Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Happy Gilmore of the T-rex's
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen the RZR seats in a couple of teryxs, and decided that an upgrade in comfort was in order. I proceeded to search the web, and quickly found a set of RZR seats for $215 shipped to me.

I received the seats (2 backs, 2 bases, 2 frames, and the fasteners to install the cushions back to the framing.)

Below is the process I went through to install the seats into my 2010 Teryx.

First, you will need a Teryx.

Tools are:
- cordless drill or equivalent
- set of drill bits (really only need a small bit for a pilot bit, and a 5/16" bit)
- 12mm socket (teryx seat base bolts)

(if your seats bolts come out with no problems, nothing else.)

IF YOUR SEAT BOLTS DO NOT COME OUT EASY
- beer
- patience
- vise grips
- good flat head screw driver
- hammer
- more patience

- grenade (just in case)

Additional Parts
- (4) - 1/4" x 1" hex head bolts
- (4) - 1/4" lock washers
- (4) - 1/4" flat washers

Next Step (removing factory Teryx seats from factory bases)

Remove the factory seats from the Stock teryx bases as you will re-use the teryx base. This proved to be the hardest part of this entire install.
I take care of my Teryx, but occasionally it gets rain on it from being forgot to be put under the shed. The stock Teryx seats are not sealed as well as you would think they should be.

There are four bolts on the bottom of the Teryx bases to remove (12mm socket). Once removed, the seat will be off of the base. The bolts on mine were green in color.

The seats allowing water in causes whatever grease or compound that the factory puts on the threads to gum into a white mess. Out of the 8 bolts (4 per side) only one removed without issue. The bolts are screwed into a self holding nut that bites into the plastic. The self holding nuts spin through and chew the plastic causing them to spin freely with this gunk/water issue.

I had intended on saving the seats for later use if needed. The only way at this point to get the seats off was the separate the cushion from the seat hull, I was able to separate them easily with some hard pushes from my fingers at the edges, and the glue that holds the cushion onto the seat hull gave right up. I could then access the "nut". I had to pry the outer wings of the nuts up with a screw driver, then get a pair of vise grips on them so i could hold the nut and break the bolts lose. The vise grips slip every once in a while and you have to re-grip. Get that done, and the rest of it is a piece of cake. BE PATIENT, you will eventually get this done, the vise grips slipped a lot on me, but I could tell victory was in sight...

Next Step (Mounting the RZR seat frame to the Teryx Base)

I started out with a quick test fit. I used the existing teryx seat base front holes that the stock Teryx seats were bolted to on the front side. The RZR frame is spaced the same width as the Teryx holes, so the holes on the front line up. NOTE: the RZR frame has bosses built in that are threaded to screw the fasteners into. Here is where you will use the additional parts. My seats did not come with the fasteners for the seat frame to the mounts, so I went through my bolt bin and found that 1/4" std. bolts worked fine. I played with the length, and found that 1" long worked fine. I fastened the RZR frame to the seat using two bolts in those front holes.

I wanted to go ahead and check the seat clearances, so I had to take those two bolts back out, and then install RZR base cushion on the frame first (just a couple of bolts to test fitment, then re-install the RZR frame onto the Teryx seat base. Then I installed the RZR seat back on the RZR frame the same way with a couple of bolts.

The fitment is good. Leaves about 1/2" to 3/4" between the stock Teryx headrest and the RZR seat back.

Next Step (completing the RZR frame to teryx base install)

I took the RZR seat back off the base and dis-assembled it again. We know the two front holes on the RZR frame line up, and there are two more of the stock RZR bosses on the seat frame. So I figured I would just use those. I had to mark those hole and get them drilled out on the stock Teryx base.

Where the bosses are on the RZR frame, the hole does not go all the way through. The threaded hole on the bottom goes into the frame, and then there is no hole on the top side. I put a small drill bit in my cordless drill and centered it best as eyeball possible, and drilled through the top side to give me a hole to drill down through in the next step.

Next i drilled out the pilot hole to 5/16". I did the same on the other side of the RZR frame leg as well.

I then bolted the RZR frame back onto the Teryx seat base using the 2 front holes that lined up already. Got them fastened and checked squareness. When I was happy with the position, i used my small drill bit to drill the 2 holes into the Teryx base using the newly created hole on the RZR frame as my guide.

Then I enlarged them to 5/16" (the 2 holes to the rear most part of the Teryx factory base are the holes from the original seat which will not be used. I think I might use them later to install fire extinguisher or a gear bag)

Next Step (put the RZR cushions onto the RZR frame and tighten them down)

You have to put the base cushion on first for sure, as you can not get to it to tighten it after it is put on the base.

Then install the RZR frame onto the seat using the 1/4" bolt setup.

That concludes that assembly, now you get to do it over again on the other side. You will notice that it is a little harder to put the seats into their spots on the teryx due to not being able to lay them back as much as when they were stock, but it didn't take me long to get used to it.

Now you can go enjoy a more comfortable ride.

If you have any questions, post them up. I will answer as best I can.

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
Good info.

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
nice write up!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Now figure out a way to add some Rhino half doors and our T2's will be the most desirable RUV out there!!!!

·
Happy Gilmore of the T-rex's
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the heads up Rufus! I will take care of that now, then still order the covers to match up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Boy they look awesome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts