Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend inherited a 2013 Kawasaki Teryx 4 seater. It is having electrical issues. None of the lights work and the in dash stuff doesn't work.(spedo,odometer). It keeps blowing the 15A Fuse as soon as I replace it. Right now I have all accessories removed and it still doing it. Can anybody help me with this problem or point me in the right direction. I can't find anything on a wiring diagram online. Thanks for any reply

·
Registered
36 Posts
There are 2 15A fuses. One for front and one for rear accessory. #2 fuse goes to power outlet front and #3 fuse goes to power outlet rear.

The ground for front ties to the display. The positive feeds both accessory, light and ignition fuse.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you are familiar with Electrical meters you can use an Ohm meter to determine where your dead short is. With the meter set at ohms, attach the leads across fuse block where the fuse normally goes. You should read a closed circuit, now one at a time begin removing wiring from that circuit until you get an open reading. The last one you removed is your dead short.

·
T2 in Ak
52 Posts
Had this happen last September on a 2013 T4. We isolated it to a chaffed rear brake wire. Pretty common on this year/model. Try unplugging the the light connection in the rear and try a fresh fuse. If it doesn't blow, pull back the wire loom and look for exposed wire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its funny you mention that. the rear brake harness was disconnected with the driver side cut. Her brother is a goober and doesn't take care of his stuff. his reply was. well they didn't work anyway. ha. thanks. ill check this out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so I just followed the wire down from 15A fuse and it ties into the 10A light fuse which was also blown it turns out. I have followed the wires into as far as I can without pulling the plastics out of the cab. this is a nightmare. Anybody have any suggestions. both the 15a acc and the 10a light fuse blow immediately if replaced with new fuses.

·
T2 in Ak
52 Posts
You've got a short somewhere in one of those circuits. If the brake lights were already unplugged its not going to be on the back side (towards the lights) probably in the bundle going to the fuse box. Does the machine still run as usual? Are you just losing the display when the fuse blows?

·
Registered
36 Posts
so I just followed the wire down from 15A fuse and it ties into the 10A light fuse which was also blown it turns out. I have followed the wires into as far as I can without pulling the plastics out of the cab. this is a nightmare. Anybody have any suggestions. both the 15a acc and the 10a light fuse blow immediately if replaced with new fuses.
Yes 4 fuses tie together. 2/3 ACC front/rear and 4/5 Light fuse/Ignition fuse. Could be ignition. Does it start and run?

Also I would follow what PowerStroke wrote.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
guys. it starts and runs. I have no lights. I have no display on odometer. speedometer. if I try to replace the fuse while it its running it blows immediately. if I try and replace while motor is off and crank. they blow. I've pulled the wire all the way down from the fuse box under the hood down to where it enters the cab. I can't find anything.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
You have a dead short to ground somewhere. You aren't going to get anywhere unless you fully trace out the wires. You need to pull off any panel that's keeping you from fully exposing the wire harness. I'm an electrician by trade and know for a fact that you will get nothing accomplished until you can see all of the pieces of the puzzle to inspect them. I can almost guarantee you have a wire rubbed thru somewhere and it is touching the frame. You must find that short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
T2 in Ak
52 Posts
Sweet! You need piece of wire thats the same gauge as the damaged wire. Cut out the section where the wire is exposed and splice in the new piece. Soldering is best, with a piece of shrink tubing to protect the splice, if you don't have a soldering iron butt connectors will work too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do we know what may have caused this issue? is the section of the harness that runs beside the emergency brake toward the rear of the Teryx. right beside emergency brake?

·
T2 in Ak
52 Posts
Hard to determine what caused it after the fact. From the photos it looks like several wires are melted. I would assume that a circuit was overloaded, maybe someone replaced a blown fuse with one that was too high of an amperage rating. The fuse is meant to protect the circuit, if the fuse doesn't blow because it is rated to high, something else usually fails I.e. (wiring, or the accessories being powered)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts