Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

HELP with MSD & a new 840

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  dune_rex 
#1 ·
Okay... I've just installed my 840 kit. I've got everything plugged in, and I'm ready to turn the key.

Only thing is, how do I update the settings in my MSD from the original 750 maps to the 840 maps I got from Muzzy?

I can't start it, because I need to change the curves first.

If I just turn the key on to Accessory it doesn't turn the MSD on. (the software on my laptop doesn't recognize the MSD to connect).

So, how do you program your MSD?

#2 · (Edited)
You are going to have to figure out why your laptop wont connect to your msd. You need your laptop connected to the msd to program it. You either create your own map or have one sent to you via email and have to download them to the msd via a laptop.

I guess if you have a tuner within driving area you can take it to them.

#3 ·
So I guess nobody has any input here.

I have the map, (and the software) I just can't seem to get my Laptop to recognize the fact it's plugged in to the MSD....

Does the engine need to be running in order to connect?
Maybe I plugged something in wrong somewhere?

Any Help would be appreciated...

#5 ·
you dont need the motor running , you need the usb cable conected to your laptop and to the msd , then open the msd program then open new files and open the one muzzy sent you then tell it to upload and put it where you want it to be its easy read the paper work that came with the msd

#6 ·
Thanks guys... I know you're all trying to help. I've done this before...

I have my laptop plugged into the MSD...
I have the program running...
But the MSD isn't showing up in the MSD program in order for me to "Connect" to.

I know it's a pretty simple process, but it's not working... That's why I'm asking for help.

#7 ·
Are you by chance using a apple-Mac computer. If I remember correctly my powercammander software would not work with my apple computer. It was for windows.

#8 ·
No, I'm using windows... 7 actually.

#9 ·
Maybe try a different usb cable, or try uninstalling msd software and re-instling. Take the msd out of the rex n spray some contact cleaner into the usb port. I installed all my maps into msd with it completely removed from teryx as i dont have laptop so maybe you could try instling software onto another pc n try again. I kniw u must be about to set that rex on fire by now:nuts:

#10 ·
Thanks for all you help guys...

Turns out that my plug on the MSD was all corroded and wouldn't make a connection with the plug. I soaked the contacts in some Isopropyl alcohol and it cleaned it up enough I could make a connection.

Now I just got to plug it back in and see what happens.

Oh and you don't have to have your MSD plugged in to connect to the laptop (I removed it from the machine all together and used my PC in the house). The USB powers the MSD like a camera or cell phone.

Stay tuned... I'll be starting it up tomorrow night. YAHOO!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.