Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having the 5,000 lb winch sitting around my garage for a year, I finally decided to tackle it.
The reason it took a year is every time I would "think" I was ready, I would open the box, look at all the wiring then talk myself out of it.

Well, I decided to go for it yesterday. It was more of a pain in the butt than I thought, mainly because I am to much of a perfectionist and don't like to see wires everywhere. I ended up placing the wire remote port inside the glove box. Most of the other wiring is routed, bundled and hidden underneath the air box.

I hope the new add on is worth all the effort!

Attachments

Reactions: Teryxonthego1!

Administrator
God bless 馃嚭馃嚫
Nice. I've seen the HF winches in action many times and they work great.

*Moved to winch section.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got a chance to try it out last night. I was trailering my T4 across town to a friends house when I noticed an older gentlemen standing in front of his Toyota Corolla. As he was backing out of the driveway he turned too sharp and ended up in the ditch. I pulled over, unloaded the Rex and the Badlands saved the day. He was impressed, as was I.

Reactions: SFD2014

Registered
I just purchased the 2500 lb winch and the mounting bracket sold at Harbor Freight last night. When I was looking at how it will mount, it appears that the bracket holes do not align with the Teryx holes. Did you have to drill to make this fit? Did you have to use the Kawasaki winch mounting bracket or did the 5000 mounting holes line up?

Registered
If you do not use a winch mounting bracket you will have to drill new holes, and a 2500 is a little small for these machines.

Reactions: loafie

Registered
So I returned the 2500 for the 5000 and was pleased to find a mounting bracket included. Got it mounted but realizing how hard it is gonna be getting to the dash for the switch. Did you pull the plastic behind the glove box before mounting or just drill through? The number of plastic rivets to just gain access looks insane.

Looking to mount the solenoid block on the tubing that runs behind the fan and lights. Screws provided are too short...

Noticed you don't appear to have notched the plate under the roller bar. Did you have to reshape it or did you shim the winch bracket?

Registered
Better get a bumper stop for your winches guys. Also, they recommend a winch 2.5x as strong as the weight of your vehicle. For the Teryx it's 4500lb winches and up. If you're adding a winch you need to get the PC925 odyssey battery to replace the factory one and if you're running lights and tunes like I'm sure you are them get a battery isolator and install a good deep cell under the drivers seat. Some skip the isolator and just run the secondary battery in parallel with the main battery with no issues but it's got to be harder on the stator but who knows. There's always an upgrade and always something else to do to our machines but it gives us a reason to drink beer, right?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Teryx17 if you have a 2017 Teryx like I think you do you can take the dash panel by pulling it off the dash. They are easy to pull off and pull your wiring thru for anything especially the 4 rocker switch cut outs and I also put my Boss radio in the round area the logo was. Jenson also has a 3" radio that works well too. I found both on Ebay, Blue tooth, flash drive,mp3 capabilities. Just pull the frame surrounding the pod/ speedo housing. Just pull up or out with fingertips or pry out with flat screw driver to start with.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TRex17, sorry I didn't see your questions till just now. Did you notch your skid plate or drill two more holes in the fairlead?

Registered
Mine came with a KFI 3500, was thinking of swapping it for the Badlands 5000. Think it would be as easy as just swapping out the winch itself ? all the other wiring is in place.

Registered
Anybody put these badlands winches through water much yet? I had bad experiences with an old 2500 on my four wheeler a couple of years ago.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine has been through a hell of a mud and water filled weekend...no issues yet

Registered
Did you have to buy a mount for the winch? Or did you drill holes directly on the frame? Im interested in installing one of these bad boys too on my teryx4, just a little smaller. lol

Registered
I have the 5k Badlands on my 19 T4. Only used once, a 90degree hard left pull out of 3 ft of water and deep ruts. It didn't even grunt, just pulled it right out.

USAF retired
What is a good mount to use with the Badlands 5K for a '17 T4? Are you guys upgrading or adding a battery, or just wiring it up to the stock battery?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts