Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market to purchase a Tyrex 4 but obviously trying to stay on some sort of a budget. I have seen new units ranging from 14k-18k but not opposed to buying used.

In the used market I am finding units in the 11k-14k price range from 800 miles -6500 miles. I would like to stay with an 18 model or newer, but how many miles is to many? What should I be looking for when viewing these units? The unit I recently saw was an 18 LE digital camo model with 6400 miles being sold by a dealer for 12K. Is that a good deal?

any help or insight would be great. My goal is to stay under 20K after bike, lift, wheels, tires, and cage.

· Jan, Jun, Oct 2021, Feb 2022 TOTM Winner
939 Posts
When I was looking for one last year people were asking close to what a new one cost and they'd have between 600-1500 miles. I just paid a few thousand more and just bought a new one instead of buying someone another trashed machine. At least now I know if it's been flipped or ran upside down, swamped, and keep maintenance records to keep warranty.

I don't think 12k for a 6400 mile machine is a good deal.

· Premium Member
2017 Teryx4
543 Posts
I have bought some used ATVs knowing little old ladies don't drive them to church on Sunday. Who knows what Pandora's box of a nightmare you buy when you buy used. I don't pay up for used and 5 figures for a used SXS is paying up, IMO, unless you know the previous owner. When new is just a couple grand extra, THAT is money well spent.

That said, these also have hour meters on them and I think that may be helpful if you are dead set on buying used. Mileage may clue you in on wear of parts but you can get a clue how hard the unit was ridden, maybe, by determining miles per hour. We toodle/putt around and my average mph is probably in the neighborhood of 12-15. We're not very rough on it. Well, that may be rough on the belt... Of course, these don't tell you how deep they have been in the water, if they have been on their sides, etc. Buying used is a risk, plain and simple.

Oh, and can the seller produce service records?

· Administrator
4,391 Posts
I've walked away from several used ATVs over the years, but I've bought a few used ones over the years that turned out to be very good machines. Nothing wrong with a good deal on a used unit. Don't be afraid to comb through it and ask a lot of questions.
  • Pop the hood open and take the air box cover off and exam the filter. If it has mud in it, I'd probably walk away.
  • Pull the filter out and check for dirt in the intake tube. If you see dirt inside the intake tube, walk away. Dirt in the air box is ok, just not on the clean side of the filter.
  • Pull the oil dipstick - look at the oil and smell it. Does it look and/or smell burnt? Look for metal shavings too.
  • Check the shocks for fluid leaks.
  • Ask for maintenance records.
  • Start it up and let it idle for several minutes. Look for exhaust smoke or rough idling
  • Drive it in all gears - high, low and reverse
  • Check that it will go into 4x4 and diff lock
Good luck.

· Registered
83 Posts
There are good buys out there if you look around. Last May I was able to buy a used machine (2018) Teryx2, fou under 10k with only 30 miles and 10 hours on it. Granted I looked around for quite sometime but found several in the 200 mile range for around 10-12

· Registered
2019 Teryx4 LE. 30 in Terache Aztex
26 Posts
I got a 2019 T4 LE brand new for $13,517 otd but it seems I got a deal and those are currently long gone. All around me are about full msrp now. No idea what is considered too many miles, basically it depends on maintenance and condition. Most used ones locally are way up in price, near new price.

· Registered
4 Posts
When I was searching for my side by side I wanted something that could handle yard work, hunting, towing, and also do what some of the sportier performance can do. My 2020 base Teryx 2 800 fit the bill. I bought my unit new with 0.5 miles on it for $12.5k in New Mexico. The dealership had a used higher trim level with 3k miles for $14k probably around what I paid for mine with some negotiation. I couldn't justify paying the same amount or possibly a little more for nicer wheels, and two extra headlights. I know how I've used my machine and am pretty hard on it, which I knew I would be. So I went the safe route and purchased a new one. If you are a good negotiator and have the ability to pay cash or save up then go that route. Paying it off outright have me so much more room and leverage to negotiate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts