Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard a few stories about Viper but nothing on Gorilla winches. Anybody got any horror stories?

·
Registered
44 Posts
nope none yet haha i orderd a gorilla 4000 and mounting plate off of ebay for 174 and it works like a champ my buddy has one mounted on the back of his 4 wheeler also its like night and day vs his front winch which is a viper hope this helps yea

·
Registered
813 Posts
I put a viper max with the rope option on mine and its stout, pulls the rex with no problem. Havent had any touble out of it either.. I havent heard of any bad stuff out of the gorilla though either.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i've actually heard quite a few horror stories about the gorilla at the HighLifter site, but have none of my own. My Viper Max got put to serious use again this weekend with no problems. i must have over 50 pulls on this thing, and the only problems were caused by me. i have personally seen the off-brand china-made synthetic cable on the gorillas fail 3 times in one trip (kept snapping, so we'd shorten it until it was finally too short to use). the Viper comes with Amsteel synthetic cable. if you're not familiar with it, do a quick web-search and see.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Got the 4500# viper max that Skinny recommended to me. $318 shipped with the amsteel syn. rope installed. Only have had to use it once but worked great.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Looking to get a winch and really been looking at this Viper #4500. Are you guys still liking your Viper winch? How about the Gorilla? I don't plan on having to use it much but when I do it needs to work.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've been running a 3000# for over a year with more than 60 pulls with no real problems. it started on my Eiger and moved to my Teryx in March. i've had a e-clip break that was a design flaw that has since been fixed. i also broke the freespool lever by spinning it the wrong way with my big gorilla hands. both were very simple fixes that i was able to do myself. i want to move to a 4500 but can't seem to kill this one. i definately recommend the Viper.

·
Registered
323 Posts
that ad looks awesome, but the comparison is not correct. Viper does offer a 4500# winch. Viper uses Amsteel-Blue synthetic line, not the chinese line found on the Gorilla and Venom. Amsteel-Blue is Dyneema, just like the Venom (all descent synthetic line is), but has a patented coating called Samthane that makes it more stronger and more resistant to the environmental effects. Viper does not use a roller fairlead because they are not recommended for synthetic cable. a hawse fairlead is included with them though, because rollers can pinch the synth. rope and break it. I do, however, like the steel spool as opposed to the cast aluminum. it looks beefy.

$272 shipped is a good deal for a winch, and it should last you a long time, but be prepared to replace the cable. if you do, go with the Amsteel-Blue.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i have the 4500lb viper with just the wire rope and all i can say is i am not happy at all. the first time i went to use it the rope would not roll all the way up. no matter what i did and how neet i rolled it up the last 10ft would get stuck because thier wasnt enough room for that last 10ft. i called viper and talked to tech and they have heard of this but they really didnt want to do anything for me at all. at first the told me to cut 10ft of the cable.NOT! after many phone calls the finally sold me the amsteel at cost to put on my winch. the winch now works good but they really dont stand behind thier product like they should IMO.

·
Work blows, I wanna ride !!
708 Posts
We have the Viper 4500 w/ synthetic line, used it only a few times so far, but works flawless. My buddys sons rolled his ranger in the dunes the first weekend out w/ the winch. It had no problems pulling the ranger back up on its feet.
________
400GT MONZA

·
Registered
27 Posts
Rope to drum connector

Those that have changed to rope: How did you fasten it to the drum? My steel cable had a lug that screwed to the side of the spool. My amsteel did not come with any lug. I ended up using an electrical lug and large crimper, but I'm not sure if it will hold.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Viper 4500# and it is awesome! Only used it a handful of times but never had a problem. My buddy has the Viper 3000# and also loves it and has never had a problem. Hope this helps.

·
Vendor
246 Posts
Hi Everyone,
VERY interesting for me to read this thread. Good to hear the feedback on this issue of our VIPER line of winches. We are not sponsors here so I will refrain from overt marketing, but would love to hear if you are in need of sponsors. We work with several different boards.

Take care.

Peter
CEO
MotoAlliance (manufacturer of VIPER winches)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hi Everyone,
VERY interesting for me to read this thread. Good to hear the feedback on this issue of our VIPER line of winches. We are not sponsors here so I will refrain from overt marketing, but would love to hear if you are in need of sponsors. We work with several different boards.

Take care.

Peter
CEO
MotoAlliance (manufacturer of VIPER winches)
Good to see Viper out there reading the boards. This is a good way to see how your poduct stacks up.

I am going to buy one of your winches soon since all the good feed back but noticed that a new 2009 Elite model showed up. The only difference I can find is that is has a standard wireless remote and a quieter motor. Is this the only difference for the extra cash?

How much better is the synthetic line as well. I don't plan on using the winch much but know I will from time to time. Not much discussion between the cable and synthetic line. What are the advantages of the synthetic over the cable?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a Viper Max 4500 LB Waterproof ATV Winch w/Kawasaki Teryx custom mount on the way, any tips on the mounting/ wiring process would be appreciated.

·
oogie
466 Posts
I had a gorilla and hated it. Besides that fact it broke on the 3rd use. I went to a venom 4500 and have no problems at all. This thing pulls like crazy, I pulled a rhino and a rzr out at the sametime. My only complaint is the the line speed is slow. We have a bunch of guys in our group running the vipers and they have been working great. In fact if my venom goes out i would buy a viper.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts