Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the oem half windshield and wanted to give a quick review for anyone thinking about it. I searched the forum prior to buying and there weren’t really any reviews, usually just a bunch of posts telling everyone to get the satv flip up.

I went with a half windshield as I live in a hot climate and will pretty much never need to run a full, so the extra expense of a flipdown (or up) didn’t make any sense. The idea was to keep it cool inside the cab while preventing air from hitting me in the eyes. I wear contacts so even with sunglasses on the air dries me out and my eyes start watering so badly that I can’t see after a half mile.

The Kawi windshield looks well made and should install in about 10 minutes. Tiny imperfection from the cutting process present in one corner but not noticeable. You peel the protectant off the windshield and then attach adhesive rubber washers to it. You then have to assemble the clamps and run the hardware through the windshield and clamps to attach it. This was a PITA. The clamps seem just a hair small for the pillars so it was tough for 1 person to squeeze the clamp enough to get the bolt through. I eventually had to grab a sliding clamp from my workbench and use it to compress the windshield clamp enough to get the nut on the bolt. Once on, everything torqued down easily.

Install took closer to an hour due to my screwing around with the clamps. Once installed, the fit looked pretty good. There is weatherstripping on the bottom of the windshield which compresses to the cowl below. Small gap visible at one spot, but otherwise pretty good. The windshield itself is about 8” tall, but it sits at an angle, so it is about 7” from center of dash to top of windshield.

So, did it work? Kind of. I’m 5’10” and have no problem seeing over it so that’s good, but it only seems to divert maybe 50% of the air to my forehead, the rest still hits me in the eyes. Anyone as tall or taller than me should be looking for something maybe more in the 9-10” range.

·
Administrator
3,943 Posts
I had a half and a full. Half for summer and full for winter, obviously. I'm 6'4" and yeah the air basically hit me right in the face. My wife is 5'2" and she was shielded pretty well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Can this windshield be mounted higher on the cage to keep air out of the eyes (and bugs out of the teeth!) but allow airflow above and below? It seems like that's what we all want when riding in the heat.

·
Administrator
3,943 Posts
Yes, it can. I’ve actually done that. Having that additional air coming underneath is nice on a hot day. The only downside is the windshield bounces and shakes more since it’s not resting on the dash.

·
Registered
28 Posts
good post...thanks for taking the time. I have a full oem windshield and your description was all to familiar when I installed my full windshield. I had a Polaris Ranger before this and the front windshield came off by turning 4 handles which locked the windshield in place. Why Kawa can't figure this out is beyond me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts