Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Teryx 4 SLE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m planning on buying a Teryx in the next few weeks. I keep going back and forth between buying a new S model or a used 2018 or 2019. I’ve got a couple questions…

1. Is the suspension of the S far superior to the stock suspension that would come on the 2018 or 2019 LE Models?

2. If I did buy a new Teryx, typically what am I looking cost wise on putting extras on? ( the normal stuff people put on)

Any other input is much appreciated. Thanks I’m advance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
S model is night and day better. Plus you're getting a warranty vs a used one.
The sky is the limit on what you want to add. Are you going to be doing the work yourself? 400 to 500 bucks would get you a nice winch and a light bar plus the switches for the dash.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
The S model suspension is a "short" Long Travel Kit (factory tested) which is an expensive modification to do with aftermarket parts. I left Kawasaki too early to get to drive one, or a production KRX (dammit), but have read that the suspension is much improved on the S compared to the standard Teryx. I believe HCR is doing a budget L.T. kit that uses your stock shocks, but it is probably still 3K? A Teryx with an HCR L.T. and King Shocks is a wonderful thing but does require rather deep pockets!

Mike

·
Registered
2021 Teryx 4 SLE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
S model is night and day better. Plus you're getting a warranty vs a used one.
The sky is the limit on what you want to add. Are you going to be doing the work yourself? 400 to 500 bucks would get you a nice winch and a light bar plus the switches for the dash.
Thanks for the response. There is a 2019 nearly new for a good deal. So I just wanted get some opinions on the difference in suspension. If it is that big of a difference I will probably go with a s le. Also, yes I’ll do the work myself. I was thinking a windshield, light bar, winch. Not sure what else.

·
Registered
2022 Teryx4 S LE
105 Posts
Thanks for the response. There is a 2019 nearly new for a good deal. So I just wanted get some opinions on the difference in suspension. If it is that big of a difference I will probably go with a s le. Also, yes I’ll do the work myself. I was thinking a windshield, light bar, winch. Not sure what else.
Having had 2019 with lift Kit, spacers and high clearance a arms to my 22 S LE, definitely a difference. However, a buddy of mine might be selling his 21 LE that has every aftermarket thing on it which you could get for a good price depending on where you are located.

·
Registered
2021 Teryx 4 SLE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having had 2019 with lift Kit, spacers and high clearance a arms to my 22 S LE, definitely a difference. However, a buddy of mine might be selling his 21 LE that has every aftermarket thing on it which you could get for a good price depending on where you are located.
Located in Utah

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
362 Posts
I think it really depends on what you plan to do with the machine and how much you want to spend. In general the S model is a nice ride improvement over the standard Teryx, and if you're buying new either way I think it's a no brainer. But if you are talking about new vs. used it's a matter of budget vs. use I would think. You're in Utah so if you're planning on hitting Moab or some very technical areas like that, I would think the longer travel S model would be worth the investment (if you can find one). If you're just using it for more general trail riding and recreation I think the regular Teryx models are a great option. On any new machine, you can safely figure on around a grand or two for standard extras out of the gate for most people. $400-$500 for a windshield, $300-$600 for a winch setup, etc. (Super ATV if you're friend here). Basically, if you would ever plan on putting aftermarket suspension on the machine for the riding you do, definitely go with the S model, but if a standard Teryx suits your riding style then I would consider a nicely equipped used model that already has the basic accessories on it.

Reactions: snik09 and Haywire

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't have any experience with and non S model. When I was looking for one a few months back all I found were used ones that people were asking MSRP or above for or wait an unknown amount of time for an S model to actually show up at a dealer and even then there might have been a huge mark up. For the extra $700 or so for the S model when comparing MSRPs of new ones, I'd say its a no brainer to get the S model. I ended up finding a used 2021 S model on facebook markeplace with only 199 miles on it for just under MSRP, but no taxes or fees and it came with a half windshield, a full windshield, and a soft rear panel. I wanted the S model mostly so I could try and run 30s with no mods, but the better shocks was a nice bonus also.

You can look at my thread here to see what all I've done. I have spent right at $2600 in wheels tires skid plate lights switches stereo speakers etc. Everything you see in my thread (minus the windshield) was $2600, if you shop around and install yourself.

Reactions: Andy>

·
Registered
2021 Teryx 4 SLE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you say difference I assume you
I don't have any experience with and non S model. When I was looking for one a few months back all I found were used ones that people were asking MSRP or above for or wait an unknown amount of time for an S model to actually show up at a dealer and even then there might have been a huge mark up. For the extra $700 or so for the S model when comparing MSRPs of new ones, I'd say its a no brainer to get the S model. I ended up finding a used 2021 S model on facebook markeplace with only 199 miles on it for just under MSRP, but no taxes or fees and it came with a half windshield, a full windshield, and a soft rear panel. I wanted the S model mostly so I could try and run 30s with no mods, but the better shocks was a nice bonus also.

You can look at my thread here to see what all I've done. I have spent right at $2600 in wheels tires skid plate lights switches stereo speakers etc. Everything you see in my thread (minus the windshield) was $2600, if you shop around and install yourself.

Thanks for the info! Also, great find on the used Teryx Sle. They’re hard to find new!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I would like to see a good comparison between an S model and a standard with good shocks (Bandit, Hester's, etc...). If buying new and the price difference is only the MSRP (versus dealer markup) it's a no brainer to get the S model. But if you could get a non-S used model for substantially cheaper and add stuff and add other parts to it. For example I have Bandits, arched a-arms front and rear, and 2" wheel spacers on my T4. Would I love to have a new S model......sure.......but would it be worth it based on how much it would cost me to upgrade?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think that would be interesting as well. I think before Covid you could find dealers selling base model teryx4's for like 13k or something, so at that point you could buy quite a few upgrades. This is the way I would have gone, but you don't see those deals anymore. I would point out that the factory S arms don't let me completely clear 30s. So eventually, even though I got an S, I will probably get SATV front arms if they make them. If you weren't planning on bigger than 28s then the S arms are gonna be perfectly fine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm sure it is the same on both

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
362 Posts
I would like to see a good comparison between an S model and a standard with good shocks (Bandit, Hester's, etc...). If buying new and the price difference is only the MSRP (versus dealer markup) it's a no brainer to get the S model. But if you could get a non-S used model for substantially cheaper and add stuff and add other parts to it. For example I have Bandits, arched a-arms front and rear, and 2" wheel spacers on my T4. Would I love to have a new S model......sure.......but would it be worth it based on how much it would cost me to upgrade?
I'm wondering if Kawasaki will start selling the "S" suspension parts to upgrade a standard model. I mean, I'm sure they have to start offering the parts as replacements but they should consider selling an upgrade "kit". Although, at OEM/dealer prices, I'm sure an HCR kit would be cheaper :LOL:

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
362 Posts
What about noise & heat. Is the sle better with these?
Everything is exactly the same on the two units except for the suspension parts and wheels, so all of that will be the same.

Reactions: snik09

·
Registered
2022 Teryx4 S LE
105 Posts
What about noise & heat. Is the sle better with these?
After riding this weekend, no difference in noise or heat. It was super hot at times and my stereo was super loud (no engine noise lol)

Reactions: snik09

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Everything is exactly the same on the two units except for the front suspension parts and wheels, so all of that will be the same.
There has got to be something different in the rear suspension also. The wheels are offset to the rear and and has more suspension travel.

Regarding another post about Kawasaki offering upgraded parts. I went to a random Kawasaki parts website (not the actual Kawi site, but a place that sells actual Kawi parts) and priced out. It was around $2,000 just for front a-arms and shocks, plus would assume you need new axle shafts (non S front axles are around $500 each), probably tierod ends, and maybe some other misc. parts. That's over $3,000 just for the front suspension.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
362 Posts
There has got to be something different in the rear suspension also. The wheels are offset to the rear and and has more suspension travel.

Regarding another post about Kawasaki offering upgraded parts. I went to a random Kawasaki parts website (not the actual Kawi site, but a place that sells actual Kawi parts) and priced out. It was around $2,000 just for front a-arms and shocks, plus would assume you need new axle shafts (non S front axles are around $500 each), probably tierod ends, and maybe some other misc. parts. That's over $3,000 just for the front suspension.
Yeah, you're right, I believe that the rear A-Arms are a little wider as well, they just don't have the high clearance curve to them. And I figured Kawi would want an arm and a leg for replacement parts... best to just go with HCR for a true long travel kit if a guy has $5k to spend on it. And I believe that Super ATV is releasing a new long travel kit for the Teryx fairly soon as well. Or you could find someone that is putting 40" tractor tires on an S model and try to buy some takeoff parts, lol.

·
Aug 2020 TOTM Winner
128 Posts
What's the price difference between the used 19 and the new S? IIRC, the difference between a new Teryx4 LE and a new Teryx4 S LE is only 4 or 5 hundred dollars... getting the S would be a no brainer between the 2 for the reasons mentioned above. About the only thing that would hold me back is the S would not fit in my 5x10 trailer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts