Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Vendor
3,814 Posts
ya.. and i guess you can also just go buy the cheap frys brand saran wrap and make a whole cage topper for under $5.00...

·
Registered
385 Posts
yes you are right I bet you could have a custom maid top cheaper than they are sell one made at the factory or exhaust 850.00 doller for a muzzy get real they dont have 150.00 doller in cost so they are making around 700.00 profit!

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's not just UTV mods, any more it seems EVERYTHING is really inflated in their prices. I think the fuel cost is eating all of us up. It's not that the products are bad, it just the 'value' related to the price just ain't there anymore.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I totally agree, with fuel costs you sortive have to buy it no matter what the price is at since there is no alternative besides hybrid cars. When it comes to UTV mods there is a room to be innovative and creative, or pay someone to weld up you're layed out blue print. Like a roll cage top get some U-joint bolts and nutter on.

Purchases like that all you payin the $xxx.xx for is convenience.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
yes you are right I bet you could have a custom maid top cheaper than they are sell one made at the factory or exhaust 850.00 doller for a muzzy get real they dont have 150.00 doller in cost so they are making around 700.00 profit!
You must not own a business. Just go price stainless tubing a mandrel tubing bender a cad mill to build the billet bracket pay the employees for all of the time to program and operate the equiptment a 10 ton stamper to make the silencer end caps and a dyno and the 100 hours or so to do the testing and tuning the pipes. Or you could out source all of that and make a commitment of lets say 500 to 1000 units paid up front to even get a decent price and hope you can sell them all. Ya that looks like about $150.00 to me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
That's called capitalism. I will agree with you though that prices are much higher for a UTV than say for a Ford Mustang - There are a whole lot more mustangs being built than UTV's. This means all of the costs involved in making a product, R&D, equipment purchases and depreciation, Salaries, rent for the business, telephones, web pages, advertising, write offs from free product to reviewers, and yes, profit too. Spread that out between a few hundred UTV owners buying a product compared to several thousand Mustang owners buying the same product, higher volume lowers the per unit cost.

Now if you are a business owner, you are taking a huge risk, and with that risk should also come rewards. The rewards should do just that reward you for the big risk that you take, Big risk equals big rewards, or that's what business owners hope happens.

Yeah, it does suck, I remember when you could get a 4 stroke pipe and silencer for under $100 - Now they are $400 and up. That's the cost of doing business in America, If it is built here it is going to cost more money. If you want cheap go look for stuff that is made in China...

·
Registered
23 Posts
The price of materials to build these items is getting expensive. When we are quoting jobs at the shop now the quote is only good for 1 week because the price of materials keeps going up. I realize it doesn't seem like much but it takes more than some people think to build or make these items. I have access to "slabs of clear plastic" however I ordered a factory full windshield for my Teryx and I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I will say this tubing and tub bender cost alot of money but you make more than just one kind of pipe? If a teryx exhaust cost kaw 899.00 to buy then the whole unit would cost around 20,000.00 to buy at that kind of mark up.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I hear you guys, but my comments wasn’t directed at the small business person in any industry but more a manner of how many businesses have conducted themselves, and the obvious...getting around...ways to milk all they can out of it. I’ll give some examples of a few that irk me.

The primer bulb on a Echo weed eater. It’s a little thimble shaped thing, I’d guess a nickel of plastic if that. As I recall it was around $4.60.

$4.67 diesel..... I realize it’s up because of world demand, specially from China and India, but also I’m hearing on the news that this is because speculators have artificially driven up the price. Should it be $3.50 a gal, perhaps? A good portion of these high prices, is ALL the damn politicians of the world not doing their job....and it’s in part a thing called GREED. It would be VERY interesting to see a first year congress person’s net worth, then again what it is each year they serve in congress.

AT&T fired President John Walter after nine months, saying he lacked intellectual leadership. He received a $26 million severance package. GUESS who really ends up paying for that type of company management. And unfortunately ..... you can’t get away from it, it has infiltrated every company.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I will say this tubing and tub bender cost alot of money but you make more than just one kind of pipe? If a teryx exhaust cost kaw 899.00 to buy then the whole unit would cost around 20,000.00 to buy at that kind of mark up.
Kawasaki produces tens of thousands of exhausts over many models of MC, ATV and UTV units that they produce. They can afford to buy the machine even at a high cost because the PER UNIT cost of the machine fabrication is greatly lowered. So, Another company has to make up that cost of selling just a few units at a time. It make the product more expensive. Its the difference between limited production and mass production. Surely you can understand this concept?

As a business owner myself this concept is very close to me (although we provide services, not physical products) as I can see it when we try to anticipate costs, fluctuations in our markets, If customers buy from us, and still pay employees, pay the rent, pay the advertising budget, and on and on and on. We take on a lot of risk so the money we make off of our business as profit does help extend our level of living, we also sink a fair amount of profit back into the business to make it bigger and better.

You might want to take a couple of introduction classes in starting your own business, then see just exactly how expensive it is to start and run a business and succeed in doing it. It will be eye opening to say the least.

·
Registered
385 Posts
GET REAL MUZZY MAKES 1000s of pipes for bikes and atvs some of their pipes cost over 1500.00 for bikes so what is a fair mark up? I bet the mark up is over 200% over the cost? I just bought a full stainless exhaust for my truck only cost 499.00 not 899.00 like for the teryx. people dont pay this kind of prices and watch the price come down?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hate to say this but you are wrong about the windshield. If you look at the link that you posted for the windshield, that is NOT a half windshield.. That is a full windshield that is in two peices..

I am not saying if this is priced high or not.. Just saying that the $339.99 for a full 2 pc. windshield is not that bad..

Now if it was just the small half winshield that you thought it was then yea that woulda been high..

Just throwing my .02 cents worth in here.

The mods we look to buy are way overpriced, to the point where you're better off making it urself.

For example

Trail Armor Rhino CoolFlo Windshield - Custom ATV Accessories by Trail Armor

339.00 for half a windshield, could easily grab a slab of clear plastic, measure it up, cut it, drill 2 holes in each corner, zip tie it and be ready to go.

·
Registered
60 Posts
GET REAL MUZZY MAKES 1000s of pipes for bikes and atvs some of their pipes cost over 1500.00 for bikes so what is a fair mark up? I bet the mark up is over 200% over the cost? I just bought a full stainless exhaust for my truck only cost 499.00 not 899.00 like for the teryx. people dont pay this kind of prices and watch the price come down?
You don't own a business do you? A company like Muzzy makes a very good product, they spend a LOT of money for R&D, they spend a lot of money getting that word out, they give very good customer service, which is also expensive. Now those owners of that business are taking a big risk. I doubt you see it, but they are. Why shouldn't they be rewarded for working hard putting out a product that WORKS?

You still don't grasp the concept of mass market. how many HUNDREDS of thousands of Ford/Chevy/Dodge are made each year? Compare that to a few thousand Teryx's sold. There will be tens of thousands of truck exhausts sold.
There will be there will be a few thousand Teryx exhausts sold. Now divide those numbers up to all of the companies selling exhausts. Surely you can grasp this simple concept of the more of a product you make, the less the price will be because your fixed costs (costs other than the cost of materials to produce the product) will be spread among a lot more units. I strongly suggest taking a class on starting your own business. It will give you a grasp of what it takes to bring a product to market.

Now Prices will come down with competition. Someone will come out with a product that costs less and you will have the option to buy it. You don't HAVE to buy the Muzzy, You can buy the lesser priced product. It's your CHOICE to buy and if you are shopping for price, then perhaps the Muzzy is not for you.

Oh yeah, what constitutes "fair" markup? Fair markup to me is whatever the seller can sell the product for. If people buy it at $899 then that's a fair price.

Perhaps you are one of those people who thinks that everyone should make about the same amount of money and "rich" people are evil and the government should control how much stuff costs etc etc ...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hate to say this but you are wrong about the windshield. If you look at the link that you posted for the windshield, that is NOT a half windshield.. That is a full windshield that is in two peices..

I am not saying if this is priced high or not.. Just saying that the $339.99 for a full 2 pc. windshield is not that bad..

Now if it was just the small half winshield that you thought it was then yea that woulda been high..

Just throwing my .02 cents worth in here.
Are you saying that the window comes in 2 pieces? 1 Is the lower piece like what the LE comes with, and the 2nd square upper piece.

Either way thanks for bringing it to my attention Ralph.

Jaybo and Jcummins you both bring a lot of strong statements from a business mans point of view. I understand why they mark up, a lot of us are trying to get ahead to better our quality of life. When you selling me 2 pieces of plastic for a window, or a square top for the top of my roll cage for $200-350. Gets a bit absurd, but when it comes to making a pipe that lets out the gases after a combustion ina cylinder, may just seem like exactly that, but theres a lot of work/technology/machinery to make that pipe so I don't mind when I see one for $500-600.

Edit: Ahh now that I put my glasses on I can see where they molded the bottom piece a bit different than the LE. Kinda gets my wheels turning, maybe I should make an upper piece, flip my Lower LE piece cut the top corners on, and mount it. That way the Top windshield protects debri and dust, the bottom lets in an airflow that blows more towards the top, so the air in the cab circulates."

·
Registered
385 Posts
I had my teryx at hmf for them to make a full stainless exhaust from start to finished and on the dyno 3 days! they spent alot of money on r&d yea right! also HMF is about 150.00 dollers cheaper than muzzy with the same hp! kind like paying for green paint on a johndeer tractor same tractor as everbody else just alot more mark up! Their is a fair mark up and then their is getting scr**d!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had my teryx at hmf for them to make a full stainless exhaust from start to finished and on the dyno 3 days! they spent alot of money on r&d yea right! also HMF is about 150.00 dollers cheaper than muzzy with the same hp! kind like paying for green paint on a johndeer tractor same tractor as everbody else just alot more mark up! Their is a fair mark up and then their is getting scr**d!
You still don't get it. I give up. :nuts:

·
I WANT ONE
202 Posts
The price of materials to build these items is getting expensive. When we are quoting jobs at the shop now the quote is only good for 1 week because the price of materials keeps going up. I realize it doesn't seem like much but it takes more than some people think to build or make these items. I have access to "slabs of clear plastic" however I ordered a factory full windshield for my Teryx and I'm glad I did.
This is effecting EVEYTHING...My cat food has gone up $3.00 on 40# and Horse feed is up $4.00 for 100#. If the government doesn't act soon, everything will go up just like gasoline.

·
Registered
182 Posts
This is effecting EVEYTHING...My cat food has gone up $3.00 on 40# and Horse feed is up $4.00 for 100#. If the government doesn't act soon, everything will go up just like gasoline.
That's because fuel cost is in EVERYTHING. The goods have to get to market. When I posted about the high cost of diesel....I wasn't just talking about my truck, but the turcking industry cost which trickles down to everything. The alternate fuels such as hydrogen, electric, etc....everyone seems focused on the individual person. Can you imagine an electric semi-truck?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts