Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
KFXokie
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just got in from an attempt to go ride. I rode about 3 miles at 30 mph so the engine was warmed up. Got to the area we were going to ride and there was a plowed field that I hammered on the gas. Engine ran good up to about 45 mph and started sounding like it was getting to much air and smoking badly in the engine compartment. I slowed to a stop shut it down and looked it over. I had oil in the exhaust pretty bad. I checked the engine oil level and it was still at 3/4 full. I have about 350 miles on my teryx and did my own engine service. I put on the correct fram filter and Mobil 1 10w 40 motor oil. I have 1 month left on my warranty and I am concerned that Altus Motorsports won't back the warranty because I did the 20 hr service myself. Do you think I have fried the rings or pistons? I currently have custom HMF Duals, Dyna CDI, jetted to 147.5 front and 145 rear, 6 holes in the air box. Should I put the stock exhaust and CDI all back on before taking it back for warranty work? I called them and they said it would be 4 weeks before they could get to it. That sucks because they are to busy putting new rides together to work on the ones they sold.
Let me know if anyone knows what I could check to see what the problem is with the oil in the exhaust. I was ready to order a standard bore Fundy kit, but may have to change to a 800 or 840 now.

·
KFXokie
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did hit like a hump, but didn't get any air. Just lifted my stomach good. It happened right after that. I tried not to over fill when I did the oil change. It was 7/8 full on the dip stick when I changed it. I had read about this happening on steep inclines and wheelies like on my KFX 700.
Just pulled the filter and it was dry but there was oil in the mouth of the tube leading to the carbs. I had read about this happening. What should I do? clean the carbs and run it out?
Is the Mobil 1 synthetic a good oil for the Teryx?

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
Start it up and run it. It's not going to hurt anything now if there is something wrong. If it's broke, it's broke, nothing going to change that. Most of the time it just gets oil sucked in the air box.

·
KFXokie
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks Mickey! How does it suck oil into the carbs? It took the oil level down to the bottom of the dip stick. I have cleaned everything and still trying to burn off all the oil in the exhaust. It runs fine now, but I am concerned it could do it again. Is there anyway to fix it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts