Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took off the air box lid and noticed that the air filter is fixed, so I figured I would run it without the lid, however its to lean and it wont run. Anybody know what stock jetting is? And what jets should I run without the use of the air box lid? Trying to get some cheap temporary hp....

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
go up to 150's and see where that gets ya,stock is 138 and 140 i think,havent had time to tear mine apart

·
Registered
171 Posts
Be very careful with this idea. The main reason it won't run is there is no pressure differential in the air box and the slides in the carb are not working correctly.

The need for bigger jets is not because you are getting so much air but because the velocity of air going thru the carbs is so much less that you need the bigger jets just to get you back the fuel you lost.

Taking the lid off and it going lean is not the added air but lack of fuel able to get in the stream of air going thru the carbs.

This is a big misconception that we have seen time and time again.

Take that lid off and you will lose power, trust me. Remeber those people who tell you different are trying to sell you a fixed air filter or some kind air intake.

·
TURBO!
425 Posts
So is there any airbox mod we can get away with, without losing power?

·
TURBO!
425 Posts
I put the velocity air filter kit on this weekend. I tried the 12 one inch holes in the air box lid but that was a little much, I ended up covering up 9 of the holes leaving three open. Stock Jetting is 135 and 140. I tried a 150 and 155 and put 2 shims on both the needles and just wasnt enough, so I jumped to a 160 and 170 and put 3 shims on the needles and the thing really came alive! Still needs some fine tuning but there was a huge power gain by doing this. Im also running the dual exhaust from LAC. I dont have a air fuel mixture guage yet so Im not sure exactly where Im at. But I kicked alot of ass with it this weekend.. I beat alot of my buddies that I couldnt beat before I added the air filter and jetting.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Be very careful with this idea. The main reason it won't run is there is no pressure differential in the air box and the slides in the carb are not working correctly.

The need for bigger jets is not because you are getting so much air but because the velocity of air going thru the carbs is so much less that you need the bigger jets just to get you back the fuel you lost.

Taking the lid off and it going lean is not the added air but lack of fuel able to get in the stream of air going thru the carbs.

This is a big misconception that we have seen time and time again.

Take that lid off and you will lose power, trust me. Remeber those people who tell you different are trying to sell you a fixed air filter or some kind air intake.
SORRY TO SAY BUT YOU ARE SO WRONG!!!!! carb dont need back presure you just need the right jetting to make up for the air flow and they are set very lean from the factory.

·
Registered
308 Posts
SORRY TO SAY BUT YOU ARE SO WRONG!!!!! carb dont need back presure you just need the right jetting to make up for the air flow and they are set very lean from the factory.
You can play with jets all you want, but HW Todd is correct!

·
Registered
385 Posts
GET REAL makes 102 hp with a stock air box????? I dont think so, the stock air box dosent flow enough air for a 102 hp motor.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
hey ppf did you buy a jet kit and use the shims out and then just drilled the jets bigger. or did u use reg washers from a hardware store. thanks

·
TURBO!
425 Posts
I just picked up a hand full of jets and shims from my dealer, they had the shims in stock. Im not sure the thinkness of the the shims, they looked like they were around .031" thick. I would have also tried a 160 and 165 main but all they had was a 160 and 170.

·
Official Booyaa Crew Member
166 Posts
I have AC Racing Flow Dual exhaust with the stock jets drilled to 178's with No lid on the box and it fricken screams!

·
I WANT ONE
202 Posts
The engine runs on demand (suck) The more you open the slides, the more vacuum is made. (made by the downward motion of the piston when the exhaust valves open) The more air it sucks, the more fuel that it requires to maintain the proper balance. It has nothing to do with pressure differential. The only pressure problems is altitude and humidity.

·
Registered
308 Posts
GET REAL makes 102 hp with a stock air box????? I dont think so, the stock air box dosent flow enough air for a 102 hp motor.
The 102 was with a set of 44mm webers with an open style K&N! The stock cv style carbs will not run right without a lid!

·
166 Posts
I have AC Racing Flow Dual exhaust with the stock jets drilled to 178's with No lid on the box and it fricken screams!
Sorry to Mis-inform anyone but my calculations on drilling the jets were wrong. I drilled them using a 5/64 drill bit which does not equal 178's

This link explains the Dynojet system vs mikuni sizes.

Road Star Clinic - Mikuni/Dyno Jet Conversion Table

As explained in the article, DJ jets are coded in millimeters. 160 = 1.6mm.

5/64 (divide 5 by 64 to get english decimal ) converts to .078''. To convert to mm, divide by .03937. In this case, 1.985mm or somewhere between 185 - 187.5.

Hope this helps,

I just got back from Glamis and it ran great!

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Sorry to Mis-inform anyone but my calculations on drilling the jets were wrong. I drilled them using a 5/64 drill bit which does not equal 178's

This link explains the Dynojet system vs mikuni sizes.

Road Star Clinic - Mikuni/Dyno Jet Conversion Table

As explained in the article, DJ jets are coded in millimeters. 160 = 1.6mm.

5/64 (divide 5 by 64 to get english decimal ) converts to .078''. To convert to mm, divide by .03937. In this case, 1.985mm or somewhere between 185 - 187.5.

Hope this helps,

I just got back from Glamis and it ran great!
That is great info except for the fact that the Teryx uses Keihin carbs, NOT Mikunis.
Keihin jet sizes are mm, 160=1.60mm, etc.

·
166 Posts
So would they be 198's?

·
Registered
186 Posts
had to order some 40 pilots for my 840 but they haven't come in yet, got the screws three turns out to try to compensate for now.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts