Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that all the harbor freight winch install posts are for the older style winch. After reading posts about adapter plates and clearance issues I went down to the local hazard fraud and picked up a 5000lb winch with a 20% discount coupon(165$ total) to see what else I might need for myself. Turns out....just 1/4" longer winch mount bolts that I had laying around. no adapter plates. Just a couple drill bits and some time. I just centered the winch in the factory spot using the supplied fairlead mount plate. Marked the holes and drilled and painted the holes(don't remember what size drill bit it was). Once the winch was bolted down I rechecked the blue battery post clearance to the bumper(About a 1/4"). To just be a little safer I took 1/8" off the terminal with a die grinder. To get the fairlead to clear the front skid plate I redrilled the fairlead mount hole higher up on the fairlead itself and bolted it up. Wiring was easy and straight forward and had plenty of wire length. The winch comes with a cab rocker switch and a corded detachable remote. The rocker switch went right into one of the provided rocker slots on the dash. For the remote connection. I took a piece of abs plastic and fabricated a mount plate that hides up in the driver fender well allowing for easy access to run the winch if I'm not in the cab. The winch comes with a red fabric "pull" handle that goes on the hook. I took a staple gun and made another hoop on it so I could attach the hook to the factory bumper so that it wouldn't dangle and clang around. Haven't had to use it yet but all around I like the end result. I might eventually switch it to a synthetic winch rope and hawse fairlead (FYI this has a 6" bolt mount to bolt mount length so the harbor freight synthetic kit won't work cuz it's 3.5" mount to mount). At this point I'm gonna leave it alone. Here's some pics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Excellent write up. Great job. Keep us posted on how you like that winch.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Harbor Freight also offers a wireless remote that plugs into that plugin you mounted. If the wireless remote fails you can still plug in the hand remote extension cable. The wireless remote helps a lot when guiding cable back on the winch after use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct. You will have to drill new holes if you do not buy an aftermarket winch mount plate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i just did this install as well. What did you plug your red toggle wire into? I bought a Connect a Circuit adapter to plug into the fuse box but obviously now i can't close that box and keep the water out, hoping there is a better solution!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts