Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12 foot

Votes: 8 100.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 T2 and finally going to get a trailer. Have decided to spend the $$ and get an Aluma trailer. Question is do I get a 10' of 12'? I only need the trailer to get to off road sites for day trips, so I don't expect to haul a lot of items that I can't put in the back of my Jeep Cherokee.

I have no trailering experience and was wondering how a 10' handles compared to a 12' while driving.

If I am missing something chime in and enlightened me. Have read a-lot on the forum and there is a great bit of information to be had.

Thanks

·
Jan 2021 TOTM Winner
425 Posts
A 10' should work fine but I'd prefer a 12' because you can have more room to move the machine(forward or back{obviously}) on the trailer giving yourself more or less tongue weight as needed. Some people pull out the scale and figure out the ideal tongue weight, I've always just winged it. If you have a longer trailer you'll have more room to haul an extra dirt bike or beer.

Reactions: Haywire

·
Registered
303 Posts
Stay with a 12' trailer!
They handle better on roads, they track true and straight, and most important, they back up easier (10' turn & jack knife faster) when compared against the other!
Yeap, 12' is a smarter, more practical purchase for your money..
Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
213 Posts
For a Teryx I would go with the 12' for sure. The 10' would be tight if it is has a ramp attached to the back, and as Andy> mentioned you will have no room to adjust the machine at all if it doesn't pull like you want it to. You want that weight distributed slightly forward of the trailer axle so that it pulls nice and straight. If there is too much weight behind the axle of the trailer you will get some "fish tailing" where the back of the trailer wants to wander back and forth, which is no good. On the 12' you would have a little room to adjust the machine forward and backwards to get the tongue weight how you want it. On a 10' you could load it backwards, but that's about the only option.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I would also suggest the 12'. Really don't see any reason to go with the 10' version unless you wanted to park it in the garage or something and the longer trailer wouldn't fit. The 12' version will give you more versatility if you ever need to haul something else, plus gives you a little extra room to pack coolers, gas cans, tool boxes, etc...

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
This is how your T2 will look on a 12' trailer. Your call between a 10' or 12'???

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also would recommend the 12'. Not only do you have a bit of extra space for coolers and gear, but you have the flexibility of adjusting the position that you prefer to load your Teryx. Moving the machine forward or back on the trailer effects towing handling depending on your tow vehicle. Lastly, there is very minimal downsides to going with the 12' over the 10' as opposed to the benefits.

·
Administrator
Christ is King
4,229 Posts
This question comes up often. My general opinion/advice is to get the biggest trailer that you and your vehicle can tolerate. Obviously, where you have to store your trailer when it's not in use is a consideration. A 16+ foot trailer takes up a lot of space. I think a 12 foot trailer is a good all around size, and works well for the Teryx. Like others have stated, it gives you some wiggle room and space for extra gear.

BTW, you're going to love the Aluma. I went through several trailers before I bought an Aluma. I've been using one since 2015 and it's the best trailer I've ever pulled. Super light and pulls so smooth.

Also, I added a poll to the thread.

·
Registered
2021 Teryx 4 LE
16 Posts
Aluma 12 ft with Teryx4. Love it and pulls great. 90C43FA1-7628-413C-AC0A-81C70AD6D581.jpeg

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't know where you are located at but if you are in the Utah area, I have a 7x14 aluminum trailer for sale right now. It's made by a local company in Utah called Baughman trailers. IMHO it's built way better than the aluma trailers. Out here in the west they have alot of issues with the Aluma trailers breaking welds and starting to fall apart after a few years of being pulled around the rough, rocky roads around here that you have to drive on to get to your riding spots. If you're back east they never have any issues. This is info I got from an Aluma dealer here in Utah when I was looking at getting a trailer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know where you are located at but if you are in the Utah area, I have a 7x14 aluminum trailer for sale right now. It's made by a local company in Utah called Baughman trailers. IMHO it's built way better than the aluma trailers. Out here in the west they have alot of issues with the Aluma trailers breaking welds and starting to fall apart after a few years of being pulled around the rough, rocky roads around here that you have to drive on to get to your riding spots. If you're back east they never have any issues. This is info I got from an Aluma dealer here in Utah when I was looking at getting a trailer.

How much are you asking for the trailer?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2016 T2 and finally going to get a trailer. Have decided to spend the $$ and get an Aluma trailer. Question is do I get a 10' of 12'? I only need the trailer to get to off road sites for day trips, so I don't expect to haul a lot of items that I can't put in the back of my Jeep Cherokee.

I have no trailering experience and was wondering how a 10' handles compared to a 12' while driving.

If I am missing something chime in and enlightened me. Have read a-lot on the forum and there is a great bit of information to be had.

Thanks
Bigger is always better. At some point you’ll want a box to carry spare parts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts