Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to decide on inyake system for my teryx

AFE has a system avalible. worked very well on my rhino

what else is avalible? might need to wait 2-3 months to see what else comes out..:ride:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm using an AFE filter on my truck & like it. Good quality stuff that filters better than a lot of other brands.
Never enough is right, I'm going to wait for a while to see what is announced, but I'll likely still get an AFE setup.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Im hearing that anything you do to the intake is loosing power,can anyone confirm this for us?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have heard the same thing. I am going to hold off on the intake until someone can prove they work and are worth the money.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Its hard to believe that an intake can hurt performance,we need someone with a dyno to try it out? HWtodd has one so let see if he will do it for us.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree that it seems adding more air would hurt performance. I think removing the lid or drilling holes could hurt performance but a tuned air intake with the correct jetting seems like it could only help. I could be really really wrong and would love to know for sure.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Guys mine was at hmf just about 2 weeks ago and no matter what we did to get more are flow removed the lid,small holes in the lid, or just cracked the lid we lost power they changed out jets and needless they didnt find any thing YET that will work. With no lid we lost 5 hp.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I forgot are you running a DJ kit?

·
Registered
168 Posts
We are using the aFe and it does feel quicker off the line. There is more noise obviously in the cabin from it though. Once we receive our exhaust from Muzzys, we will be putting the car on a dyno to see what we have going.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Could the increased airflow cause a drop in power because the exhaust is so plugged up, less timing, etc? At least compared to the Brute Force.

just a guess. I've only had mine for a week & haven't even opened the filter box to look at it yet...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've never heard that giving an engine more air is going to rob horsepower. I thought the more air you can get into the engine the more horsepower you can make. Like forced induction. I'm sure it has to be applied in the right manner, ie, cold air intake etc. Am I wrong on this?

·
I WANT ONE
202 Posts
I have always heard the more air you can move, the more fuel you add, the power you end up with, but Todd said that the carbs need less air to operate the slides in the carbs or something like that. Too many years working on Holleys and too little time working on Keihens, I guess. LOL

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah, Moser58, you may be right there. I'm always tinkering with Holleys and don't know the first thing about Keihens. I'm wondering now if it pays to put on a free flowing filter like a K & N ?

·
I WANT ONE
202 Posts
The Air filter is supposed to help, but any modifications to air box, lid or intakes seems to create a problem.

·
Registered
597 Posts
When you opened up the airbox,you lost the pressure diff through the carb under the slide.Modify the slide & the spring ,just like the rhino or harley cv carb to regain lift of the slide

·
Registered
171 Posts
poflo is onto something there. You need a slight bit of vacuum inside the airbox to get the slide to operate correctly. If we didn't have vacuum operated carbs and had mechanical then the air box mods might help.

The other thing is, I don't see why you would buy a aftermarket airbox even after you change the spring in the carb or modify the engine so it needs more air, just modify your stock box so it will flow more air.

Read this tech article for more info

Air box tech article

I did some research after replying so I am updating this reply. The Stock engine at 100% efficiency can't use for than 103 cfm of air at 7800 and not over 119 at 9000 rpm. Most engines will never see even 90% efficiency and I bet this one is down near 80% but at 90% efficiency you need 93 cfm. So why would you add a noisy bad looking air intake on there that will flow twice the air your engine can even digest? I saw their charts and they didn't lock out the CVT so the torque numbers don't mean squat. I don't trust manufacturers numbers anymore. I will however install one and test it if someone sends me one, I will send it back to them too.

I'm here to keep you from spending money on unneeded items and not getting frustrated.

Shootin Straight,
Todd

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Edit Note if someone eventually designs a new airbox, design it so it is waterproof and possible to snorkle higher. The open design is only good for the duners.

·
Registered
11 Posts
does the AFE actually mount in the stock airbox location? reason i ask is because when they were r&ding the intake for the teryx's, they thought that the cvt outlet, or whatever that is behind the motor facing down to the drive shaft was the intake and they couldn't get the fitment right...lol. so hopefully they have it right now...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts