Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
My deflection was 1.55" after 20 hrs. My dealer didnt have the tools nor did they know anything about tightening the belt. So I ordered the tools and did it myself. I had to order an assortment of shims to get belt adjusted to spec. Maybe Kawi will get their s**t together before long and cover belt issues under warranty.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My Teryx is at the dealer with the same issue. The belt is out of spec by double the tolerance. They are fighting with Kawi to try and get it covered.

·
Cooterbob
210 Posts
I did not want to hear that. I am taking mine to the dealer tom. for the first service. They have already told me that I will be the first one serviced there. I explained to them about the belt, and they said they will take care of it. However, I did not ask them if they had the right tools in the shop. What is required to do this job(Set the belt to spec)? I am extremely happy with this machine, but I do not want to put up with belt issues all the time. Do you guys think the stock belt is junk and causing the problems?

973 Posts
This is funny shit! When I took mine is for the first service everything went good. After I heard about all the "belt deflection" talk, I asked them to check it. They did and they said it was all fine. About 25 hours I noticed it didn't feel as peppy. I had them check it again. Once again, they said it was good. Then one night I was heading home from Friday Night Rhinos just driving down the road and the belt flies off. I took it the next day to the dealership ( Kawasaki Superstore ) and they advised me that, if Kawasaki wouldn't warranty the claim, I would have to pay for it. Sure as shit.....I paid for it. They told me that I must have had a "load" on it. I don't see how "me" drivin down the road 50 MPH is a "load"! And here I am again. I now have 80 hours and it doesn't feel as peppy. Sounds like I'm gonna check it myself this time.

PISS ON KAWASAKI!

·
Registered
82 Posts
i'm a kawie dealer and all dealers should have the tools to do the job. if they don't or act like there not sure i would go to the next dealer down the street period. they are basically the same as the prairies and brute forces. the first check is supposed to be done at 20 hours for belt stretch. after that it should be good for around 200 hours they claim. i'm thinking half of that. on our first time it took about a 2. hours to do and we pretty much get them done in about 1.5-1.75 hours. sometimes we have to take apart more than once to get proper deflection. this is routine maintence and kawasaki will not cover it. brandon sounds likes its your dealer and not kawasaki. you say you have 80 hours on it, did they replace the belt? if so you should have adjusted the belt at another 20 hours. did you call kawie and tell them you had it in to them 2 times. i'm sure kawie would have taken care of you. still can't figure out how it would come off with out breaking in two.

973 Posts
i'm a kawie dealer and all dealers should have the tools to do the job. if they don't or act like there not sure i would go to the next dealer down the street period. they are basically the same as the prairies and brute forces. the first check is supposed to be done at 20 hours for belt stretch. after that it should be good for around 200 hours they claim. i'm thinking half of that. on our first time it took about a 2. hours to do and we pretty much get them done in about 1.5-1.75 hours. sometimes we have to take apart more than once to get proper deflection. this is routine maintence and kawasaki will not cover it. brandon sounds likes its your dealer and not kawasaki. you say you have 80 hours on it, did they replace the belt? if so you should have adjusted the belt at another 20 hours. did you call kawie and tell them you had it in to them 2 times. i'm sure kawie would have taken care of you. still can't figure out how it would come off with out breaking in two.
When it flew off, it shreaded into a bunch of little pieces and jammed into the cover. It was pretty eventful! My buddy was behind me in his lifted durmax and just about rear ended me. So after how many hours should you check your belt? If I have to check my belt every 20 hours, then I'm gonna have to do it like once a week! THAT BLOWS! I have buddies who have Rhinos that have loads of hours and still have the stock belt. Kawasaki Superstore gave me the number to Kawasaki Hotline to try and fight the charge. I'll let everyone know what happens tomorrow. :cussing:

·
Registered
82 Posts
sounds like maybe belt broke, was it complete or in two. if it was in two kawasaki should cover it. on a new machine or a new belt replacement, belt will need adjusted for stretch at 20 hours. after first adjustment it should be good for 200 hours as per kawasaki. 20 hours ride time in a week. you are a lucky soul and must have youth on your side!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am thinking about gathering a petition to send to Kawasaki. This seems to be a problem for everyone and I think Kawasaki should address it. I don't believe the Rhino or Rzr has this problem.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I posted thread a while back regarding my transmission noise which I had to take my teryx back twice to get the linkage adjusted. Now I'm wondering if it isn't the belt making noise. I've only got 11 hours on it and its been in twice. I'm afraid to take it back to the dealer because last time I got into a shouting match regarding who was going to cover this. They eventually covered it but I won't go back there. How hard is it to do the belt check and maintenance. Anyone know?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow! that warranty sucks. I hope I don't need it. I also picked up a 700 rhino in Feb. I did have to take it in after the whole wire harness melted. They replaced it and a front brake caliper for free. I guess that harness was like 15 feet long and took them 1/2 day to complete.

·
Registered
145 Posts
ill sign

I am thinking about gathering a petition to send to Kawasaki. This seems to be a problem for everyone and I think Kawasaki should address it. I don't believe the Rhino or Rzr has this problem.

Any thoughts?
ill sign it got 4 hrs mines in the shop rearend or tranny dont know yet but makes a lot of clanking noise in low when i let of the gas dont know about the belt yet just glad i have my rhino to ride while i wait

973 Posts
sounds like maybe belt broke, was it complete or in two. if it was in two kawasaki should cover it. on a new machine or a new belt replacement, belt will need adjusted for stretch at 20 hours. after first adjustment it should be good for 200 hours as per kawasaki. 20 hours ride time in a week. you are a lucky soul and must have youth on your side!
The belt was in about 5 pieces. I put alot of of time on it because I drive it around town. Back and forth to family and to the grocery store.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ill sign it got 4 hrs mines in the shop rearend or tranny dont know yet but makes a lot of clanking noise in low when i let of the gas dont know about the belt yet just glad i have my rhino to ride while i wait
if you find out what the clanking noise is when in low, let me know !! ??

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good luck with that clanking noise. I was told that it is normal by several people on this site. Mine still clanks in low especially when coming down hills. The shop said it was trans linkage adjustment. They have adjusted it twice and still happens, but not as bad. I'm just going to drive it until it breaks and then I can see what all the clanking was about.

·
Cooterbob
210 Posts
Just called the dealer to check on how my 20 hr service was going on my teryx. After all my talk with him about the tools for the belt, he tells me they can't adjust it yet bec. they don't have the puller. I said that is what I told you two days ago. I asked when are you going to get it in bec. you sell the bikes, you should be able to work on them. He said he is trying to get Kawie to cover my belt bec. it has a flat spot in it and the adjustment would be worthless anyways. A flat spot? I have not gotten this thing stuck or has it been under any hard loads. It only has 27hours. Maybe we do need to all call Kawie and start a petition. I can see if it has a lot of miles and hours but it does not. Kawie needs to start taking care of their customers or lose business!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts