Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So wanted a rear box storage solution but didn't want to spend $300+ on the current options. Buddy pointed out the Harbor Freight trailer tongue box and figured for the money I can give it a shot. Purchased the 2.31 cu ft and used a 20% discount so couldn't beat it for the price.

https://www.harborfreight.com/35-inch-steel-trailer-tongue-box-66244.html?_br_psugg_q=trailer+tongue+box

Comes with two u-bolts to be utilize to mount it to the trailer so figured I could use them to mount it to the bed. Drilled through the bed around the rear frame mounts which sit perfectly in the center. Securing the u-bolts keeps the box planted. The box lid doesn't open all the way due to the rear bars but opens 80% of the way giving enough room to put in and take out what you need.

Will be purchasing a thicker seal material so that it helps with dust (comes with a thin strip). Also will be purchasing rubber latches so that I don't have to keep it locked all the time (when its not locked it stays closed but not securely). Plan on buying a small cooler (rtic 16 can cooler) to fit inside of the box. If needed to remove can still just unbolt it and use the box to its fullest. Will hopefully be testing it out this weekend on a ride.

·
ROCKSOFFROAD
1,436 Posts
Thanks spiG that's a good idea
I'm exploring new box ideas for our new ride the last box was alright contico plastic no complaints We strapped the spare on top and it held up fine to all the weight
This time I need to eliminate a lot of weight (Not bring the kitchen sink) But still be strong enough to strap a spare on it
Otherwise I'm looking at hundreds of dollars for a spare tire rack Or get our fab shop to build a heavy beast of one

·
Registered
565 Posts
Cool. I have been running the box for a year. Works good. I used existing factory bed bolts to anchor it. One thing stupid is the lock mechanism seems backwards to me. I keep my batt jump n tool box and air compr with some water and such in it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool. I have been running the box for a year. Works good. I used existing factory bed bolts to anchor it. One thing stupid is the lock mechanism seems backwards to me. I keep my batt jump n tool box and air compr with some water and such in it.
I thought about using the factory bed bolts until I seen I could only get two of them of them and didn't think it would be enough to secure it safely. I assume yours is holding fine with just 2 bolts? Also how is it with dust and water with the thin gasket it came with? If you didn't add a thicker one yourself.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Looks good......gotta have something to keep extra gear on board

I opted for the factory trunk on my T4 when purchased new...$350 IIRC....

·
Registered
565 Posts
It stays dry. It does get lil bit dusty but its hard to tell if its my dirty stuff or opening closing or just leaking. I think its all of it. I replaced bolts and used washers but ya its sturdy, not going anywhere so far! Handy for tow straps, tool kits, air comp etc. Extra h2o, gloves/coat occasional picinick!

·
Registered
11 Posts
So wanted a rear box storage solution but didn't want to spend $300+ on the current options. Buddy pointed out the Harbor Freight trailer tongue box and figured for the money I can give it a shot. Purchased the 2.31 cu ft and used a 20% discount so couldn't beat it for the price.

https://www.harborfreight.com/35-inch- steel-trailer-tongue-box-66244.html?_br_psugg_q=trailer+tongue+box

Here is what I come up with

Comes with two u-bolts to be utilize to mount it to the trailer so figured I could use them to mount it to the bed. Drilled through the bed around the rear frame mounts which sit perfectly in the center. Securing the u-bolts keeps the box planted. The box lid doesn't open all the way due to the rear bars but opens 80% of the way giving enough room to put in and take out what you need.

Will be purchasing a thicker seal material so that it helps with dust (comes with a thin strip). Also will be purchasing rubber latches so that I don't have to keep it locked all the time (when its not locked it stays closed but not securely). Plan on buying a small cooler (rtic 16 can cooler) to fit inside of the box. If needed to remove can still just unbolt it and use the box to its fullest. Will hopefully be testing it out this weekend on a ride.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts