Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many have posted here on heat..........

This last weekend, did some running 30-35mph range at noon, with temp at 88 degrees....that is 10degress cooler than the real Texas summer heat coming up. After about 10 minutes....I could not stand it any longer....the heat was near burning my leg. Got to do something, it’s near unusable now...and will be totally unusable on many days of summer.

Header warps – who has done it. How much did it help. What type of wrap did you use 1 inch, 2 inch. Did you remove the header to do it. Did you just wrap the pipes to the muffler? I think there is a spray paint associated with this....before the wrap ...after the wrap. The short of it, what does the whole process entail?

Insulation on motor cover – same set of questions.

Duct work – is some type of duct work to get more air moving across the motor in order?

Break in – my dealer has said give it 30 hours, it will run cooler. I have 14 now. He may be right, since I was told by a Rhino owner he had the same issues, and once fully broke in, some of the heat did subside. Opinions?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm betting you have an LE with the half windshield...... take the windshield off and the heat will be a thing of the past.... try it, and post back

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took the windshield off (helped to not feel the heat blowing back into the cab, pulled the silencer out of the muffler (this helped more than I ever thought possible), and wrapped the header tubes. We rode all day yesterday in about 90degree heat and did not notice a heat problem at all. I have about 9 hours on it now.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HB --- windshield is on....it will come off. spark arrestor is out. Can you give some details to how you went about with the header wrap. From the motor port to the muffler? Did you have to take them off? Spray paint? does the heat itself seal the wrap to the header?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I order some type of header wrap that is supposed to retain high heat from a speed shop online. The wrap was 2" wide and 25' long and that turn out to be the perfect length. It was a kind of a pain to get it on tight, just wrapped up to the muffler and they also have small metal bands that work good. Really haven't give it a good test ride yet, but what little I did ride saturday I really could tell a lot of difference. I knew this had to help, mainly the front cylinder pipe, that damn thing turned red. Still going to take off the windshield for the summer, sounds like that will help alot too.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I poked around on another diesel forum....the word on header wrap there is it rust the pipe. I also talk to another person, and he had used header wrap on car headers. Says it works well. He also said there is a spray you coat the wrap with that seals it, and prevents the moisure problem. Also...a freind told me the motorcyle shop across from his work, wraps Harley headers a lot....real popular to do, at least at that shop. He's going to ask them tommorrow about it.

I want to know more before doing anything else.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm no expert on the rusting part, but I beleive as much heat my puts out there's no way that moisture will build up under the wrap. It might be if you wash your motor off and put it up wet it could start rusting. But before you park it after you wash it, just run it for about five minutes, bet no moisture then. Hell after thinking about even if I had to replace the pipes ever couple of years I'll still do it as hot as the thing get.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alarmman - how many hours on yours? Heard the heat problem lessen as hours build up. But I hear ya....in 88+ degree weather, at the noon hour this weekend, my Teryx was dang near unusable after about 5 minutes of riding. It was that hot

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have right at 50hrs on mine and mine doesnt seem to get that hot.

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
Alarmman - how many hours on yours? Heard the heat problem lessen as hours build up. But I hear ya....in 88+ degree weather, at the noon hour this weekend, my Teryx was dang near unusable after about 5 minutes of riding. It was that hot
WOW mine at 88 degrees today after over 5 miles of crawling through the woods was not that hot at all. I could tell a noticable difference after removing the windshield. I checked the air filter to see if dirt was bypassing but it looks like it is not. Good.

I have 14.9 hrs on the beast and we are loving it. Getting jumpy in 4x4 low on steep property and slow driving.

·
Registered
82 Posts
go to local speed shop and ask them about engine ice or other stuff they carry. we run the engine ice and see a drop of around 20 degrees. little pricey, but worth every penny

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is that picutre of a Teryx exhaust...looks like it's a different exhaust.

Did you take the exhaust off to do this? Did you use a spray, before...after? I heard some do that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i went to auto zone and thry had the exhaust pipe wrap iput this on from the motor to the muffler and at the end secured it with steel hose clamps. i also got some heat barrier sheets off of the internet, i just googleled it cost about 40 bucks with shipping,make sure u get the kind that doesnt mold or mildew. i put it on the inside of my engine shroud and also under the seats. we rode about 60 miles saturday in 95 degree georgia heat and it really made the difference .i could actually use the cover as an arm rest. also if u have an le , i raised my winshield about 6 inches and this helped also

·
Cooterbob
210 Posts
I rode all day sat. here in Ohio in 90 degree high humidity. Most of our trails are slow crawling with deep mud holes and creek crossings. My brother and I both have standard models and they did great. No heat issues at all. My buddy had to remove his windshield on his rhino bec. of the heat. Once he did that he was fine. Also, we both have belt exhaust snorkels and they did great. We went through every deep creek crossing and even drowned out two grizzlys. By the end of the day no one would follow us through the deep crossings. My rhino buddy says he will be snorkeling his soon after seeing what we did. If I can figure out how to get pics of our ride on here I will post them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here's another pic of the teryx wrap, it was kind of a pain to get it on good without taking off the bottom skid plate, but it can be done. We rode yesterday in 92 degree heat and the wrap really did the job. Not sure if all header wraps are the same, but after shopping around on the net at some speed shops i got what was suppose to be some of the best stuff!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts