Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody has a solution to modify roof gutter on T2 factory roof?
I and my passenger gets soaking wet every time it rains as the little gutter directs the full stream of water directly onto the driver and passenger

Annoying as one gets probably more soaked then driving without roof

·
Jan & Jun 2021 TOTM Winner
610 Posts
I thought I read a post where someone caulked the ends of the gutter and drilled a few holes so water would run down somewhere else. They may have had a full windshield though.

I wonder if some gutter extensions off an rv may help some? Something like this:https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-42134-Replacement-Gutter-Extensions/dp/B000BUOSG6?th=1 They would probably break off easily too.
Is it that bad? I'm picking up my new machine tomorrow and have a tripped planned next weekend. It's supposed to rain the entire time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have Kolping flip window

I thought I read a post where someone caulked the ends of the gutter and drilled a few holes so water would run down somewhere else. They may have had a full windshield though.

I wonder if some gutter extensions off an rv may help some? Something like this:https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-42134-Replacement-Gutter-Extensions/dp/B000BUOSG6?th=1 They would probably break off easily too.
Is it that bad? I'm picking up my new machine tomorrow and have a tripped planned next weekend. It's supposed to rain the entire time.
Water gushes down along A-pillar and then inside door , legs and body. I have seen a thread with a mod to couple years ago cant find it
Will look at your suggestion

·
Registered
74 Posts
After a rain, get up and see where it is pooling. Place black caulking in front of the area. Drill a 3/8 hole there. Problem solved.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
its not any pooling on roof

After a rain, get up and see where it is pooling. Place black caulking in front of the area. Drill a 3/8 hole there. Problem solved.
Yeah Ronnie, Water down your neck now LOL
its the little spouts molded into roof on both sides that direct the water inside.
I am thinking now to caulk the spout ends shut and drill a hole in the center of the gutter and direct the run off down the windshield which probably will cause a problem if my upper half of windshield is tilted open.
But I can close it to.....
still looking for past thread where somebody posted a fix, cant find it
Was that you Barefoot?

·
Premium Member
2016 Teryx2, 2011 Brute Force, 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500
1,457 Posts
I don't have that problem with my roof. I used a little peal and stick rubber RV gutter on the sides and front to direct the water away. It all comes out in the front corners just outside the doors. I ride in all weather and I'm always warm and dry. I made the top out of an old fiberglass truck cap that I got for free :big-grin

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like your roof a lot hawk

I don't have that problem with my roof. I used a little peal and stick rubber RV gutter on the sides and front to direct the water away. It all comes out in the front corners just outside the doors. I ride in all weather and I'm always warm and dry. I made the top out of an old fiberglass truck cap that I got for free :big-grin
should have done my own to,
wonder why this thread doesn't get more response as my hunch is that a lot of people swear about the roof gutters soaking them
Look at that stupid design, water drains right at pillar and then gets pushed inside

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Yeah Wolf, it may look a little dorky to some, but I love my top. My bike didn't come with a top on it and I wasnt willing to pay over $350 for a factory one that was nothing more than a single layer of plastic. And I saw that rain gutter problem immediately. I looked at all kinds of homemade options before ruling them all out and coming up with this one on my own. I must say, it has worked out fantastically, is two layers in the center (great for mounting roof items without the screws poking through) and its even carpeted on the underside (which also works well to hold small items on velcro). The best part was that it was free! I haven't seen anyone else with one like it either. And since it is fiberglass, its easy to repair or paint :icon_thumleft:

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
335 Posts
should have done my own to,
wonder why this thread doesn't get more response as my hunch is that a lot of people swear about the roof gutters soaking them
Look at that stupid design, water drains right at pillar and then gets pushed inside
funny... the very first ride I ever had on my T4 it rained and I immediately started swearing about this. I just used a little silicone to plug the ends and drilled a hole farther in so that most of the water runs down on to the windshield. It is a bad design for sure, especially if you use a windshield to try and stay dry.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tried placing valve stems in gutter but stem holes not big enough do drain fast enoug

funny... the very first ride I ever had on my T4 it rained and I immediately started swearing about this. I just used a little silicone to plug the ends and drilled a hole farther in so that most of the water runs down on to the windshield. It is a bad design for sure, especially if you use a windshield to try and stay dry.
so I will end up doing exactly that, plug gutter ends and drill holes
to avoid water pushing back in over windshield I will use some pipe insulation foam Sleeves to close gap between roof and windshield
Hope this will solve issue

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
335 Posts
I'm still messing with ideas to stay more dry while riding in the rain. I plugged the ends of the roof gutters and drilled a few holes to allow the water to drain down on to the windshield but without a good way to seal that gap above the windshield (SATV flip up) you get more wet than the factory set up when riding at any speed. When you are moving all the water blows up over the windshield and drips all over you in the cab, which is actually worse than the factory set up because you get water over your head instead of just on your left leg. I tried a few things but short of maybe finding and installing a rubber flap, nothing seems to work well. Now I am thinking of installing a couple vinyl tubing "downspouts" to direct most of the water out below the door height somewhere. Has anyone tried something similar? I don't want it to look too hillbilly but would prefer to stay somewhat dry while riding in the rain - particularly when doing chores, etc.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I have the exact same comments as above with the factory plastic top and SuperATV flip up windshield. The stock setup dumps all the rain right on your leg and into your lap. I caulked up the ends of the gutter and drilled a couple holes further inboard. That works decent when going slow but if you get up to any type of speed on the road it blows it in over the top of the windshield.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Only stop up the drivers side of the channel. That way all the water will run out the passenger side and you will be dry. :ROFLMAO:

·
Sep 2020 TOTM Winner
335 Posts
Well, I was messing around with a downspout system for the roof. Please forgive the rudimentary install as this is just a test version and I was using stuff I had in the barn. It works pretty well but needs a few improvements. I need to find a little larger ID hose (in black) to use as this one was quickly overwhelmed if I put the hose on full blast. Along with that, I need to make some bigger blocking plates to hold back a little more water and direct it into the hose before flowing over the sides. And I will try to find a flush mount bulkhead type fitting to attach the hose to the roof more cleanly. I realize that this is a bit excessive for something that really isn't that big of a deal, but I just can't leave anything alone. :D I can't figure out how to post the video from my phone so here are a couple screenshots of the test version.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Sky Tree Bumper

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts