Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, what helmet are you guys currently wearing? I need one but I don't want to break the bank. I need one for my 9 yr old daughter as well.

Thx.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm in a 3/4 helmet by Troy Lee Designs. It's basically the Bell Custom 500 but with a couple of vents.
My wife wears an O'Neal Slat that is a 3/4 with an MX hat bill and lots of vents. This is very affordable helmet on Amazon.

My 10 year old is in an O'Neal 3 Series MX helmet in Adult Small.
My 7 year old is in a Fox V1 Youth Large.

Right around 8-10 years old they transition into Adult XS and Adult Small helmets so you have to try them on or be willing to ship them back if they don't fit. Many of the supply chains have been interrupted in 2020 and with the surge of people going out doors the supply you find might not be the color you want. Just have some patience with the process and you'll find what you want. Also, make sure you try on goggles with the helmet. My OTG goggles for my glasses require the helmet to sit high on my forehead.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It depends on how much you like it I suppose. I set a cap of $200 on each helmet for us, especially for the kids that will outgrow them soon.

But some people do go with the nice hybrid helmets that flip up and some have forced air which would be nice if you do a lot of dunes. If you’ll have the helmet for 4 years, would you be willing to spend $100 a year for that same helmet?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Are helmets required by law out there? They aren't required for sxs' here if you wear the seatbelt. Only quads and bikes are required Unless you wear a turban then you're except. I used to wear one all the time but was a pita with glasses fogging all the time and having to take it off to drink beer and smoke.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On some of the OHV State Parks, they do not require helmets but there are some private parks that I want to go to that do require helmets. I really don't want to rent a helmet that has been worn before. Plus, I want my daughter to always have one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I used to wear one all the time but was a pita with glasses fogging all the time and having to take it off to drink beer and smoke.
Unless you're talking about the turban :rolleyes:, the half helmet I wear (when required) doesn't interfere with my consumption of adult beverages...but, I agree with your statement.
On some of the OHV State Parks, they do not require helmets but there are some private parks that I want to go to that do require helmets.
Odd. My limited experience has been the other way around. Anyway, thinking more along the lines of our ATV days, kids need to protect the melon because it may not be otherwise engaged during that "I can do that" moment. I actually worried more about other riders than my own kids when on public land. Maybe I'm all wrong but I've viewed helmets as more of a tool than an accessory. I look at price first, comfort second and appearance/cool factor last. Function is what it is so long as it is DOT. That and my riding style is why I have a plain white half helmet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys, what helmet are you guys currently wearing? I need one but I don't want to break the bank. I need one for my 9 yr old daughter as well.

Thx.
my daughter just turned 9, we have been using a helmet from fox for the past 2 seasons. I think it was around $150. but please when buying a helmet don't let price be the deciding factor. have her try on different ones and get a light one that fits well. i have had some good crashes, not in the tyrex but on quads and bikes lucky never had a head injury, the helmet is one of those things I don't stress about cost. its your head kinda important. also not a bad idea is to look at a neck brace as well it can be a strain on their necks, my daughter has not had any neck issues but I still think this season we both run neck braces.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is spending over $400 on a helmet really worth it for a recreational rider?
for me yes it. I have a few $400+ helmets. my off road one is a fox v3 but I also use them for multiple seasons. my street helmet is similar to what the guys in moto GP wear and it was around $800
my daughters helmet was $150 but I would not have an issue spending more for hers.
I have a long list of concussions but never had one from a motorcycle crash. I have a couple helmets that are trashed from crashes but my head was just fine.
a helmet is something you cant go back after a crash and say well I wish I would of spent more on a better one, damage is already done.
im CA and helmets are required. driving with one takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have spent some time on this subject also. I have three kids that go with me.
I wanted to use bicycle helmets because they are lighter and breathe better. But they are not DOT or any type of vehicle rated, so I don’t think they would be safe enough in an accident. Even the high end full face ones.
So we are using dirtbike/atv helmets. MSR brand. They are DOT and ECE certified. We also wear goggles or safety glasses with the foam around the edges to help with dust. Goggles can get pricey. The safety glasses with the foam are much less money and readily available.
Try to find the lightest helmet you can. Weight will make a big difference over a day of riding.
i have had $100 helmets and $500 helmets. There is a difference. They MAY have the same certifications but the amount of testing and quality control and fit/finish and design will be a key difference. This is very important on the street especially at high speeds (interstate or track days). The design and material used will help with weight, air drag pulling on your neck, wind buffeting, and noise inside the helmet. However, a dirt bike helmet in a SXS that is noisy and in rough terrain, aerodynamics are not as crucial. But comfort is.
Also helmets have a shelf life, most people don’t know this. After a certain number of years they lose their rating. This should be stamped inside the helmet somewhere. Usually it is 5ish years.
The helmets I bought for the boys were normally $200ish and were mid level grade, but I bought them on clearance for $100 because they were a year old. I knew they would grow out of them before the time expired.

I like the ECE rating better than the old Snell rating. Good articles out there if you want to read and understand the ratings and testing criteria.

Just my penny’s worth.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have spent some time on this subject also. I have three kids that go with me.
I wanted to use bicycle helmets because they are lighter and breathe better. But they are not DOT or ant type of vehicle rated, so I don’t think they would be safe enough in an accident. Even the high end full face ones.
So we are using dirtbike/atv helmets. MSR brand. They are DOT and ECE certified. We also wear goggles or safety glasses with the foam around the edges to help with dust. Goggles can get pricey. The safety glasses with the foam are much less money and readily available.
Try to find the lightest helmet you can. Weight will make a big difference over a day of riding.
i have had $100 helmets and $500 helmets. There is a difference. They MAY have the same certifications but the amount of testing and quality control and fit/finish and design will be a key difference. This is very important on the street especially at high speeds (interstate or track days). The design and material used will help with weight, air drag pulling on your neck, wind buffeting, and noise inside the helmet. However, a dirt bike helmet in a SXS that is noisy and in rough terrain, aerodynamics are not as crucial. But comfort is.
Also helmets have a shelf life, most people don’t know this. After a certain number of years they lowe their rating. This should be stamped inside the helmet somewhere. Usually it is 5ish years.
The helmets I bought for the boys were normally $200ish and were mid level grade, but I bought them on clearance for $100 because they were a year old. I knew they would grow out of them before the time expired.

I like the ECE rating better than the old Snell rating. Good articles out there if you want to read and understand the ratings and testing criteria.

Just my penny’s worth.
Thank you for taking the time to write thank. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree with what everyone has said. I should have phrased my comment better... I did not set a price limit on my helmets as much as I was looking for the mid range models. I found that the cheaper helmets were very heavy, especially for my kids. Also, the cheaper models have been harder to find in 2020.

Just as everyone else has said, another nice thing about the higher priced helmets is most of them are much easier to clean. Removable liners and padding are nice when you spend a long weekend with several other SXS's bombing down some dusty back roads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts