Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question here. First time Kawi owner. I have a 2018 Teryx4 800 le.

Been experiencing issues with thing breaking. I am starting to wonder if the hours/miles are accurate on my machine, or if I got ripped off.

Are the hours/miles stored in the meter unit or in the ecm? Would the dealer be able to scan the machine and tell me if the miles are right?

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Not sure but possibly the miles are redundantly stored in Ecu like cars do

What is breaking on it ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Front brakes were worn down to nothing.

Two lower ball joints.

Two wheel bearings.

Four wheel drive works intermittently.

This weekend, there was a really harsh banging underneath when I was in low gear.

Sometimes it takes forever to start.

It supposedly had lots of maintenance done right before I bought it.

I have only owned it a few months.

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
270 Posts
Unless they have changed something in the last few years, the mileage is stored in the cluster, not the ECU. So a speedo/cluster swap would change the mileage and there would be no way to verify the original mileage on the machine. I know when I was working with buying and selling a lot of ATV's it was a known issue for people to pick up a new lower mileage speedo cluster from ebay and swap it out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was just under 800 miles and right around 90 hours when we got it.

It is the 12th machine I have owned. And I have made more repairs to this thing than every other machine I have owned in the past combined.

Not sure if it is a Kawasaki thing, but historically, Japanese vehicles are usually pretty solid.

I generally treat my stuff well. I do regular maintenance, all needed repairs, and I never go full send or try to jump the machine. I do drive them hard, but not to the point some people go, where it looks like they are trying to break something.

·
Registered
262 Posts
That thing should not be that ragged out. I have 2500 hard miles and I have had to do none of that. Mine has basically been bullet proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Jan & Jun 2021 TOTM Winner
514 Posts
Maybe it was just ridden like a rented mule? I've got about the same mileage on my 2020 and I've only had to replace the front upper control arm bushings. I don't try to jump it or anything too stupid though.

My rzr on the other hand would wear parts before you even turned the key. I bought it used with only 400 miles at the time but it was already beat to shit. I had to replace the front diff, ball joints, bushings etc...But in my defense I couldn't really check it out very well with a broken leg and took the guys word for it having easy miles...It's not hard to beat the hell out of something in a short amount of time if you really put your mind to it.

Reactions: Haywire

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Front brakes were worn down to nothing.

Two lower ball joints.

Two wheel bearings.

Four wheel drive works intermittently.

This weekend, there was a really harsh banging underneath when I was in low gear.

Sometimes it takes forever to start.

It supposedly had lots of maintenance done right before I bought it.

I have only owned it a few months.
If they used it for a lot of mud or water riding that could lead to the brakes, bearings, and ball joints wearing out fast. The brakes on mine were trashed at 1,200 miles and not in deep water or mud that often and usually just because of stream crossings on the trails or unavoidable mud holes on the trail.

The four wheel drive issue is pretty common. Cleaning the connectors and actuator at the front diff can help. My '15 was starting to act up recently with really delayed 2wd to 4wd engagement and I did that and it returned to normal.

Along with the 4wd issues I wonder if the loud banging is associated with that? Can you verify if the 2wd to 4wd indicator on the display is flashing back and forth when this happens? I found on mine that if you were running in 4wd and then tried to shift on the fly back into 2wd it would not fully disengage and would periodically cause a bang and surge, assuming from the diff not fully disengaging.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure. I had a tablet mounted that blocks the meter display.

when I heard the banging, I was in 2wd on an easy (green) trail. I had just gotten off the paved road where I was in high gear going around 30 mph. I stopped fully and shifted to low. We went about 1/4 mile at under 15 mph when I started hearing it. One loud hard bang about every 50ft. I pulled over and looked everything over, and found no issues. I went back to the road and cruised lightly back to camp. It did not do it any more. The bang was very sharp and loud. Like hitting the frame with a hammer. The trail was dirt, no rocks to kick up.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
the teryxs do have a natural clunk sounds from drivetrain , and depending on your throttle foot the terrain etc it can be loud until you learn to control the pedal for the terrain, basically anytime the drivetrain has a load reversal etc etc it can clunk- normal. im not saying something else isn't wrong but this is a normal common sound and typical of a new owner to be concerned.

those miles are low. but could of been abused, could of been used in deep water and then parked as well. once water gets into places it can start to do its thing. also maybe they swapped out parts for obvious reasons or not and you dont know and that caused pre mature issues due to the persons poor mechanical abilities or quality of parts used. lots of variables here. teryx is a tough reliable machine. your situation is not common. if the miles etc are correct. look at the paint etc . if only 900 miles on it etc i would likely be to tell. if it has 5000+ i could also probably tell

lots of variables at play. i have 16.1k miles on my 2012 teryx4 still a great rig. i keep up on it and use it in Alaska back country

·
Registered
9 Posts
90 hours and 800 miles is an average of 9 mph... maybe lots of short trips, idling, rough trails, etc. Some plugs as was mentioned might be a good idea. Also check all filters to make sure no restriction. That thing s/b just getting broke in!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts