Kawasaki Teryx Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am looking to pull the trigger on a set of 27 Kenda Bear claws Htrs and was wanting to hear from those of you that have a t4 with these installed or at least ride with with someone that does. I would rather get the blackwaters but I have a chance to get a set of these for $410 shipped! which is about 200 less than the blackwaters. I know the load rating per tire is right a 500 lb, but the junk bighorns were less than that. I figured they are 8 ply so why not? WHat do some of yall think.

·
Registered
86 Posts
A guy I ride with has a set on a honda rubicon. He says that they ride great and on dirt light mud and pavement they are great. On rocks and roots they are not so good. I don't know anyone with a set on a SxS.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
You wont be sorry. Mine are great. Rock,mud, hardpack . Wear great. Radial. 8 ply. Very good tire . I have a t2 with 4 seat cage . I run about 8psi in mine in rock with no problems. I have 27x9x12 all 4 corners. Priced right too. O yea they are light weight too.. I had mine a year and would definitely recommend to anyone.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How is the side wall thickness? I am worried about the load ratings since my t4 weighs so much.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
More than your factory bighorns. You every look at the bighorn 2.0 load rating. It ain't what you think it would be. I think the kenda tires are like 500lbs at 7 psi or something along that line. More than bighorns. You wont have a problem. Almost every tire out there , the sidewall is not near as many ply as tread portion. Thats just how it is for some reason. I believe weight and ride play in when a company determines sidewall thickness. My kenda go everywhere roctanes and blackwaters go and I have not had problems where roctanes have come back cut. My rig is heavy with everything on it so im close to t4 weight.

Reactions: crankshaft82

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well for what I can get a set for I am going to have to try them. By the way Ridepate, I am going to have to steal your winch/ bumper cover. That is a nice setup.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have 27x11s all four corners on my T4 run 10psi. in mine. I haven't had any side wall problems with them and I ride a good bit of rocks.
Thank you. Are you running beadlocks? I hate going away from a high load rating. Currently rating mud lites xtrs with a 1000 lb load rating. I just don't want to buy these htrs and blow sidewalls like I did with the big horns.

·
Old Ezra
967 Posts
crank you're focusing just a tad too much on ratings. IMO. I've ran these tires as low as 6#s all the way up to 18#s with zero issues. Pinch-flats (I assume what you are calling sidewall-blowouts) can happen with any tire. It's all about proper tire pressure suited to the terrain.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I just drive my whole family around in this thing I just try to get as much data compiled before I make a decision. Now I have to decide with the extra money I have to go ahead and buy these or buy my beadlocks first as I can only buy one of the other right now. Damn I hate making decisions. lol

·
Registered
86 Posts
Do the htr's run true to size? Is a 27 actually 27 in height?

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Pretty darn close. Nothing like a inch smaller or anything.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I run 28x11 on all four corners, I love them. They don't look as cool as my terminators but they handle a lot better! Mine are on beadlocks, I run about 6 psi. They're very tough tires.

13' T4, white, kawi roof, 30" totron single row, LED backup lights, 2" HL kit, 28" Terms. on M20 Kores. Viper 4k's front and back. NJC's gas pedal mod!

·
Registered
24 Posts
27x9-12 and 27x11-12's on a stock 2014 t2 but did install on ITP Delta steel wheels. No clearance issues and I do have the JBS guards. Gained about 2-2.5" in width which is what I wanted. Gained some ground clearance too which I also wanted. Rears seem to be taller than the fronts. According to the Kenda and Maxxis web sites the Bear Claws HTR have a slightly higher weight capacity than the 2.0's I have an Electric Bad Boy buggy that I put the Kenda Bounty Hunter HT's on mainly because the Bad Boy is so heavy. The Bear Claws might not be quite enough tire for a very heavy side by side. I also have the Bounty Hunter ST's on a Tomcar (which is for sale by the way) that have been an excellent tire. I also like that they have a "flatter tread profile" than some other tires like the Blackwaters. Always had good results from Kenda dirt bike tires too. I think Kenda has always been a great value for any tire.

·
ktsbar69
9 Posts
Ratings for those that read this in the future

Ratings for those that read this in the future. I just ordered 28" Kenda Bear claw HTRs and the load rating is 520lbs back and 430lbs front, the bighorns that came on my teryx4 are 480lbs back and 410lbs front. As you can see, you shouldn t have to worry about being under the factory weight capacities. Hope this helps

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.