Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watch out folks,

I checked my oil today on a 2018 Teryx LE with 1000 miles. Guess what was missing? The dipstick.

It was threaded into the cap, and now it's floating around in my engine somewhere. That's a new one on me. It doesn't appear that there is any kind of thread locker remaining on the threads on the inside of the oil cap, so perhaps yours may rattle loose at some point too.

I'm thinking a red high temp thread locker for it if the dealer who's trying to fish it out doesn't do that, but you guys might want to do a quick check on your machines to save you a big hassle.

Anyone know offhand if there is a washer on the dipstick too that I should be looking for? :sad

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should be an O ring on the cap. There is a groove, correct?
Yeah, the O ring on the cap is fine. The dipstick in the center of the cap just managed to vibrate itself out. I was just wondering if there was a washer for the dipstick itself before it threads into the cap, or if that just is supposed to thread in and stay there.

If it's just the dipstick, and it's supposed to just stay tight by itself, then factory must have missed the torque spec, or it needs a threadlock compound they didn't put on in production.

In any event, check yours. I've never heard of it on any machine, outboard or motorcycle for that matter, so it may be a one off -- or perhaps just a production issue for 2018 (or a very small subset of engines).

Premium Member
2011 Teryx Camo, Muzzy exhaust, MSD controller, Pro Armor doors, Method beadlocks and Tensor tires
I have old shit, on my 2011 the entire dipstick is plastic. I've spent considerable time around Teryxs, and I have never heard of a dipstick falling apart! I honestly didn't even know the stick was threaded into the cap. Definitely worth checking if you have a 2018.

Registered
Watch out folks,

I checked my oil today on a 2018 Teryx LE with 1000 miles. Guess what was missing? The dipstick.

It was threaded into the cap, and now it's floating around in my engine somewhere. That's a new one on me. It doesn't appear that there is any kind of thread locker remaining on the threads on the inside of the oil cap, so perhaps yours may rattle loose at some point too.

I'm thinking a red high temp thread locker for it if the dealer who's trying to fish it out doesn't do that, but you guys might want to do a quick check on your machines to save you a big hassle.

Anyone know offhand if there is a washer on the dipstick too that I should be looking for? :sad
I I lost mine in my engine just dropped it off at the dealership today engine light is on and won鈥檛 stay going

1 - 17 of 17 Posts