before. You might need a new fuel cap. They are designed to hold a certain amount of pressure so its normal to hear it push air out when you take the cap off. But if the pressure gets too high, they are supposed to release it. Sounds to me like yours isn't working properly. Some people will drill a very small hole in the cap to help with this, but I would just get a new cap so you don't have to worry about contaminants getting into your tank through a drilled hole.
Maybe I'm wrong but don't think the gas cap is vented on these. They are a single piece design and don't see how they could have any pressure relief valve, plus why would the tank itself have a vent line on it if the cap was also vented?

With that said, I've had the a vent run up to the roof on mine for years and for the first time noticed fuel coming out of it the last time out. Haven't had the chance to look at closer yet.

·
Jan, Jun, Oct 2021, Feb 2022 TOTM Winner
860 Posts
I didn't think the cap was vented either? I've gone in water up to the bottom of the seat at least a dozen times on our last(only) trip out this year. I too have my vent run up to the roof. I left the factory check valve inline near the tank and did not put a filter on the end of the hose. So far so good after 2 years.

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,618 Posts
Most gas caps are vented. I assumed the one on the Teryx was too? Maybe I am wrong?

·
Jan, Jun, Oct 2021, Feb 2022 TOTM Winner
860 Posts
I hope you're wrong otherwise, I may have a bunch of water in my fuel tank :ROFLMAO: I'll try to look at mine next weekend.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Most gas caps are vented. I assumed the one on the Teryx was too? Maybe I am wrong?
Cars have had sealed gas tanks and systems for years, hence the "gap cap light" warning light that will come on if you forget to put the cap on, or triggering a check engine light if there is a leak in the fuel system that let's gas vapors out. It's all an emissions thing.

·
Registered
2021 Teryx S LE
18 Posts
The gas cap is not vented on a teryx. The fuel tank vent should only allow air in, it does not release it. You likely removed the check valve which is necessary for air to only be allowed in. Mine is ran up to the top of the cage with no issue, there is always a ton of pressure released when I remove the fuel cap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts