Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I've had enough time to drive this a bit, I'm noticing a jumpiness with the start off in high...if you just go easy with it. Stomp it, you won't notice. In low, I don't notice anything at all.

It makes me think that isn't good on the belt at all. And when I'm doing slow work, checking fence, etc ,etc....I've been using low to avoid it. Others notice this?

·
Registered
82 Posts
belts needs adjusted, they recommend at 20 hours for stretching and should be good for along time afterwards.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got 7 hours on it.....and to me, I haven't been hard on it.

How hard is it to do? How many have done it?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had the same problem with mine starting at about 8 miles. At 20 miles I removed the small shim from the secondary clutch to tighten the belt. This fixed the jumpy feeling on take off in high. It took me about 2 hours total but I spent some time making tools for the job. You have to have a special clutch puller for the primary, or alter a Brute Force tool to work. You also have to have a press or other tool to compress the seconday to disassemble it.
Hope this helps,
Lance

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have to have a clutch puller to pull the pulley, is it an issue to get it back on, or does it hammer in place without issues?

Does anyone have pics of this process anywhere?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I asked it wrong. If you need a puller to get it off, then it must be tight. How do you get it back on with it being that tight? Can you get to started back on the shaft, then just tighten with a nut, which would ease it back on? I haven't seen this, so just trying to understand what is involved. I'm trying to determine if this is something I want to do. How often is this belt adjustment going to need attention?

·
Registered
105 Posts
You just place them both on the shafts and tighten the bolt on the primary and the nut on the seconday to 69 foot pounds. No hammer is needed. Tightening will press them into position. You'll have to hold the pulleys while you tighten them. I just placed an extension against the frame and the pulley to hold it. They say you can place a broom stick in the primary to hold it but I didnt try that.
Lance

·
Registered
65 Posts
The front clutch (primary) is also backward threaded or left handed, at least the Brute Forces are, needs to be torqued to 69 ft.lbs after doing deflection....... As I've stated before, this is a heavy UTV and the belt breaks in quickly (stretches) afterward wear is normal and checks shound be around 200hrs give or take depending on tire size and abuse, when doing the deflection always shoot for 22mm or as close as possible, spec is 22mm-27mm anything past 27mm is loose, anything under 22mm is too tight, setting deflection in the 22-23mm range will result in a long period before needing to do it again.....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Jcummins, the front primary and the shaft it goes on are cut in a cone shape. Once you break off the primary with the puller it comes right off, Its not like it pressed on. When you put it back on you just push it up on its shaft as far as you can and thread on bolt (left handed) and tighten. The male cone shaft and female cone on primary mate up and then tighten to spec. The secondary slides on a regular shaft and is cut like a spline at the end, which locks in place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts