Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright everybody, I wanted to good discussion on HID's and LED's. I would love to hear your personal preference,opinion, and experiences. Here are some facts on both, but I would like to hear what you have to say on the matter. So what do you like?!

HID(High Intensity Discharge) lighting is a quantum leap forward in off-road illumination. HID lamps produce daylight quality light(4200k) and brightness(3200 lumens). A single HID bulb produces the equivalent of 250 watts of Halogen lighting power, while consuming only about 45 total watts of electricity and generating far less heat. instead of a filament, HID bulbs fire a charge between two electrodes encased in a Xenon gas filled bulb. Since the bulb has no filament, vibration does not affect its operating life of approximately 2000 hours.

LED(Light Emitting Diode) lighting has been around for years, but is relatively new to the forward lighting off-road scene. Recent advances in technology have made it possible to produce high-output LEDs capable of reaching the performance & pricing of HID lighting. These lights have an extensive life(approx. 100,000 hrs.) and are very resistant to vibration. The benefits of LED lighting include smooth, even light patterns and the possibility of making the light assembles in many varying sizes and shapes.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
Very good topic, I feel that the HID lights have a further throw, and the LED bars are brighter in close could be wrong but the eyes tell me this:icon_thumleft:

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
I agree with what Chad said. Are LEDs generally easier on batteries and charging system because they don't have the big surge in power needed to light up like HIDs?

I have HID oem replacements and two 4" HIDs. On my 3rd season with the stock battery (Battery Tender Jr. used regularly) and if my Teryx isn't running the oem HIDs will not turn on, but for some reason the 4" HIDs will.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have ran both but for a side by side the LED produces a better light pattern than one HID light. I am running the Rigid 40" along with stock HID replacements and it works very well. Here is why I like the LED this is one light.

Attachments

·
El Moderator
4,038 Posts
I've ran both HID and LED; as far as I can see, there is no advantage to running an HID on a SxS. I've tested both on a class 1 car, and if you can go 90+mph, then the throw of an HID is worth consideration. I've also seen where LED lighting can cause user fatigue due to the intense brightness of the light. IMO because of the limited stator output of a SxS and the speed limitations, LED lighting is the best option.

Reactions: Dune Patrol

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
2-3 years ago I would of said heck no to a LED bar as the ones that were on the market did not put out enough light and the throw was not far enough for me; not to mention they were stupid expensive.

I went with the el cheapo Kragen 4" and they work very well for the $$$. Since that time the LED lights have gotton much better IMO and are noticably less expensive. If I were in the market for new lights I would get a 40" bar because it is brighter and more vivide to the eyes, not to mention no warm up time and can be used as a strobe during the day for safety. It also consumes less power on our stator powered cars.

Now if we were doing 100mph I would still go HID, but our 60-70mph cars LED's work great.

Speaking of which my Bj's 1/2 gallon beer growler/change jar is almost full. When its full my new 10" amber light bar for the bumper will be in the mail. :icon_thumleft:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've used both as well. No question LED's are the way to go. Especially here in the mountains of the east coast. You need more "fill" than the HID's generally provide. A twisty 20 mph trail calls for lots of side lighting that the LED's do a great job of providing. Plus no warmup is awesome. Just installed a backup LED license plate frame on my Ram, it has 7 high output LED's on it and when you put it in reverse, now you can actually see behind you through the tinted windows. Also just ordered 2 D2 Dually LED lights for behind my grill. Hell, I even put 20 LED recess lights in my house, they are the only way to go!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've used both as well. No question LED's are the way to go. Especially here in the mountains of the east coast. You need more "fill" than the HID's generally provide. A twisty 20 mph trail calls for lots of side lighting that the LED's do a great job of providing. Plus no warmup is awesome. Just installed a backup LED license plate frame on my Ram, it has 7 high output LED's on it and when you put it in reverse, now you can actually see behind you through the tinted windows. Also just ordered 2 D2 Dually LED lights for behind my grill. Hell, I even put 20 LED recess lights in my house, they are the only way to go!
Where did you find that led plate frame because the back up lights suck on my ram to?

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
i have had both setups on my teryx also. i have hid replacement headlights (definite must have btw). i previously had 5- 4" HID lights on my light bar. they were slow to fire up, drew a lot of amperage on startup, and sometimes not all of them would fire up at the same time (more than likely due to not enough amperage / wattage being supplied by the teryx electrical system). the lights were very bright, and had a decent throw. i also like how i was able to aim the 2 outside lights a little towards the let or right of the trail to cover alot of ground. i loved this setup.... then.... i upgraded to a rigid 40" SR series light bar!

this led light bar is EXTREMELY bright! it is a bright white light, and does a decent job of covering the sides of the trails. the throw is not as far as my hid lights were. the led light bar draws alot less power than my hid lights did (that is really good news for the teryx!) the led light bar is an instant on with no warm up period. i would say that the only issue i have with the led light bar is driving in heavy dust situations. i think the color temp and brightness of the led's cause a much greater reflection off of the dust making it really hard to hall balls while following (thats why i lead ;) ) i know this can be remedied by adding a small 10" amber led bar on my bumper which i plan to do eventually.

both of these setups really shine with the addition of the stock HID replacement however. in my mind, that should be your first lighting upgrade for the teryx!

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
Speaking of which my Bj's 1/2 gallon beer growler/change jar is almost full. When its full my new 10" amber light bar for the bumper will be in the mail. :icon_thumleft:
Lol. I keep my change in an aluminum Rolling Rock beer bucket! That is probably what I'm going to buy with my change too!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Big Dodge, I got it here:

HIGH POWER 18W LED BACK-UP LIGHT LICENSE PLATE FRAME

I don't know what kind of driving or car washing you do but you may want to consider sealing it after install. That seems to be the only major complaint. Once you get it, you will see what I mean, the plastic lens cover is only a tension fit holding it in place. I wanted to make sure mine worked well but now that it has been on for a month, I'm going to silicone it.

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think sconym kind of touched on this but I'd like to know if spare amps aren't a issue (you have a alt kit) which would everyone want then? I had four 6" 35w HIDs (2spot and 2 flood) on my Rhino that put out incredible light at night. Too the point I didn't use my stock headlights and I had to turn the lights off when I passed people.

I know LEDs are more compact and slicker look but I'm kind of old school and like the look for 4-5 lights on a light bar up top. Not to mention HIDs are crazy cheaper now then LEDs. I never had LEDs but I got a few buddies who do and got first hand experience with them.

·
El Moderator
4,038 Posts
I think sconym kind of touched on this but I'd like to know if spare amps aren't a issue (you have a alt kit) which would everyone want then? I had four 6" 35w HIDs (2spot and 2 flood) on my Rhino that put out incredible light at night. Too the point I didn't use my stock headlights and I had to turn the lights off when I passed people.

I know LEDs are more compact and slicker look but I'm kind of old school and like the look for 4-5 lights on a light bar up top. Not to mention HIDs are crazy cheaper now then LEDs. I never had LEDs but I got a few buddies who do and got first hand experience with them.
I'm an LED convert...here is why:

• Much more durable than HID so the lifetime of the light is greatly increase
  • Instant light, no warm-up/flickering/burned out bulb
  • Smaller footprint and less heat (night rides in AZ summers will teach you that)
  • Simple fact that you can run the lights and not worry about draining your battery (no alt on my ride). And yes, I've had to cut lights to save my engine from stalling due to low battery!

Reactions: sconym

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some great discussions guys. It still seems very apparent that it is a personal preference and always up for debate. I just wanted to say, for optimal use, especially at extremely high speeds it is important to have both. The throw that the HID emits is yes, further. But the led light is advancing and uses much less energy making it more efficient; not to mention the light it produces is phenomenal. Ultimately it's best to have both and of course we understand that's not an option for everyone, but you should always be sure you get the right light for your specific needs; whether it is HID or LED know what you are getting and why. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. Thanks guys.

BD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts